FE electrical or other discipline

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigking8190

Reaction score
Hi guys, 

I just failed FE electrical again, and I read some of thread about their advice for those ppl failing. now I have same situation  and what you guys think does FE general discipline than electrical ? I heard other discipline are easier than electrical because most of question are simpler and most of can find thru review manual. Please give some opinion about your thought !!   

TWJ PE 

see attached for my diagnostic. This time I took FE electrical course with SOPE and used PPI practice exam. In the beginning, I felt kind of confident about exam but the exam was feel different way. I think I need study for conceptually of each topic and not just keep did question. Please give any advice !  Thanks, 

View attachment 2016_C04_06_Examinee_Diagnostic_872410_1452143_574365b1ea0b3.pdf

I would start with the basics. You basically have 21 questions  (or basically 20%) of the exam which a lot of people consider freebies - certainly Ethics and Economic which seems to be giving you a little trouble.

When you don't rack up those easier points on Items 1-4 you basically have to run the table to pass the exam. While that can certainly be done, it makes it a lot more difficult.

Have you taken a review course?

I would start with the basics. You basically have 21 questions  (or basically 20%) of the exam which a lot of people consider freebies - certainly Ethics and Economic which seems to be giving you a little trouble.

When you don't rack up those easier points on Items 1-4 you basically have to run the table to pass the exam. While that can certainly be done, it makes it a lot more difficult.

Have you taken a review course?
Yes, i took school of PE for electrical 

Hi pigking8190

I would like to ask how long did you prepare for the exam.Have you tried watching video lectures in youtube like Raiya Energy,Rose-Hullman and other university lectures while in the review period.How many hours in a day you study,have you tried lots of practice exams? I am planning to take the exam by July.Thank you in advance for your reply.

Hi pigking8190

I would like to ask how long did you prepare for the exam.Have you tried watching video lectures in youtube like Raiya Energy,Rose-Hullman and other university lectures while in the review period.How many hours in a day you study,have you tried lots of practice exams? I am planning to take the exam by July.Thank you in advance for your reply.
Hi Bluenigh802 

I usually study 2 to 3 hour in weekday after work and weekend about 5 hour. I studied about 4 months. Yes, sometimes review course doesn't explain well that I did go online to do some research and watch some video on YouTube as well. I think I did a lot of question like PPI quiz bank, practice exam, and other source. I kind felt condident when going to take test but it another way when I actual in the exam. 

Would you like to share your study strategy to me for reference ? thanks. 

Hi pigking8190

I started self review since October last year.I read all the chapters in Michael Lindeburg FE Review Manual and solved all the problems in every chapter.I bought NCEES Electrical Practice Examand Other Discipline Practice Exam to have an exposure how they created questions.I practiced 110 questions from FEprep and purchased FE Electrical quizz bank.Knowing calculator techniques(casio fx 115 es plus) is helping me a lot.I am hoping all my efforts will give positive results.Thanks

Yes, i took school of PE for electrical 
This really confuses me. When I took their course, I thought they gave you most of the tools you needed to pass. I thought they were weak on electronics but as far as the basics go to rack up those points I didn't have any problems.

Have you taken the NCEES practice exam?

Yes, i did, and i got about 80%. I felt their electronic was doing pretty well, but there is one of professor who taught digital system, software, computer, electrical material, engineering science was did pretty bad job. then I need to study harder. 

However, how did you study mean while use their review course ? 

Yes, i did, and i got about 80%. I felt their electronic was doing pretty well, but there is one of professor who taught digital system, software, computer, electrical material, engineering science was did pretty bad job. then I need to study harder. 

However, how did you study mean while use their review course ? 
I did the onDemand review course. I would typically watch the video and follow them. When they took a break to work problems, I did too. I also searched the internet for as many practice tests and problems as I could find.

That was pretty much same as I did.  And I also did ppi quiz bank after they finished each topic. I think I may too focusing on solving problem,  then should more focus on understanding each topic. Anyways thank you for your advice! !! 

Back