Do I need a myspace page??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freon:

with the exception of a "homw wireless network" (which is comprised solely of a wireless router so my son can connect upstairs) I could have written your post.

Perhaps I could mail you a letter and we could start club. [insert U.S. mailbox smiliey here]

Glad to see that I'm not alone.

P.S. nice to see you posting again. How's things "out of exile"

It's nice to be back; now we just need to get Sapper and Don back home. Since I left the Marines back in May, I've been busy with my "private sector" job and moving. I am still about three solid weekends away from being unpacked.

I had to create an account so I could search for some high school friends. But Ill never put up a myspace/facebook page. Just going to those pages makes me think of "To Catch a Predator" and I get all creeped out.

Freon

Just like MA_PE, my list is the same as yours. As I think about it when I started my engineering career in 1983 we didn't have cell phones, fax machines or desk top computers. So I guess I've come a long way, except my kids laugh when I ask them a computer questions, especially my son who is only 12.

Old as Dirt Geo

It creeps me out too to put so much personal information online, but I think that's how things are going. I kinda feel like I'm missing the party -- people are having fun, networking and keeping in touch on these pages. And it is a lot more social than email - you can meet new people from all over and include many people in the conversation.

MySpace Outage Affects Millions

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it a touch ironic. Here we are a bunch of technical professionals, and it appears that many of us are not using the latest "techo-toy". Just to show how much I am an engineer with an Amish-like attitude I do not have any of the following:
A myspace page

A face book page

A home wireless network

A "home" website (My internet provider allows me 5 Mb on thier web server)

An iPod (MP3 Player)

A "blue tooth" headset (I plug my cell phone headset in)

Surrond-sound on my TV (I do have the hi-def set)

A TiVo unit

A DVR unit (same as a TiVo?)

Freon, A hopelessluy behind the times P.E.
I'm more Amish than you. No cell, dial-up modem, and the biggest TV is a 25 incher from 1992.

I had a MySpace page a long time ago to track down friends from high school and college. In the end, it seemed like I had become and magnet for ... ummm ... let's just leave it at I dropped the page because I didn't find that the site really benefited my interests.

I definitely agree with jfusillo - pages like LinkedIn are very useful and offer excellent marketing tools as well as keeping colleagues updated with your CV and activities. I have received numerous phonecalls (or e-mails) from folks that I am no longer actively working with or collaborating with on projects but they would recall that I was knowledgable about something of interest on one of thier current projects or to just catch up.

Speaking of LinkedIn, I need to update mine. :eek:hmy:

JR

I had a MySpace page a long time ago to track down friends from high school and college. In the end, it seemed like I had become and magnet for ... ummm ... let's just leave it at I dropped the page because I didn't find that the site really benefited my interests.
:eek:rlyflag: Are we going have to call you "Studly Hungwell"??? :appl: :th_rockon:

Isn't it a touch ironic. Here we are a bunch of technical professionals, and it appears that many of us are not using the latest "techo-toy". Just to show how much I am an engineer with an Amish-like attitude I do not have any of the following:
A myspace page

A face book page

A home wireless network

An iPod (MP3 Player)

A TiVo unit

Freon... I am right there with you. I do have a linkedin page, but that is about it.

-Ray

:eek:rlyflag: Are we going have to call you "Studly Hungwell"??? :appl: :th_rockon:
It's not like I called myself HisBigPEness or anything like that .... :rolleyes:

In all honesty, I was just looking for a way to stay in touch with friends and other professionals. That is most easily achieved through websites like LinkedIn where you don't have to navigate through the potentially undesireable parts :blush:

JR

A myspace page (YES, but its not really "active")

A face book page NO

A home wireless network YES

A "home" website (My internet provider allows me 5 Mb on thier web server) NO just eb.com

An iPod (MP3 Player) NO

A "blue tooth" headset (I plug my cell phone headset in) HELL NO

Surrond-sound on my TV (I do have the hi-def set) NO

A TiVo unit NO

A DVR unit (same as a TiVo?) NO

^^ dittos. and I have no use for headsets. but it is legal to use a cellphone in the car here, I might have to adapt if this state goes any more blue.

I have a wireless home network, but none of the others. Not even Hi-def TV

I do have websites, but they are not really personal. They are for the bodybuilding promotion.

A myspace page

A face book page

A home wireless network

An iPod (MP3 Player)

A TiVo unit

I don't have any of these...unless you count my sansa mp3 player equivalent to the Ipod. We are still on dial-up and do not have cable, dish, or whatever the latest trend is. What we can get with the bunny ears is all we get and both of our tvs are at least 10 yrs old.

We are looking for a new house...hubby got a new job that is requiring us to move. Once we move they are going to pay for the hi-speed speed internet, so that will be nice.

I feel like an old fart. I don't have any pages for My Space, Face Book, and similar sites. My daughters think it is hiarious that I chat on this board. Of course, they just think it's a geek site. We have wireless in the house. I have a nice little digital camera. My favorite tech toy is my cell phone. It also serves as a camera, watch, alarm clock, calculator, and probably a lot more stuff that I don't use. I even do some texting with my daughters on the cell phone.

I feel like an old fart. I don't have any pages for My Space, Face Book, and similar sites. My daughters think it is hiarious that I chat on this board. Of course, they just think it's a geek site. We have wireless in the house. I have a nice little digital camera. My favorite tech toy is my cell phone. It also serves as a camera, watch, alarm clock, calculator, and probably a lot more stuff that I don't use. I even do some texting with my daughters on the cell phone.
they "THINK" its a geek site....

I think they might be right!

and before you disagree, look at the Lord Of The Rings Vs. Star Wars thread.... actually, you don't need to look at it, just know that its there!

and before you disagree, look at the Lord Of The Rings Vs. Star Wars thread.... actually, you don't need to look at it, just know that its there!
What's wrong with LOTR??!! I was just telling my wife that I wanted to replace the angel that goes on top of the Christmas Tree with the Eye of Sauron. IMHO, it would make a much more dramatic topper for the tree. :D

My wife just gave me the 'ol ..... :blink:

^^OK, I'm a very geeky old fart.
No way!! You are way cool and hip if you are a regular poster at EB.com. So says me :woot:

JR

Back