Electrical PE - Electrical & Electronics

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricaltx35

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just passed the Electrical PE (Electrical and Electronics) after the first time, praise the Lord!

I visited this board a few times leading up to the exam and there were very few people taking the E&E version, so I thought I would post some books that were the most helpful to me, these are books I used in school (graduated 2005).

Circuit Analysis (DC, AC, transient response, phasor analysis, bode plots, fourier, etc)

Electric Circuits 6th ed, Nilsson/Riedel ch 5,6,7,8,9,14,16 among others

Electronics (op amps, diodes, BJTs, FETs)

Microelectronic Circuits 4th ed, Sedra/ Smith ch 2,3,4,5

Digital Logic Design

Fundamentals of Logic Design 5th ed, Roth ch 1,2,4,5,7, and maybe more are good but I ran out of study time

When studying for an exam like this, stuff that starts from the beginning and gives clear explanations and examples is priceless.

For the most part I found the review manual type books too scattered to follow. I tried to study with them at first, and I did bring them with me to the exam, and it may have helped on a few questions. I also had a hard time finding good EM, communications, and control systems study materials, maybe it’s because I wasn’t really that strong in them when I was in school. I studied with my college texts and brought them with me to the exam, but nothing that I can recommend like the ones above.

As far as control systems go, block diagram reduction is fairly easy to learn and is an easy way to get a few points. A chart showing all the operations is not hard to find.

Take and know the NCEES sample exam, go over everything you missed.

Oh yeah and I studied for almost 3 months, I don’t know how many hours but basically if I wasn’t working or asleep, I was studying.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Hey everyone,
I just passed the Electrical PE (Electrical and Electronics) after the first time, praise the Lord!

I visited this board a few times leading up to the exam and there were very few people taking the E&E version, so I thought I would post some books that were the most helpful to me, these are books I used in school (graduated 2005).

Circuit Analysis (DC, AC, transient response, phasor analysis, bode plots, fourier, etc)

Digital Logic Design

Fundamentals of Logic Design 5th ed, Roth ch 1,2,4,5,7, and maybe more are good but I ran out of study time

When studying for an exam like this, stuff that starts from the beginning and gives clear explanations and examples is priceless.

For the most part I found the review manual type books too scattered to follow. I tried to study with them at first, and I did bring them with me to the exam, and it may have helped on a few questions. I also had a hard time finding good EM, communications, and control systems study materials, maybe it’s because I wasn’t really that strong in them when I was in school. I studied with my college texts and brought them with me to the exam, but nothing that I can recommend like the ones above.

As far as control systems go, block diagram reduction is fairly easy to learn and is an easy way to get a few points. A chart showing all the operations is not hard to find.

Oh yeah and I studied for almost 3 months, I don’t know how many hours but basically if I wasn’t working or asleep, I was studying.

I found "Design of Feedback Control Systems" by Stefani, Shahian, Savant, and Hostetter an excellent source for all things controls (bode plots, pole-zero response, and block diagrams).

"Anntennas for all applications" by Kraus is an okay source for antenna stuff.

I found "Fundamentals of Applied Electromagnetics" by Ulaby a good source for any transmission line/smith chart type questions.

Hey everyone,

Digital Logic Design

Dude! Sedra and Smith! I had the same book in college and I considered studying from it except that those chapters amount to an awful lot of reading (500 pages or so). The Dorf/Bishop book was pretty good for controls: http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Control-Syste...f/dp/0130306606. As for EM/comms/RF there are very few good study guides, but then again are they really going to throw a Smith chart problem at us considering we can't bring in a compass? No calculus on the exam greatly reduces the types of questions that can be asked and pretty much throws complex antenna/EM problems out the window. Even the EERM boiled EM material down to finding electric field strength from a given charge (point, line, plane, etc.), force between charges, and potential difference problems. Overall, the above poster is on the money.

Chelapathi Volume II is for people who are taking electronics for the PE exam and I believe this thread about electronics.

Back