EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mafia Round: Modified Turnip Rules

Alright guys here we go again...

There are townsfolk, and Mafia members. Townsfolk are going to try to eliminate the Mafia before the Mafia eliminates them. The game ends when either all of the Mafia is eliminated (town wins), or there are equal or fewer townsfolk than Mafia members (Mafia wins).

Since this is another tournament round with tournament rules, there will be NO PMING outside of people who have roles, who will be communicating in moderator PM threads, and you MUST post at least one READ post of another player and/or players per day (before 9PM EST) to proceed to the next voting day.  It is in the interest of both mafia members and townies to not prematurely lose members by not posting.

The game will start on 6/15, requiring posting on Day 1.  There will not be a lynching on Day 0 (Sunday) lynching will begin on Day 1 (Monday).  Mafia can lynch Day 0 and JoAT characters can use skills Day 1. 

There will be three (3) characters in this round, with one of the characters encompassing 2 of the standard characters we’re used previously (the cop and doctor roles).  I’ve described them, and their roles, below:

Mafia:

• There will be 3 mafia members.  
  • It is mandatory for the mafia to kill someone each night.
  • Mafia can communicate at any time via PM to other mafia players.
  • The mafia kill is displayed as an action to the Tracker and Motion Detector (actions of the Jack of All Trades [JoAT]).
  • If mafia kill a special character, the role will not be revealed.
  • Since we are playing with less players than required for tournament rules, the mafia will still kill tonight but it will be an untimely death of @SaltySteve. Thank you for your sacrifice.
  • The mafia response must be received by 9PM EST.  The Mafia must kill starting DAY 1.
Jack of All Trades (JoAT)

• There will be 2 JoAT players.
  • They are separate players and will not be in communication with each other.
  • The JoAT player will have the following actions: 9x Doctor, 9x Motion Detector, 9x Tracker
  • Doctor - Standard doctor role; you can save someone by sending the mod their name. In Tournament Rules the thread will not learn the specific name of the user saved by the JoAT from the mafia, they will only know that the mafia did not complete a night kill.  If the person has been saved, they will continue to live in-game, unaware they were targeted, and the JoAT who used the Doctor skill will be the only member who knows they were night targeted/saved.
  • Motion Detector - Motion Detecting another player will detect any motion surrounding that player that Night. If they visit someone or were visited by someone else, you will detect motion. If they did not visit anyone and were not visited by anyone, you will not detect motion. You will not learn what type of Night Action was used on or by your target or who used those actions.  The mod response to this skill is ‘Motion detected’ or ‘No motion detected’.
  • Tracker -  Tracking another player informs you who that player used a Night Action on that night, if any. You will not learn what type of Night Action your target has.  The mod response to this skill is ‘Tracked player used a night action on BLANK’ or ‘Tracked player did not use a night action’.
  • The JoAT response must be received by 9PM EST.  The JoAT can use skills starting DAY 1.
Unlike the mafia, the JoAT can choose not to use a night action. If you do not submit an action, you will forego your action on that day. Keep in mind that if you have multiple uses of your abilities, you must cycle through all of them before being allowed to reuse any of them.

Townie

• There will be 7 Townie players.
  • Townies cannot use night actions.  
  • Townies can have night actions performed on them (kills, saved by doctor, motion detected, or tracker). 
  • Townies can begin to lynch on DAY 1
  • If Townies lynch a special character, the role will be revealed.
I will be sending more specific instructions to the members of the Mafia and the JoAT. If you did not receive a PM from me, then you are a regular townsfolk.

REMEMBER; DO NOT PM THIS GAME.

You may use this thread to vote and post about the game. Anyone (playing or not playing, eliminated or not) can use this thread to speculate, discuss, accuse, or otherwise participate in the game; just please make sure to follow regular EB forum guidelines.

To vote on a person to eliminate, mention me @SaltySteve and tell me specifically that 1) you are voting and 2) the username of the person you are voting to eliminate.

Example: @SaltySteve I vote for @Roarbark because he keeps borking all night long

Please submit your votes by 9:00 PM EDT/8:00 PM Central/7:00 PM Mountain/6:00 PM Pacific Time/Whatever Roar and Bly-time.

Your vote only counts if you are playing and not yet eliminated. If there is a tie for most votes, I will pick one of the voted users at random and/or require the tied players to send me 10 rounds of 'rock, paper, scissors'. If there are no votes, I will pick a person at random (i.e. role will not matter) to eliminate; suffice it to say it’s in both groups’ best interest to vote for at least one person.

Finally, you are not allowed to reveal your role, privately or publicly, after you have been eliminated. You may not post screengrabs of private messages in this thread.

For reference, the 12 players in this round are:

@ChebyshevII PE

@DuranDuran

@jean15paul_PE

@squaretaper LIT AF PE

@RBHeadge PE

@chart94

@MadamPirate PE

@JayKay PE

@NikR_PE

@ptatohed

@vhab49_PE

@SaltySteve (Killed by mafia on Day 0)

I have sent out messages for specific roles. If you have not received a private message from me, then you are a regular townie. 

If you have any questions, or you would like me to tell you which players are still standing, please let me know.

Good luck to everyone! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Example Read post can be as simple as this (taken from the MU game). 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My current reads (top to bottom - town to scum, but also in general categories)town ++Salty for exuding towniness by asking all the right questions and genuinely trying to search out mafiatown +Lychee fruit for voting patternnull (Not info)will.i.am (no posts to go off)

mafia +
TheDude for how he responded to questions about mafiamafia ++
Tim for canceling the April exam and general mafiness of post XXX

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These can be as detailed as you want them to be but be prepared to answer questions others may have on your read.

It would make my life a lot easier if you guys tag me in one read post per day.

• Since we are playing with less players than required for tournament rules, the mafia will still kill tonight but it will be an untimely death of @SaltySteve. Thank you for your sacrifice.
Sorry for the confusion, the 1st mafia kill was last night so we could jump right into playing today. There will be a town lynching, mafia kill, and JOAT actions tonight.

Since this is another tournament round with tournament rules, there will be NO PMING outside of people who have roles, who will be communicating in moderator PM threads, and you MUST post at least one READ post of another player and/or players per day (before 9PM EST) to proceed to the next voting day.  It is in the interest of both mafia members and townies to not prematurely lose members by not posting.
I'm a bit confused by the green part. Does this mean that everyone has to post at least once a day?

edit: nevermind, I should have read the posts following the game announcement. I'll probably use a similar format

I'm a bit confused by the green part. Does this mean that everyone has to post at least once a day?
Everyone needs to post at least one post a day giving how they read other players action. I did away with the 5 post minimum cause it was just spam. You can continue to spam but I'm asking for the "Read" post so there's enough on-topic convo that it's not just a random vote off.

Everyone needs to post at least one post a day giving how they read other players action. I did away with the 5 post minimum cause it was just spam. You can continue to spam but I'm asking for the "Read" post so there's enough on-topic convo that it's not just a random vote off.
Yeah, I don't know if I'll be able to do this since I'm in training/will only be able to come on sporadically.  I was planning on only checking in once in a while over the next two weeks in-between classes and just voting with everyone else.

Yeah, I don't know if I'll be able to do this since I'm in training/will only be able to come on sporadically.  I was planning on only checking in once in a while over the next two weeks.
That's fine. I'm just testing out the idea of asking for it, if y'all just want to scrap the idea we can. Try to find one thing you think is suspicious or seems to be genuinely townie a day and call it out. I don't need a read on every single player.

Back