Everything you wanted to know about the CA-Survey/Seismic Civil PE Exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bring it anyway, you're allowed to.  ;)  
Definitely bring a ruler and protractor... most of the drawings for the surveying exam are drawn more or less to scale. If you can't figure out a problem, sometimes it is worthwhile to scale it from the screen. At least, your guess will be better than just a wild/blind guess.

Good luck.

@CAPLS It sounds like the new process is to wait until taking AND PASSING the PE exam before applying to the CA Board. That being said, the application is all prepared to mail for the (previous) 11/6 final filing date. If the exam was just taken on the 27th and we wait until getting results, is there a timeframe how "old" the references/engagements should be (signed/stamped date)? I.e. if they're dated 10/31/17 and the application is mailed in December '17 or January '18 is that an issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
@CAPLS It sounds like the new process is to wait until taking AND PASSING the PE exam before applying to the CA Board. That being said, the application is all prepared to mail for the (previous) 11/6 final filing date. If the exam was just taken on the 27th and we wait until getting results, is there a timeframe how "old" the references/engagements should be (signed/stamped date)? I.e. if they're dated 10/31/17 and the application is mailed in December '17 or January '18 is that an issue?
engagement/reference forms don't expire

For what it's worth, don't overthink it too much. Just follow the instructions, send it in, worst case they mail you back with exactly what else you need. 

Informational post- I noticed the final date to file an application for surveying & seismic exams now shows "There is no final filing date. Applications can be submitted and will be accepted on a continuous basis " Before it was showing a final filing date about 5.5 months before the test taking date. What I understand from what I read is that both exam will be offered 4 times a year, however it does not start until April 2018.

Not a PE said:
@ptatohed

As someone that didn't take a seismic class, I'm trying to figure out which references I'll need to buy and which ones are free off the Internet. Would it be correct to say that the October 2018 tests will use the ASCE 7-16 and the CBC 2016?

I see that I can purchase the ASCE 7-16 from their website, but I was wondering if that's the "best" way of obtaining the book, or if it can be printed for free like the CBC. Also, for the CBC, would it just be Part 2, Volumes 1 and 2, that I would need to download and print from their website, or should I also include Part 2.5 (plus others?)?

@CAPLS

Hope I don't bother you with the umpteenth questions about these, but I have a few queries:

• Does the NCEES Council Record only apply towards people that already have the PE in other states, or can a non-licensed person use it to transmit educational experience to the BPELSG? If it can be used by non-licensed people, will I still need to submit my transcripts over?
  • If my direct supervisor is retiring before I get the requisite qualifying experience, is it ok for him to be one of my references as long as the other references list the required qualifying experience time? If not, would it be ok for my supervisor to sign the form after I have the required qualifying experience, despite my supervisor having already retired?
  • The BPELSG Application for Licensure form checklist says that I will need to request verification of my having passed the NCEES PE exam. That PE exam is listed under the "Verified Exams" box on the NCEES website when I'm logged in, but I haven't actually done anything. Will I need to manually submit some kind of request, or can I assume that this is a non-issue?
  • I have already been fingerprinted for the EIT. I know that it is listed on the BPELSG website that I do not to be fingerprinted again, but is there any formal proof that I need to provide to the Board, or can I just assume that the BPELSG has them already?
Thanks for the help!
BPELSG is currently only accepting NCEES Council Records from those already licensed in at least one state and seeking additional licensure in CA.  This being said, if you claim education credit on your application and include that the official transcripts are located in your NCEES profile, BPELSG staff can find the transcripts there. 

You and your direct supervisor should complete an engagement/reference form when he retires and you can submit that with the others when submitting your full application later. 

In your NCEES profile, there is an option to request exam verification be sent to BPELSG electronically. 

Once you have submitted fingerprints to BPELSG and those have been accepted for the EIT, you do not need to ever submit again.  

Not a PE said:
@ptatohed

As someone that didn't take a seismic class, I'm trying to figure out which references I'll need to buy and which ones are free off the Internet. Would it be correct to say that the October 2018 tests will use the ASCE 7-16 and the CBC 2016?

I see that I can purchase the ASCE 7-16 from their website, but I was wondering if that's the "best" way of obtaining the book, or if it can be printed for free like the CBC. Also, for the CBC, would it just be Part 2, Volumes 1 and 2, that I would need to download and print from their website, or should I also include Part 2.5 (plus others?)?
NaP.  If you do consider a CA-Seismic class, consider EET.   

As for the ASCE 7 and CBC.  Yes, I think it is fair to say the 2016 CBC (or 2015 IBC) will be used on the Fall 2018 exam but I don't know that you can say for certain the exam will switch from ASCE 7-10 to 7-16.  In fact, I would suggest you assume it will still be 7-10 for Fall 2018.  Especially since the 2016 CBC references the 7-10.    

I don't know of a way to find the ASCE 7 (legally) in free PDF but I am sure it exists.  The CBC is legally free, as you know.  For the CBC, you'll only need Volume 2 of 2.  

You'll want a good workbook and some good practice problems.  Again, I'd recommend EET's material.  

Good luck!  

@Not a PE

If you need a surveying reference book, I've got PPI's brand new 2017 Surveying reference manual. I just used it for October 2017 and it's all I needed. I felt completely prepared for the exam with it.

PPI sells it for $120. I'll give it to you for $100.

@Not a PE

If you need a surveying reference book, I've got PPI's brand new 2017 Surveying reference manual. I just used it for October 2017 and it's all I needed. I felt completely prepared for the exam with it.

That would be selling, not giving.  ;)  

when I spoke to the PE office last week, they said the first period would be April to June, so I think calendar periods as you mentioned could be accurate. 

Does anyone know when you can sign up for the EET Survey course for the Q2 exam period? I just received my technical approval about a week ago.

Thanks

@Not a PE

Hi Cal91! I rented that same George Cole's 'California Civil Surveying Reference Manual' from Amazon. I've only this book so far for surveying and I'll self-study. Any tips you can share for studying through the book, I would like to know. For example, do you remember which chapters were important to answer most questions in the actual test? Any topic you feel you were under-prepared? Finally, did you use any supplemental study materials for surveying. I noticed George Cole did not write a practice exam book.

image.png

Not a PE said:
Hi @CAPLS, back with another question:

I see on the website that the Seismic/Land Surveying will be administered on a continuous basis, and I will be allowed to take the test every quarter, or about 4 times a year. If I am approved to take those exams for the October 1st-December 31st quarter, is there only one day during that quarter that the exam is held (say, October 15th), or could I take the exam on any day in October, November, or December, should I so choose (and/or according to the Prometric testing center's availability)?

If the second part of my question is correct, how could I find out the dates that a Prometric testing center is offering the exam before my application is approved, or is that a question I should be asking the Prometric testing center about?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to schedule a vacation in October, but since there is no particular date listed, I am unsure if I would be scheduling the vacation right as I'm supposed to take the exam.

Thanks!
All good questions.  After April 1, 2018, the two California Civil exams are scheduled to be offered any day that the CBT Centers are open.  Generally speaking, this is 6 days a week, though some are open on Sunday and there are extended hours at some in higher population areas.  Assuming your initial application is approved, expect that you will be authorized to sit once per exam, per quarter, in the quarter following the date you submit your application.

Also, I know of some that have scheduled to sit at a CBT Center in the location where they were vacationing.  So, there's always that option too (if you are a glutton for punishment)

Not a PE said:
Thanks! 

I don't think they have a Prometric testing center in a non-U.S. territory or Canada though, haha.
Prometric has CBT centers all over the world.  However, California only allows their state exams within the USA  and territories.

Does anybody have a pdf of the full set of either the 2015 IBC or the 2016 CBC?

I know that in regards to the seismic, both the IBC and CBC are same thing, but which one have most used? Is there a "better" one to use..?

I've included a link to a pretty cool tool that I think may help with studying for seismic. They have a seismic calculation module with really clear reports for seismic loads. The trial period is one month, which should give you enough time to study.

https://napior.com

All good questions.  After April 1, 2018, the two California Civil exams are scheduled to be offered any day that the CBT Centers are open.  Generally speaking, this is 6 days a week, though some are open on Sunday and there are extended hours at some in higher population areas.  Assuming your initial application is approved, expect that you will be authorized to sit once per exam, per quarter, in the quarter following the date you submit your application.

Also, I know of some that have scheduled to sit at a CBT Center in the location where they were vacationing.  So, there's always that option too (if you are a glutton for punishment)
Very nice. I've been thinking about getting licensed in CA in case I ever decide to do consulting work out there. It's good to know that I don't have to travel there for the exams. 

Hi everyone. 

I recently heard from someone that starting this second quarter of 2018, and now that the seismic and surveying will be given on a quarterly basis, results for these two exams will be given immediately after submitting the exam...

Is this true?? and if so, how is then being curved? 

Hi everyone. 

I recently heard from someone that starting this second quarter of 2018, and now that the seismic and surveying will be given on a quarterly basis, results for these two exams will be given immediately after submitting the exam...

Is this true?? and if so, how is then being curved? 
It is not immediate. The CA Board plans to release scores on a monthly cycle. 

@CAPLS based on the new quarter system, is it possible to fail the exam in the end of the quarter and be able to take it again the very next quarter, just based on the logistics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It is not immediate. The CA Board plans to release scores on a monthly cycle. 
@CAPLS So i just took my seismic exam last Friday, does that mean that my results will go out with everyone who takes it in April? So is that 6-8 weeks after the last day of the month or is it a shorter time frame?

Back