Flat Earthers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 Given that the only way two people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead, how on earth do these people think the word won't get out on something requiring the silence of hundreds if not thousands of people?  (@Flyer_PE)

Strongly disagree with this.  May be true among your peers, but not within the intelligence community.  Many people have held many secrets under penalty of death if revealed.  Some of these secrets have been revealed only after decades of silence by those who were involved.  Ex: Former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara revealed only in 1995 that the Gulf of Tonkin incident of August 1964 that supposedly provoked the U.S. into war with North Vietnam never happened.  Just another propaganda piece to fool the public.  George W. Bush later used the propaganda of "weapons of mass destruction" to lie the U.S. into war with Iraq.  A lot of lies are accepted as truth until revealed much later.   Many people are good at keeping secrets.

•  

Last edited by a moderator:
 Given that the only way two people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead, how on earth do these people think the word won't get out on something requiring the silence of hundreds if not thousands of people?  (@Flyer_PE)

Strongly disagree with this.  May be true among your peers, but not within the intelligence community.  Many people have held many secrets under penalty of death if revealed.  Some of these secrets have been revealed only after decades of silence by those who were involved.  Ex: Former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara revealed only in 1995 that the Gulf of Tonkin incident of August 1964 that supposedly provoked the U.S. into war with North Vietnam never happened.  Just another propaganda piece to fool the public.  George W. Bush later used the propaganda of "weapons of mass destruction" to lie the U.S. into war with Iraq.  A lot of lies are accepted as truth until revealed much later.   Many people are good at keeping secrets.

•  
Yet we now know about it, right?  Think of the timeline involved in perpetuating the "lie" that the earth is a sphere.

That reminds me, I saw this over the Thanksgiving break:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/11/27/a-flat-earthers-plan-to-launch-himself-in-a-homemade-rocket-has-been-postponed-again/?utm_term=.aaca035e1961

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/11/25/mad-mike-hughes-cancels-rocket-launch-prove-earth-flat/894762001/

636469560159769224-AP17324142065466.jpg

So his original launch was postponed, but he pulled off a couple launches.  And (big surprise) killed himself in the process of his third flight.  Now we'll never know if the Earth is flat.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/23/808645524/daredevil-mad-mike-hughes-killed-in-crash-of-homemade-rocket

Just cant fathom being that obsessed with something to drive me to that - he is defin not a Gen - X'er (cause we dont give a FFFFFFFFF) 

it looks like they (CIA)  already shut down www.madmikehughes.com

No, but in revisiting this thread, I stand by my original opening comments. Humanity in 2020 has scared the shit out of me.

Mr. Leggo and I watched the Social Dilemma over the weekend. I am now seriously debating getting rid of my Instagram accounts. I have already gotten rid of Facebook and Twitter (I never really used Twitter that much anyway), and possibly also divesting from WhatsApp.

Gotta keep LinkedIn for the kinky possibilities...

I cancelled all the streaming services and went back to cable (crazy its cheaper and was just tired of flipping through shit) so I will have to catch up on my netflix shows in 6 months or so

So does it say the the social media apps spy and steal your data or do they only show you things you want to see?

For example I have never searched for "nurse"shit on my instagram, but my phone likely listens to my wife bitch about work and I will always get nursing stuff when I go to the "search" function on instagram if that makes sense.

I dont really do much politics on FB or insta so my "feed" is usually a mix of dumb gym memes, jeep stuff, fit older women in XF booty shorts :respect: , and nursing stuff..

i think it is mostly to learn what you respond to so they can target the right ads to get more clicks and more purchases so they can sell the ads for more monies? but i havent seen it yet. 

hmmm..  now thats a skill I need to learn here!  

hopefully you all realize how http inept I am with dealing with the last board software update to know thats not my bag...

Latest posts

Back