well fugdge.....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
Well as most of you know I am a big diving enthusiast, and last month I signed up for the Divemaster Program at my local dive shop, one day I want to be an instructor and teach part time when my kids are older and not needing dear old dad anymore and to get your instructor certification you first have to get your "divemaster" certification.. its geared towards basically being an aprentice (slave labor) for a dive shop or resort while you work toward your instructor rating..

my main motivation for starting is my kids scout troop is getting into diving and the Boy Scout Laywers require a high diver to divemaster ratio for scouts diving so I though I would get mine and then the troop wouldnt have to pay as much when we go diving (& maybe I can deduct a portion of divemaster insurance on taxes or something- but thats not my main motivation)

getting to the oh fudge part...

We have been pretty loyal to our dive shop, ive sent lots of business there way when people asked me where to get certified and we became very good friends with one of their isntructors who was doing my divemaster certification (this is about a 6 month course part time), This week I got to help out in my first class in the pool and was really enjoying it.. well I found out today thay my good friend was fired from the dive shop, they underwent an ownership change about a year ago and her side of the story is the new managers wanted to get rid of the old people who had worked there, she has worked there for 8 years... I know alot of times when I went there I would brush aside the new folks to seek out my "friend" who was familair with me, my gear, what I needed, etc. I didnt seem to excited to get to meet the new staff. I am sure lots of other customers did the same...

I just feel like in good concsious I can continue on with this dive shop after they have screwed her over, I also had 28 scouts set to go to their dive shop in August for a discover scuba experience, which isnt big money for them, but it should lead to some business, certification classes etc.. the discover scuba experience is $20/scout..

I had lunch with my friend (the dive instructor) today and she told me not to worry about it, but I just feel like I am f**king over a good friend by continuing to do business with them? its also going to be a huge Pain in MY ass to cancel the scouts discover scuba night cause I have these kids so excited about getting into the underwater world....

My investment in the dive class is only $100 at this point, the divemaster certification is $500 + trips and books + online tests which i already have but they were letting me pay $100 a month instead of all at once..The books and online test I have already done and can use at another dive shop, but the only other similar agency dive shop is much smaller and doesnt have the steady business to have what I consider a decent schedule....

And I cant just pay her to finish my Divemaster because part of it is you have to participate / help in different scuba classes and she wouldnt be able to set that up on her own..

I really dont know what to do...........and will gladly listen to any advice / thoughts?

At first I was thinking 'its just business', and not worry about it. After all it sounds like your friend is not upset about it. But at the same time, it sounds like it is bothering you quite a bit (otherwise you would not be posting here!). So, it seems to me that it might be worth the inconvenience to use the smaller dive shop and get the certifications you need from them. It may be a little more work, etc but you will sleep better at night. And, perhaps the smaller shop will have better service and you may get more from them in the end.

BTW I think it is cool you are diving, and even better to be showing the kids how to do it.

Do you know if there is another dive shop in the area that you could go to if you decide not to use this one anymore?

Co-worker of mine is a divemaster, and a mutual friend of ours owns a dive shop. Just move up here and I can hook you up.

But seriously, I wouldn't cancel the scouts thing at the shop. . . don't let the kids suffer due to this crap. But find a new shop ASAP, and make sure you tell the old shop they are losing your business and why.

and more inportantly, why do all the responses to this thread have a blue font?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try like hell to find your friend a job at another dive shop (assuming she wants to stay in the industry), then make a point of moving your business to her new employer.

If your friend finds work soon in another shop, go to that shop and give her the business. Otherwise, I would avoid the old shop out of indignation at what they did to your friend, and I would only go back there if there was really no other alternative.

I wish I knew if there was some other reason, if it were the former owners I would call them and ask them to be honest, but I just do not know the new folks..

I think I am gonna stick with the scouting night and then after that do my best to cut all ties with them unless I discover that the firing was justified...Most of these shops, aside from the owner tend to change staff rather often, most of the instructors arent college types so they tend to wander from place to place.. The guy that owns the shop in the keys we visit said his #1 problem was keeping decent staff, he said if you get someone other than the boat captain to stay a year its a miracle.. and she was there 8 years.. but again I dont really have all the facts, but it seems fishy..

The dive shop is next to where my wife gets her hair done so Im gonna send her in as a spy to see if she can gain some intel..they wont recognzie her like the would me..

But if I owned a small business like that and I had someone who had developed so many customer contacts I think I would have had to have a very good reason to fire them, otherwise its going to cost you some business..

There is another shop I can do my divemaster at that I went to last night and they seem okay, just a little smaller and they dont have their own pool..so they do classes at the County Indoor Pools..

Try like hell to find your friend a job at another dive shop (assuming she wants to stay in the industry), then make a point of moving your business to her new employer.
This. And I know it's a little intellectually lazy, but sometimes I just like to wait and see what happens next. Maybe your friend will get hooked up with a new, better facility and the next thing you know everything is right back on track.
Collin Powell in his leadership lecture talks about a good leader being able to make a decision with only 60% of the information, but as an engineer, I require more than that, so sometimes I say FTS and just wait until things become clearer.

and why, since RG's last post are the replys no longer in a blue font, but have returned to normal?

ok, with respect to the subject. business is business. If I purchased a small family business I might be inclined to purge the existing help and use my own people (family) instead of employing "outsiders"..

I know alot of times when I went there I would brush aside the new folks to seek out my "friend" who was familair with me, my gear, what I needed, etc. I didnt seem to excited to get to meet the new staff. I am sure lots of other customers did the same...
This is speculation on your part. Unless you have access to their books, then you don't know what % of the business your friend is the driving force for. Losing her may or may not change the bottom line. If they have little competition in that geographical area then clients are somewhat forced by convenience to go there.

If they're offering the same stuff at the same prices then maybe you should give the new owners a chance.

Well they are a single owner, but they have 8 stores in 4 states so they are not really a "mom and pop" type store..

I went by at lunch today to check on the discover scuba diving that I had personally booked with the new store manager about a month ago.. and you know what.. not only was it not scheduled in their "book" they had already booked another group on one of the nights we (thought) we had already set up.....

so now I am looking for a new place to do it these same nights...quality customer service.. the new store manager "forgot" to put it on their calendar........its irritating when you come in person to schedule something so its done right and its not done at all...

sigh........(of course these are not real problems, but just a pain in the ass.. I think this is why no one ever volunteers to do much these days)

^well that in itself is enough to say f' em and move on, let alone the part about them firing your friend.

Obviously they don't give a damn about you and your business, so you might as well reciprocate.

^well that in itself is enough to say f' em and move on, let alone the part about them firing your friend.

Obviously they don't give a damn about you and your business, so you might as well reciprocate.
:plusone:

:plusone: :plusone:

Back