EIT cert and requirements/registering for PE in IL

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1morecontrolfreak

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new guy here. I have some timeline questions about the EIT/PE that I can't find some CLEAR information on.

I took and passed the FE in October 2007.

I graduated in December 2007.

I was issued my "official" EIT certificate from IL in April 2008 (they lost transcripts, took 4 months to figure out)

I started working January 14th, 2008

Currently still working in same position

So i currently have 3 years, 11 months of experience. So I think if I wait until January 15th, I can apply to NCEES for the PE and have the four year requirement.

I found this thread below talking about issues with taking the IL PE without the 4 years experience:

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=13800

My question here is about the EIT certificate. Do I have to have the EIT certificate for four years? Or is the EIT really just a formality for passing the FE?

Am I being too paranoid here? Any info appreciated.

Scott

Your biggest problem might be the registration deadline for approval from your state board. I know that in Ohio, you must be approved by the board prior to registering for the exam, and that deadline is in December for the April exam cycle. You'll want to make sure you will have your experience complete prior to that deadline, or you'll need to wait until October.

I was in the same position last year. I started my engineering work on January 21, 2007 (though I was an Army officer for 6 years prior to that) and thus met my 4 years last January. Since our registration deadline is in December, I was not eligible to take the PE in April...missing the cutoff by about 4 weeks. So, I took it this past October, and luckily passed.

Some states might be different, but at least in Ohio, and I am fairly sure in most other states, you do not need your EIT for four years. You just need 4 years of engineering experience under the supervision of a PE. I took my FE in October 2010, my PE in October 2011, and have my registration active, so no issues. I'm sure someone in Illinois will come along shortly to verify that's the case there, but I know in most cases, you don't need your experience after your FE. In any case, the issuing of the certificate should be a non-issue, and in your case, I would imagine that the date of the FE would be important even if IL does have the 'must have EIT for four years' rule.

Ya unfortunately, I think you'll miss the cut-off date for approval as you'll need to have 4 years of experience at the time of submitting the application. In MA there's no requirement to have 4 years with the FE, you just simply need to have passed it. I havent heard of any state having this requirement but it would be a good idea to double check.

The cutoff date to apply in IL is February 10th. So really what I have to do is just wait until Jan 16th, right? That gives me 4years, 1 day of experience!

Back