February 11

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just some saber-rattling by Mr. Army-Navy-Dinner-Jacket?

Wait. I guess that's only Army-dinner-jacket. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I heard on TV this morning that Iran makes similar statements almost every February 11.

Probably the regime is more concerned with what is going on internally and what might happen in the streets of Tehran on 2/11.

just another day in the middle east where they will be wiping their ass with their bare hands...

I think his quote was "We have nukes! F@ck you, we have nukes!" Or something like that.

From here.

U.S. civilian power plants typically use 3 to 5 percent uranium-235. Weapons use "highly enriched uranium" (HEU) with over 90 percent uranium-235. Some 32research reactors and all U.S. naval reactors also use HEU.
First of all, I don't know why Iran wants 20% Uranium since it appears to be useless (i.e. there doesn't appear to be a use for anything other than low-grade 4% or high-grade 90% uranium). Second of all, 20% is a long way from the 90% required for a weapon. I'm not sure how long that translates in centrifuge time, but I'm pretty sure that it's more than the "couple of weeks" that the news stories keep saying.

From here.

U.S. civilian power plants typically use 3 to 5 percent uranium-235. Weapons use "highly enriched uranium" (HEU) with over 90 percent uranium-235. Some 32research reactors and all U.S. naval reactors also use HEU.
First of all, I don't know why Iran wants 20% Uranium since it appears to be useless (i.e. there doesn't appear to be a use for anything other than low-grade 4% or high-grade 90% uranium). Second of all, 20% is a long way from the 90% required for a weapon. I'm not sure how long that translates in centrifuge time, but I'm pretty sure that it's more than the "couple of weeks" that the news stories keep saying.
The 20% is usually for research reactors and medical isotope reactors. Iran is saying they needed it to create medical isotopes. How long it takes to get from 20 to 90 just depends on how many and what type centrifuges they are running.

Back