ebay rant...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same thing happened when the Steelers moved from Three Rivers to Heinz Field. My boss had 2nd generation 45 yard line tickets on bottom level. When they showed him where is new ones would be at Heinz Field (5 yard line) he told them to stuff it.

Steelers have over a ten year waiting list, they want to push the 'new money' in too.

It's sad, since Pittsburgh is supposed to be the BLUE COLLAR city

Does the PATS charge SPL (Seat purchase licenses) i.e. paying for a license just to purchase the tickets?
I think when they built the new stadium a few years ago they started charging this SPL fee.

They told ticket holders that they could keep the same seats or try for better seats. My Dad has seats on the bottom level, dead center in the end zone and he decided to keep them. But another guy that used to sit there tried for tickets on the 50 yard line and is now 6 seats from the very top of the stadium, way on the edge. It's a totally different experience than it was just a few years ago.

Although... my brother has some seats in the Fidelity Clubhouse section. I must admit, it's a nice way to see the game. If the weather is crappy, you can go inside and watch through the windows or get warm for a few minutes before heading back out ot the stands. bar and food concessions are right there and depending on the game some Pats veterans are there signing autographs or the cheerleaders are walking through for meet/greet/photos. Plus, you get to park right next to the stadium. It's easy to get spoiled.

I have been a season tix holder for 10 years, I am in th eend zone, row 15, aisle seats. I have tried to move around, but I cant give up the aisle seats. it makes my life easier when I take one of the kids.

I think last year I only went to 3 games (of course I was studying alot) but I have lost interest, its still a hot ticket in town, so I would give some to clients and expense them if I couldnt go to games. but each year the perks given to STH's seem to get less and less, and the prices keep going higher and higher.

my seats have doubled in price the 10 years I have had them.

I re-upped this year but I am seriously thinking of ditching them next year.

I don't get on e-bay often. If I want to sell anything / buy anything - I just have my father-in-law do it. he's like addicted. I think he's gotten like 5-10k positive feedbacks. Just buys and sells CRAP. He and his wife do a lot of collectables, glassware, hummel, etc. And he's got a Gold Wing that he buys parts for - I think the only thing original on that thing is the frame.

I have bought like 7 things on eBay.

My brother besides being an engineer, is a power seller on eBay. I think he is doing more than 10K of profit per month now.

Also note, if you are going ot sell sports tickets on eBay, do not put a picture of the tickets on eBay. The teams will track your season tickets down and cancel them because of their contracts with Ticketmaster, and other last minute over priced ticket vendors. The big boys don't like competition. :multiplespotting:

I have bought like 7 things on eBay.
My brother besides being an engineer, is a power seller on eBay. I think he is doing more than 10K of profit per month now.

Also note, if you are going ot sell sports tickets on eBay, do not put a picture of the tickets on eBay. The teams will track your season tickets down and cancel them because of their contracts with Ticketmaster, and other last minute over priced ticket vendors. The big boys don't like competition. :multiplespotting:
I find it humrous that a lot of tickets "sales" on ebay read like " this auction is for a white number #10 envelope. Inside the envelope are two tickets to......" That way they're not selling you the tickets, you're paying $100's for an envelope (that happens to contain two free tickets).

Last edited by a moderator:
thats a good idea, I will have to remember that if the falcons start doing it.

they do use "stubhub" where you can sell your tix (for any price) through them, that way they still get a cut. Its like NFL endorsed scalping.

I never post a pic or the exact seat #, just the section and a range of rows.

I'm one of those ebay buyers that waits until a minute before the auction ends (to bid) to get the best deal possible :D

The thing that irritates me is that I will stay online and pay thru paypal right away and then it will take the seller 4 or 5 days (and a couple emails from me) to accept the payment. Then it usually takes another 2 weeks to get the item.

Usually, though, the bargin outweighs the hassle :17:

I will usually only buy hard to find/collectors items on ebay. Why buy stuff I can get for $5 more in the store and have right now? Doesnt seem worth it to me a lot of the time. Plus most people rip you on shipping anyway.

what got me started on ebay is I had a huge VHS collection (really insane), and when DVD became affordable I had to get rid of them and didnt want to just give them away at a garage sale or the garbage so I put a few on ebay to see what I could get for them, I think most I only averaged about $3-4 bucks for each (back in 1999/2000) but since the shipping was paid by them I didnt mind the hassle of mailing all of them.

I was lucky that we had a postage meter at the house for my wifes business which made shipping really easy, but once I cleared out all that junk I just started looking for anything of value that i could ship rather cheap.

I did notice that ebay bought a large share of craigslist a few years ago, I think they saw them cutting into their business and will eventually own them like paypal.

My brother got started on Hotwheels. He noticed that the busses go to Puerto Rico for $70. So he started buying sets for $100, and seperating the busses out to sell individually. The others would go for 1-5 each.

I've almost been burned a couple times on eBay but managed to get my money back. One time I bought an out of print vhs that was guaranteed new in box, yet it showed up fubar. I even got that seller to refund the overnight shipping, but I still can't figure out what she was thinking when she listed it as brand new.

I've had people email me asking me to end the auction early for the minimum bid because they wanted it for their daughter's birthday in a couple days. I guess they were hoping I didn't know it usually sells for double my minimum bid. :210:

I've almost been burned a couple times on eBay but managed to get my money back. One time I bought an out of print vhs that was guaranteed new in box, yet it showed up fubar. I even got that seller to refund the overnight shipping, but I still can't figure out what she was thinking when she listed it as brand new.
I've had people email me asking me to end the auction early for the minimum bid because they wanted it for their daughter's birthday in a couple days. I guess they were hoping I didn't know it usually sells for double my minimum bid. :210:
Ive had people email me about that also and I would usually tell them I would end it early for a price I was willing to accept. Most of the time they would go for it.

As for getting burned I must admit I burned someone on ebay. I was strapped for cash while in school so I ebayed my old laptop I didnt use anymore. Sold it for about $400. It worked just fine but a couple of the USB ports didnt work and one of the PCMCIA slots was jacked up (it still had 1 working USB and 1 PCMCIA slot so its not like it was useless). I did mention that stuff in the VERY fine print of the auction but the guy emailed me 3 or 4 times about it wanting some money back for the broken parts. I told him no way everytime. He finally left me along and the best part is he left me a positive feedback. The system works!

I cant stand money orders, I list in bold letters (PAYPAL Only) I know pay-pal has its own issues (for sellers not buyers though) so nothing pisses me off to get an email after the auction is over to ask where to send the money order to :Locolaugh: Jesus learn to read people..
You can restrict your auctions to people with PayPal accounts. I think it's buried in the options somewhere. If they have them and are still asking for MOs that'd be even more frustrating.

Okay so here is a ebay moral delimma for you all to help me on..

I never got the money order for an item I was selling. It was a $10 item (dvd) and I was in the process of changing jobs I had abot 15 ebay items to send out. I didnt want to get lost in the transition but I sent the dvd out without receiving the money order first.

I did agree to let this ebayer use a money order (they asked before hand) they have a 100% positive feedback (239) rating. They left me positive feedback and I contacted the buyer several times stating that above (that I sent him the movie even though I havent gotten paid) its now been a month and I never got the money order. I have been picking up old mail at my previous job and it never made it.

I have told the buyer I want the money or else I will ruin his perfect 100% feedback. He doesnt seem to want to pay me the money again.. Yeah its kind of my fault for sending the item without payment, but it was only 10 bucks and I mainly didnt want to forget to send it out while I was in between jobs..

so basically I am being an ass, I know he cant change his feedback so I am using this strong arm tactic..

what do you all think? Am I just being an asshole or is it my fault for mailing the item?

Last edited by a moderator:
I say fuck him and his 100% positive feedback. You bent your policy for him, and he screwed you (yeah it was only 10 bucks, but it's the principle), so I say screw him back...

Give em hell, RG!

ktulu

I'd say thats 50/50. You are being an ass, but an ass who is owed money. Same time you probably shouldn't have mailed it out either.

My ebay rant:

I used to have a ebay account. Back when we and my wife were just dating she would sell stuff on ebay (still does) and she would use my account to get people to start bidding on stuff. Nothing major, just a bid here and there to get people to start bidding on stuff.

Well low and behold ebay thought I killed their mothers and banned my account. My wife thought it was hil-aiiiiirrr-ious. right, so now I can't bid or buy anything. I let it go and a 3 years ago I re-registered with a new email address and screen name. But now that ebay and paypal are butt-buddies they wanted me to verify my paypal with ebay. Which I did. But about 6 months ago I got an email from ebay saying my new account was banned for a violation of the rules. I didn't know what was going on but ti turns out that ebay noticed the email with my paypal matched my old ebay account and therefore banned me for life. Once again, I kicked a puppy or something.

I tried to get it repealed, and they sent me this form to fill out. It basically says that I am WRONG and that I broke the rules and that I will never do it again. I AM A BAD PERSON!

Rant over....

well at least they dont hold a grudge for to long..

if you try a different pay pal account (different visa card) would they notice that?

There are some companies out there that are basically a new version of pay-pal but they are not that big yet.

but yeah using one ebay account to increase anothers bid is considered a major ebay no-no.

but I am sure a whole lot worse than that happens

He didn't send you the money for the item he got...why wouldn't you give him bad feedback??

Back