DONE with United Airlines

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm against using a police force to resolve a poor business decision. If it's not a CRIME, it's not the police's job. The man bought his seat and was sitting in it. There was no crime committed by him being on the plane. He was not threatening anyone or the aircraft.
Are you truly that ignorant?  This bozo owns exactly two things on that plane...jack and $hit.  It's not "his" seat.  When he buys the airplane he can do whatever he wants with it, but until then, it's United's plane and you have to abide by their rules.  He didn't get drug off the plane because they needed to free up four seats, he got drug off because he refused to leave.  And while his criminal past certainly didn't have anything to do with what happened, kind of gives you an idea of what type of person he is.

I just really can't wait until the lawyers get finished with this one. It's not going to go in United's favor. They will probably settle out of court and agree to admit no wrongdoing and the terms will never be discusses, but you can bet this is going to cost them and the airport police a lot of time and money. The PR damage is already done. I really hope none of you all that side with United on this one ever find yourself in the same situation the doctor was in on Sunday (regardless of whatever your background is). If you all can't see even remotely what was wrong about how the doc was treated in this particular situation, I feel sorry for you. Yeah, a lot of times engineers are supposed to removed and void of emotion and stick to fact-based thinking and analysis. And I'm not discounting that. 99 times out of 100, I usually give the offending party in question the benefit of the doubt. But in this one particular case (just this one case, not referencing any other headline-making case where justice has come into question), this was a clear and egregious violation of the doc's rights and dignity. For that reason, I think United and the responsible law enforcement party should be required to pay damages, and myself personally, I will refrain from using United Airlines for future flights.

As for the lessons learned here, there are massive procedure changes that need to be made, more than likely across all airlines. And there needs to be more laws put in place that better outline the rights of passengers and the rights of airlines....something besides a line of small print in size 3.5 font on page 238 of 1000 of the "carriage agreement." Hell, Congress didn't even read the Affordable Care Act before they even signed it. Why is it reasonable to think the average passenger has the time and resources to sit down and read 1000 pages of some crap a sleezeball corporate lawyer for the airlines came up with? The obvious procedure change that needs to be mandated across all airlines: if you're overbooked, you don't board the plane with a single passenger, period. Me personally, I'd like to go further and have overbooking banned by law. The airlines have abused that system long enough and have proven many times over that they are not competent enough to do it and regulate it on their own. All of this would have been prevented if they maintained a 1 passenger = 1 seat ratio...AND DON'T GO OVER IT.

I'm done with this one. If any of you all are flying United soon, pepper your angus. That's all I can say.

Dao hasn't been charged with a crime.  If what he did was so reprehensible that it justifies assaulting him, don't you think he'd be charged with a crime?  Rape, murder?  Trespass, resisting a police officer?

But he wasn't.  Because his actions were not that unreasonable.  If someone tries to take away something you paid for, do you all just give it up no questions asked?

His actions of not complying with the directive of getting off the plane is certainly unreasonable. 

All of the proponents of Dr Dao have not addressed the question of just how do you forcibly remove someone from a "peaceful protest" without potentially causing them to have a boo-boo?

That's the thing - you don't forcibly remove them. You incentivize them to want to leave. Everyone has a price, they should have just found his.

maybe they should have offered him a private room with a little boy?
51f.jpg

His actions of not complying with the directive of getting off the plane is certainly unreasonable. 

All of the proponents of Dr Dao have not addressed the question of just how do you forcibly remove someone from a "peaceful protest" without potentially causing them to have a boo-boo?
Yes, I have. You don't create a situation for a protest to begin with. If a plane is overbooked, not one single passenger should be let on until the overbooking situation is resolve....AT THE GATE.

Me personally, I'd like to go further and have overbooking banned by law. The airlines have abused that system long enough and have proven many times over that they are not competent enough to do it and regulate it on their own.
If a plane is overbooked, not one single passenger should be let on until the overbooking situation is resolve....AT THE GATE.
This didn’t happen because United sold too many tickets.[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] [/COLOR]United Express (Republic Airlines) had to send four crew members to work a flight the next morning. The weekend was operationally challenging, this was a replacement crew, if the employees didn’t get to Louisville a whole plane load of passengers were going to be ‘bumped’ when that flight was cancelled, and likely other passengers on other flights using that aircraft would have their own important travel plans screwed up as well.

I was once on a flight in the very back row where the gentlemen next to me was clutching his briefcase to his chest prior to takeoff. The flight attendant told him he needed to stow it. He argued but said okay and she walked away and he put it behind his legs. She came back and told him it needed to be in the overhead or under the seat. He argued again and she got on the phone to the cockpit that she had a passenger who wasn't complying with instructions from the flight crew. He overheard her, as did most of us, and said, "FINE! FINE!" and shoved it under the seat. 

He had the right to a carryon, but not to keep it anywhere, because it's a safety issue. He would have been removed from the flight. 

I don't think this is a "protest" situation. He just didn't want to get off the flight. No one else did either, so he was forced from the flight. 

Damn, remind me not to go to a car dealership with any of you guys to negotiate a new car.  It's their dealership, after all, so F you if you have the nerve to refuse to accept the Family Truckster when you ordered something different.  

Liberal or conservative, I think we all agree that the free market is a huge part of what has made America successful.  If a company roughs up an uncooperative customer, they are going to pay a price in the market.  Apparently there are some people (ahem) who will still patronize the business even after seeing them treat a paying customer like a criminal.  As said by many above, the man has not been charged with a crime, and the United CEO has finally woken up to the realities of capitalism this morning and is falling all over himself to apologize and insist that United will never again use the police to remove a bumped passenger.  

It's currently being meme'd so hard people are soon going to be more upset at the memes than United.  In a week no one will even remember it.

Back