Engineering dictionary, has anyone actually needed it?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I was asking if someone ever used it during all the practice problems they solved (I listed sources of over 1000 problems) was because if someone says "I used it during the PE exam", there is no way to verify that, but if you can show me a practice problem that it was needed, then that can be verified.

Other engineering, particularly types of civil, a dictionary is very worth while. I posted topic to the mechanical thread, and specifically noted ME PE every chance I could, because I am talking about the value of the dictionary for the ME PE.

Again, even though people on this board have solved thousands of ME PE practice problems, no one can recall a specific instance it was needed.

But I give up; I will no longer look for a bonafide ME PE practice problem that would require it. (and as I have posted several times that there nothing wrong with bringing one just in case).

My primary references were: MERM, Mark's, Shingley's and Machinery handbook (MD depth). The MERM was the only reference I used on the exam.

-BPH

was because if someone says "I used it during the PE exam", there is no way to verify that,
Well, you could believe them because they have no reason to lie about it.

You wouldn't need it for practice because, as I explained before, most practice problems people use are written by either ppi or NCEES. Most of them are designed to be answered using the MERM, EERM, or whatever.

And obviously I'm not saying the dictionary is the only reference that might have the information. It is just a convenient thing when you don't understand a term.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MERM was the only reference I used on the exam.
when I sat for the exam, there were a lot of people taking the mechanical exam with nothing other than MERM and a calculator...

I went the other route and brought like two milk cartes worth of references, most of which I never used... MERM, Shigley, Gas & Steam tables and Mark's for one Hail Mary question is all I really used.

Well, you could believe them because they have no reason to lie about it.
I absolutely don't think anyone would lie about it, I just think that it’s likely I could find the term in the MERM or Mark’s, and there is no way to know this unless someone gives the details, which they aren't allowed if it's an actual exam question.

I was just kind of hoping instead of everyone saying "yes, get a dictionary, I used it for a question or two", I could get an example of a ME PE exam prep question that requires an engineering dictionary.

Anyway, kind of beating a dead horse at this point.

I just have more time on my hands now that the exam is done, and I enjoy posting & reading here, kind of got addicted to it as a means of procrastinating and learning while studying for the exam. Need my daily fix. But on to other topics now.

-BPH

this is a great place to pass the time while you wait for results. Some of us get hooked and hang around long after!

Anyway, kind of beating a dead horse at this point.
Got that right. I just don't understand why you are so vehemently against the engineering dictionary. Why does it matter to you that some people buy one just in case there is one question that it would help them on? For some, it might be easier to look a term up in the dictionary that it is to check the index/TOC on 2 or 3 other references. That minute or so saved on one problem may help them finish the exam in time.

Did the publisher of the engineering dictionary kick your dog or something?

^Beat me to it, wiheld. I just don't get the vehemence about the engineering dictionary.

I understand where bph is coming from... for me it was somewhat frustrating how useless the thing was... there were other references that did not help me on the test, but they at least helped during studying.... dictionary, nothin!

This topic was not meant to be about whether you should bring an engineering dictionary to the ME PE exam. I should have been more clear about that.

Please read the original post, I said "Can anyone point to a single sample problem ....", and I ended the post with "just curious".

Is this an out of bounds question? Should I have not asked it? Have I insulted anyone? I guess nobody else shares my curiosity or interest and I will leave it at that.

I apologize if I have not been articulate or if my comments have offended anyone.

I’ll be more careful about starting topics in the future, and try and limit my comments to the standard stuff.

-BPH

This topic was not meant to be about whether you should bring an engineering dictionary to the ME PE exam. I should have been more clear about that.
Please read the original post, I said "Can anyone point to a single sample problem ....", and I ended the post with "just curious".

Is this an out of bounds question? Should I have not asked it? Have I insulted anyone? I guess nobody else shares my curiosity or interest and I will leave it at that.

I apologize if I have not been articulate or if my comments have offended anyone.

I’ll be more careful about starting topics in the future, and try and limit my comments to the standard stuff.

-BPH
No, it's not really the question that bothered me. In fact, if the consensus is that the book is utterly useless, this thread would be useful in saving future test takers some money. It was more the militant way you kept repeating the question. It was like you were pissed that we weren't sending you specific sample problems that required the reference in question. And you seemed to repeat that, in increasingly aggressive language, after every unsatisfactory post.

^I didn't get militant or aggressive from him... I thought it was a valid question.

did we :deadhorse: here? yes, certainly. but I don't think anyone was out of line here.

my .02

Last edited by a moderator:
^I didn't get militant or aggressive from him... I thought it was a valid question.
did we :deadhorse: here? yes, certainly. but I don't think anyone was out of line here.

my .02
Just an impression. And quite frankly, it doesn't matter that much to me. I was just explaining the reasoning for my first post.

Back