DONE with United Airlines

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw a headline that read:

"United confirms beatings will continue until volunteering improves."

53d80688-1f38-11e7-ba38-4217a96bb749_1280x720_125433.jpg

Thing is, in my head, in a situation where they were saying they were going to physically remove me from a venue of any kind, regardless of what I think my rights are, I'm not going to embarrass myself or let the situation escalate to that point.  If my rights were being violated as a human or as a customer, I think that a calmer situation would get me further in resolving it to my advantage.  

Thing is, in my head, in a situation where they were saying they were going to physically remove me from a venue of any kind, regardless of what I think my rights are, I'm not going to embarrass myself or let the situation escalate to that point.  If my rights were being violated as a human or as a customer, I think that a calmer situation would get me further in resolving it to my advantage.  

This isn't necessarily true when dealing with an airline.  Airlines have so much power over their customers that the instant he got off that plane he would have no recourse than to accept whatever the gate agent made up on the spot.

Looks like this incident is already having positive effects.

From http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/04/14/delta-denied-boarding-compensation/

• Delta wants to make sure passengers aren’t involuntarily denied boarding from flights, so has given their frontline employees more discretion as to how much compensation they can offer for voluntary denied boardings, based on the situation. Per an internal source, here’s what’s changing:
  • Previously gate agents were limited to offering $800 worth of vouchers in compensation, while supervisors were limited to offering $2,000 worth of vouchers in compensation
  • Delta has now increased compensation limits for voluntary denied boardings — gate agents can now offer up to $2,000 worth of vouchers, while supervisors can offer up to $9,950 worth of vouchers
If everyone on the plane had been offered $9950 instead of $800, I bet there would have been plenty of takers and United would have avoided all the controversy.  Most of us wouldn't have the balls to stand up to the airline the way Dr. Dao did, and I hope his actions continue to spur improvements in airline overbooking procedures and customer service.

Yeah he is Hero the same way Jane Fonda was!

The Bitch wasn't trying to do anything but act like he was too good to follow someone else's rules. I hope the courts smack him around some more. I especially hope they investigate his accusation that he got a concussion and Broke nose! Freaking crook! I am sure one of his "doctor" kids made that diagnosis...

Protesting the military and protesting the airlines are two very different things.  Airline customer service has gotten to the point where they airlines don't even feel like they have to treat their customers as human beings, because the passengers don't have any choice in the matter.  They prefer to think of their customers as self-loading cargo.

I'm not saying what Dr. Dao did was right, but I think it was inevitable with the way airlines treat people, and I hope it does result in more positive change in the industry.

I am not defending the airlines I just think in this instance they have the wrong spokesperson (the guy who should be a registered sex offender) - I think he should have to go on an episode of "oh my balls" or something...

"I hope it does result in more positive change in the industry. "

the only change will be that more people will feel "entitled" and "stand up for their rights" when they're not really "entitled" anything and whether or not they have any "rights" in the situation.

Also this further propagates the American "sue 'em" mentality and the juries awarding outrageous sums to "teach the big companies a lesson" when it isn't deserved, warranted, and just doesn't make any sense.

One thing I think is fucked up is they will board you and then tell you that you are on a 2 hour delay and won't let you off the plane....

I believe it has to do with gate scheduling.  They can hold you on the plane but the plane can't stay at the gate.

We flew United to Denver last week and back.  This incident happened between flights.  We all noticed how friendlier the attendants were on the ride home than the first time.  Coincidence?  We really had no issues either way other than the TSA stopping my EIGHT year old to smell his shoes for bombs.  We packed everything for 5 skiers and a week away from home in 8 carry-ons.    

Back