Fast food CEO: How govt regulation is driving us abroad

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know the last time I had any fast food. Now that I am pondering that thought, we had some Wendy's on the way home from visiting friends of ours in Niceville, Fl back in 2012.
I am always curious when people say this. So every time you eat out, you go to sit-down restaurants? You are never out running errands with little time and just need to eat something quick? With a little kid, sometimes the last thing I want to do is go to a sit-down restaurant.
Basically yes. Most sit-down places we go to (small cafes or the like) can be just as quick as fast food and so much better for you nutritionally. Or we eat at home before running said errands to plan ahead. And if that's not an option either, then we bring food along. There's always an alternative to fast food. ;)
Similarly, fast food for us is usually a sandwich shop or deli somewhere. I can't remember the last time I went to a traditional (burger joint) fast food restaurant other than chick-fil-a.

Oddly enough, calorie-wise, sometimes your better off with the Mickie-Ds. I started eating the Bacon McDoubles because they are 460 cal vs 580 cal for a 6" subway spicy italian the way I like. AND it is much cheaper.

Nothing really wrong with fast food, other than most folks overdo it.

But fast food prices are getting ridiculous. I used to grab Toxic Hell on the weekends because it was so cheap, but it has gotten quite pricy locally.

I'm eating salami and cheese sammiches now...got some pepperoni for next week. Even having it sliced at the deli, it ain't too expensive.

Chick-fil-a is our fast food of choice, mainly because the one near us has a great playground that the kids love. Not to mention their chicken strips are actual chicken breast tenderloins. We'll get a burger once or twice a year.

The thing I don't get is the hate for these places. Sure, you don't want to eat fast food often, but every once in a while is not going to hurt you and people that ridicule folks for eating fast food just come across as arrogant food snobs.

The thing I don't get is the hate for these places. Sure, you don't want to eat fast food often, but every once in a while is not going to hurt you and people that ridicule folks for eating fast food just come across as arrogant food snobs.

Same deal with Walmart. I don't get the hate.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is definitely part of the time-quality-money discussion

I tend to eat lunch out because i prefer warm over cold lunches. It's easier. I've tried the bring you own from home and the frozen stuff it just doesn't last and I am back to eating lunch out. If we have left overs than yes I bring that for lunch but we rarely have leftovers.

Fast food as a family is usually only when we are traveling 4+ hrs to visit family

I will not travel with food other than snack type non-perishable stuff and water. More to pack or worry about. and just plain do not have the time to get it ready before we leave.

I will not eat lunchmeat sandwiches prepared the day before (quality issue for me)

Small cafes do not exist at interstate stops it is fast food or sit down and sit down adds at least an hr to the trip

No sit-down restaurants with kiddos. When we only had 1, it wasn't so bad because we would order his food when we ordered drinks, then one of us would feed him while the other ate, then swap. Once a 2nd kiddo was added, our man defense was torn apart as if Peyton Manning was involved...

You could always prepare the sammiches the day of then if quality is an issue. If we are taking food with us, we leave 1/2 hour earlier to account for the extra time needed before leaving.

And it depends on which interstate stop you choose. ;)

Indeed. Everything in moderation is key. Being on an extreme fitness regiment has lead me to do lots of reading about nutrition to supplement the workouts. Reading about fast food and the nutritional content (or lack their of), high sat. fats and sodium, has steered me toward having a lot of contempt toward fast food vendors. So apologies in advance if my posts come across as being a food snob.

Don't know the last time I had any fast food. Now that I am pondering that thought, we had some Wendy's on the way home from visiting friends of ours in Niceville, Fl back in 2012.
I am always curious when people say this. So every time you eat out, you go to sit-down restaurants? You are never out running errands with little time and just need to eat something quick? With a little kid, sometimes the last thing I want to do is go to a sit-down restaurant.
Basically yes. Most sit-down places we go to (small cafes or the like) can be just as quick as fast food and so much better for you nutritionally. Or we eat at home before running said errands to plan ahead. And if that's not an option either, then we bring food along. There's always an alternative to fast food. ;)
Similarly, fast food for us is usually a sandwich shop or deli somewhere. I can't remember the last time I went to a traditional (burger joint) fast food restaurant other than chick-fil-a.

Oddly enough, calorie-wise, sometimes your better off with the Mickie-Ds. I started eating the Bacon McDoubles because they are 460 cal vs 580 cal for a 6" subway spicy italian the way I like. AND it is much cheaper.

But fast food prices are getting ridiculous. I used to grab Toxic Hell on the weekends because it was so cheap, but it has gotten quite pricy locally.

I'm eating salami and cheese sammiches now...got some pepperoni for next week. Even having it sliced at the deli, it ain't too expensive.
I don't eat at subway either, blech. :p

I don't eat at subway either, blech. :p

Locally, it is that or Sub Station II. SSII slices meat so thin you could read a newspaper through it, and its 30% more expensive. Not as many bread or toppings choices, either.

I complained about it to the owner, and he said, "Well, ours is sliced fresh." Ain't worth 30% more, IMO. Especially with less than half the meat.

I like places like Jimmy Johns or Firehouse Subs. Both kinda pricey for what you get though.

You could always prepare the sammiches the day of then if quality is an issue. If we are taking food with us, we leave 1/2 hour earlier to account for the extra time needed before leaving.

Indeed. Everything in moderation is key. Being on an extreme fitness regiment has lead me to do lots of reading about nutrition to supplement the workouts. Reading about fast food and the nutritional content (or lack their of), high sat. fats and sodium, has steered me toward having a lot of contempt toward fast food vendors. So apologies in advance if my posts come across as being a food snob.
we are back to the Time-quality-money arguement

Personally, I think Subway is just as bad as some of the "bad" fast food choices. They claim that they are the healthy option, but most of the subs are not. The wheat bread is really just colored white bread and the packaged, pre-sliced meat is very high in sodium.

Subway isn't even in the same playing field with Jersey Mikes, Jimmy Johns, Firehouse, etc.

we are back to the Time-quality-money arguement
The price of all food has risen. You used to be able to get a fast food meal for $5 and now it's $7-8 or more. At a sit-down restaurant you would be lucky to get out under $10 after tip.

Personally, I think Subway is just as bad as some of the "bad" fast food choices. They claim that they are the healthy option, but most of the subs are not. The wheat bread is really just colored white bread and the packaged, pre-sliced meat is very high in sodium.

Subway isn't even in the same playing field with Jersey Mikes, Jimmy Johns, Firehouse, etc.
QFT!

Chain sit-down restaurants often have worse food choices. A burger at Chili's had an entire days worth of calories and a couple days worth of fat and sodium. The same can be said for many other places.

For whatever reason, consumers frown upon fast-food restaurants and demand nutritional information up front, but let other restaurants slide. Sit-down is not always healthier.

*For the record, I don't eat a lot of fast food and am in great shape.

Their bread is the primary reason I don't like subway. It's terrible.

Chain sit-down restaurants often have worse food choices. A burger at Chili's had an entire days worth of calories and a couple days worth of fat and sodium. The same can be said for many other places.

For whatever reason, consumers frown upon fast-food restaurants and demand nutritional information up front, but let other restaurants slide. Sit-down is not always healthier.

Oh most definitely. But you also don't have to order from the burger section of the menu either. Using the same Chili's example, you could just as well order the Caribbean salad or Santa Fe chicken salad (no dressing). The portion is reasonable and there's a good balance of carbs and protein. ;) Often times it is difficult to find something similar (and of good quality) at a fast food joint.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh most definitely. But you also don't have to order from the burger section of the menu either. Using the same Chili's example, you could just as well order the Caribbean salad or Santa Fe chicken salad (no dressing). The portion is reasonable and there's a good balance of carbs and protein. ;) Often times it is difficult to find something similar (and of good quality) at a fast food joint.
Of course there is going to be good and bad selections on almost every menu and who really orders a salad with no dressing. :D The salads that I would typically want with chicken and toppings are usually over 1000 calories.

Like you said earlier, it's all about the items you order and portion size.

Their bread is the primary reason I don't like subway. It's terrible.

I love their Italian Herb and Cheese bread.

Back