Dumping Direct and Cable TV

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do  have a similar one, it works well, but I can only get channels if I hang it around 6 ft up on the wall in the living room - apparently that doesn't look nice or "whatever"

I feel like Xfinity saw me look at this thread, and that's why my bill went up $8 and change from last month to this month with no warning. They're gonna get a call later tonight!

weird, this week I have received no less than 10 calls from a 1-800 # that doesn't leave a message but searching it the internet tells me its Comcast calling to offer some wheels and deals..

So I blocked the #...

Unless has anyone got anything good from them?

My bill went from $180 to $104 a month $80/ Month pays for lots of ski stuff...

Well, the partner haggled with Comcast to get our internet, extremely basic cable, and HBO access down $15 from where it was going to be with the recent raising they tried to do. That company is such a scam!

Unfortunately, based on my limited research, we don't pay enough for cord-cutting to make sense. It wouldn't save us money. But oh, how appealing it is!

so here is the one I think I am going to get (if anyone has used this one?)

I think I can mount this on the side of the house and it wont really get noticed since it doesn't "look" like an antenna, it will be on the side of the house close the back yard (which is closest to where the TV Stations are)

http://www.antennadeals.com/HD8008.html

hd8008_strong_signal-v1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks fairly robust and reasonably priced. Amplified and omni-directional. The only spec I didn't see was a temperature rating. Warmth likely won't be an issue, but cold could.

Also, for installation, this is a great resource to determine optimal antenna placement: http://www.antennaweb.org/

Well, the partner haggled with Comcast to get our internet, extremely basic cable, and HBO access down $15 from where it was going to be with the recent raising they tried to do. That company is such a scam!

Unfortunately, based on my limited research, we don't pay enough for cord-cutting to make sense. It wouldn't save us money. But oh, how appealing it is!
I have to wonder how that can be true.

I have to wonder how that can be true.
Well, we are currently set up to pay about $70/month for internet, very basic cable, HBO access on our TV and HBO go.

From what I see, signing up for internet would be in the $50/month range, or maybe $40/month if we switched to Sonic or something like that. Then, if we were to set up Sling TV or something, it would be at least $20/month, and more realistically more than that. That's because if we were to go a la carte TV, we'd probably want access to HBO as well as the sports channels we don't get right now (which are all of the channels that show the local market games when they're not on ESPN or basic cable), and maybe the food channel. That seems that it would put Sling up to at least $35/month.

In a way, I feel the basic cable is kind of good for our household. I know that it at least greatly decreases the amount of TV I watch. In fact, I just joined a book club, because I'm looking to make reading a priority in my life again (it hasn't been for several years). I need to look at my schedule to see where I can fit that time in. I really don't know what I'm doing outside of work most days! Good grief! That's what I feel like, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah we are living without sling, only pay item we are using right now is HBO Now, we even suspended Netflix until we can get through Game of Thrones..Im trying to get the $85 a month savings..

With 3 HS kids we pay around $100 a month for internet that doesn't shut down when they (we) are all on it at the same time. With Cable it was around $185 a month ( but probably $30 of that was just in fees related to having cable!)  If I didn't have the 3 HS Kids I could get a lesser internet for around $65 a month

Most of the channels these antenna's get are crap, I just want to have a few football options. It may be painful during college football season, but for me in Denver all they really show are the terrible mid -west teams like Utah Verses Boise.

I figure if there is a game I really want to see I will just go to the bar and watch it..

Back