EB Mafia

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you trust to estimate calories?
Pretty much nothing. Every person is so different with how their body metabolizes food, and stores and burns calories. There's pretty much no accurate general way to do it.

The correct way to do it is to track your individual calorie intake, your exercise, and your weight and measurements over an extended period of time... without making any changes. You can use this information to baseline how many calories your body uses in daily life, and in exercise. Hopefully your weight is stable during this baseline (if not that adds another variable). Then you start making changes and observe how your body responds.

The answer is going to be different for each person. You and I could do the exact same activity and burn calories very differently. Shit, you and I are burning different amounts of calories sitting at our computers right now. 

Not a puppy dog and not mine.

What's the use of trying anymore anyway?
*DISTRUST INTENSIFIES*

I AT LEAST KNOW MOO-MOO COW DOG IS @LyceeFruit PE's REAL PUPPER

Also, I don't use my fitbit to track my calories.  I've figured out that they never record calories correct for my body (I seem to lose weight when doing cardio/normal calorie deficit, but my body very easily converts calories into muscles when I start doing strength training).  I was mostly just happy it finally recorded my workout.

Except I now have kennel cough.

*DISTRUST INTENSIFIES*

I AT LEAST KNOW MOO-MOO COW DOG IS @LyceeFruit PE's REAL PUPPER

Also, I don't use my fitbit to track my calories.  I've figured out that they never record calories correct for my body (I seem to lose weight when doing cardio/normal calorie deficit, but my body very easily converts calories into muscles when I start doing strength training).  I was mostly just happy it finally recorded my workout.

Except I now have kennel cough.
@txjennah PE my avatar is Smokey, the Vols mascot.  He's a blue tick hound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back