Father kills self and son scuba diving - sad..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
As a scuba diver this both saddens me and pisses me off at the same time, most everyone in the scuba world knows that cave diving is basically the "army ranger" of diving and you just dont do it if you are not properly trained.

I felt bad letting my kids scuba dive in my 6' pool before they were certified but shit this guy,, arghh...this guys kid wasnt even certified, and apparantly the dad wasnt cave certified either...stupid...

In todays world they will blame the springs for not having grates over the caves in the springs I imagine..

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/27/florida-dad-teen-son-found-dead-in-scuba-diving-accident-testing-out-christmas/?intcmp=trending

A Florida father and his teenage son, anxious to try out new scuba diving equipment they received for Christmas, drowned during a cave dive Wednesday, MyFoxTampaBay.com reported.

Darrin Spivey and Dillon Sanchez, his 15-year-old son, were last seen alive entering the Eagles Nest Sink location in Weeki Wachee, a town north of Port Richey on the state's west coast. There's a sign near the pond's entrance alerting divers that the cave is dangerous and intended for advanced divers.

Spivey was an experienced diver but his son was not certified. Neither were experienced in cave diving. The two were seen by a hunter who saw them suited up at 11 a.m. Christmas morning and when he returned at about 6 p.m., he noticed their car was still there.

After the two failed to return home, Spivey's fiancée alerted authorities. She also took a dive when she saw their car still parked near the diving location, Denise Moloney, a Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman said.

"She wasn't able to find them. We sent divers down Christmas night, and they found Mr. Sanchez at about 67 feet and Mr. Spivey at 127 feet."

The two were found at about 8:30 p.m.

Robert Brooks, an experienced cave diver who knew Spivey, told
external-link.png
The Tampa Bay Times that it seems as though their deaths could have been avoided.

"The sad thing is, I told him, 'One night they’re going to call me to come get you,"' Brooks, who worked in their recovery effort, said

WOW RG. This is really sad but...how stupid someone can be?

I hope to get my cave diving certification this coming year, or at least start working on that, and my wife is already giving me a hard time about it. She did the same with the kayaking thing so it is not new. But this cave diving stuff is serious and not to be tried by inexperienced divers.

I've got around 400 logged dives and I really don't even like doing swim thru's on ships to be honest..

For non divers a swim thru is just when you swim through an open part of the ship that is visible on both sides (normally

I think people need to have a little more respect for things that can kill you, especially if your bringing your kids along...

I've got some good friends that love cave diving and I am sure it's awesome but its just not for me. Good luck with your cert DK!

Ill go in caves with no water all day long though....

Being a self-diagnosed claustrophobic, I can't say as I'd ever want to go cave diving. It's always a sin whenever an avoidable tragedy like this happens.

The dad was twice the depth that his son was. It's got to be awful when you realize that it's the point of no return.

One of the comments had a story where they recovered a lost cave diver and he had scratched "I love you mom and dad" into his tank before he died.

not a diver and never will be...so how did they find them at different levels? They get caught on something or a case of bendz on the way back up?

Novice divers don't have good skills to swim without kicking up the floor around them. It's bad enough in the open ocean and worse in a cave. They probably kicked up silt and couldn't see. Got freaked out trying to get their bearing, used too much air in the process and died...

To cave dive you need to be able to glide like a fish...

RG,

I used to go SCUBA diving back in my days in Puerto Rico. My uncle had a Dive Shop for a few years and I helped him there every now and then. In exchange he taught and certified me for free.

Here in Florida there are some places that are a dream (Google Ginie Springs), Am looking forward to be able to SCUBA dive there.

I have studied Weekie Wache and is one of the deepest and more complicated underwater systems not only in Florida but in the world. I do not understand how a father was so irresponsible to take his son to a place like that.

We went to ginnie springs 2 summers ago when my oldest 2 got certified... Just go during the week. It gets crazy crowded.....and the dive shop will nickle and dime the hell out of you. But it's a really nice place to dive. Just rent your gear from someplace else before you get there...

We have dove some other springs in Florida where there were caves and on the outside was a skull and crossbones sign that said "if you are not cave certified and want to die enter here".... We just stick to the open water....

(I am sooo going to hell for this one...please forgive me...)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/for/4190326944.html

reply ✉ ☎reply

Posted:

@@ Like new Scuba Gear @@ - $395

00m0m_kHYEoRG9Dhs_600x450.jpg

LIKE NEVER USED SCUBA GEAR (OCEAN EDGE), COMPUTER & REG. COMPASS, SNORKEL, BC, WEIGHTS BELTS, THICK & THIN SUITS, BOOTS... $395.00. (FIRM)

*** I can take Visa/Master Card... ***

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back