CWA, NPDES

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey

Reaction score
Ok, I have never looked at these two items before since I live in Canada...

I imagine there might be one or two questions on the WR afternoon depth exam. Would it be worthwhile skimming through these documents or just having them on hand with me at the exam would be good enough?

Is there a real NPDES document? I went to the main website and there seems to be a lot of information there and I have no idea where to start, hence this question...

Thanks,

Casey

I found a couple of documents on the EPA page that dummied it down pretty well. I'll see if I can find them and post them.

My problem is my experience with NPDES is stormwater and the test seems to be just on wastewater discharge. The CWA is pretty big- I doubt you'd need the whole thing, I think I just printed some sections.

Yeah, I think it would be best to find some brief, exceptionally brief run-down of the CWA. All you need to know about NPDES is that that is what the permitting system for wastewater and stormwater discharges is called. NPDES permits are administered by USEPA.

The other "big" CWA permit system is the "Section 404" permits program, which is run by the Corps of Engineers (with oversight and "veto power" of sorts, by USEPA). 404 permits are for the discharge of fill and dredged material into waters of the US. This includes wetlands.

For both NPDES and 404 permits, the States have the final word in the form of the CWA Section 401 water quality certification. The state can stop a federal CWA permit by deying 401 certificaiton, or it can approve the permit with conditions, that the feds must then enforce.

But again, try to find some brief description of the CWA somewhere to go into a little more detail. If you were taking the enviro exam, I would be a little more concerned with detail and things like sampling and standard permit requirements, but I'm not so sure you will get into that level of detail on the 80-question civil.

I just saw this topic as I was looking through old stuff- I don't recall seeing anything that specifically mentioned NPDES. There was a lot of x concentration at x flow is discharged into y concentration at y flow, whats the final concentration which is the idea behind npdes- maybe the next round of takers can elaborate but i think this is what youre going to get- no epa or other government forms needed.

I'm a little concerned about this too. The six minute solution had a question about CWA stuff but was too specific and not covered in any of my textbooks.

Environmental Law Handbook. Try to borrow a copy from the library or other source. I found this very useful on the Enviro PE Exam, but I bet it will help in the civil as well.

Back