Don't you love this from recruiters (for structural)?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RM-270

Reaction score
I thought I'd share this as a humorous aside (and a source of frustration in some instances): I'm a structural engineer that has been looking for work as of late. Now, looking at my resume you'd think it was fairly obvious that I know my way about seismic loading (considering I've done nothing but building design most of my career). Well, not to some recruiters. I get calls all the time: "Do you have any experience with seismic loads?" Gezzzz. Do these people just not have any background in what they recruit for? (HR people are not a whole lot better.) What kind of structural engineer (unless he works primarily in Florida) DOESN'T have seismic loading experience? Of course, we all have varying degrees of proficiency with certain loadings.....but the dopey questions you get from these people is pretty funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of structural engineer (unless he works primarily in Florida) DOESN'T have seismic loading experience?
I don't know about that - I know at least one Florida engineer who would claim that his mastery of stormwater modeling is far more advanced than any wimpy seismic loading problem you could conceive. After all, you guys just have a bunch of codes that give you the answers whereas in stormwater modeling, there are often many right answers ... but also many wrong ones too. Stormwater modeling has been referred to as the hardest thing in engineering and, well, seismic loading is not stormwater modeling.

Stormwater modeling +1

(Please note the sarcasm font I used in replying to your post in the spirit of the laughable experience) :D

JR

I honestly believe most of them have no clue as to what any type of engineer does. Sometimes I wonder what the point of building a resume is if its going to be read by one of those baffoons. The thing that kills me is that they can learn if they just asked questions but they choose not to.

Back