Crash Modification Factors (CMF)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulls2030

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am studying for the PE in April 2016. On the exam outline provided by NCEES, it mentions "Crash Modification Factors" Highway Safety Manual. 

Since it is not used so much on the exam, would anyone have the pages that I would need from this reference? Or can guide me where I could get them from?

Would appreciate the help. 

Hey Guys,

I am studying for the PE in April 2016. On the exam outline provided by NCEES, it mentions "Crash Modification Factors" Highway Safety Manual. 

Since it is not used so much on the exam, would anyone have the pages that I would need from this reference? Or can guide me where I could get them from?

Would appreciate the help. 
The first advice is to obtain the recommended NCEES reference (the AASHTO 2010 Highway Safety Manual (HSM), First Edition). 

Short of that, the next best thing is to obtain the free 2009 draft HSM.  You can find a link and discussion about it very easily by looking in (recent) past threads in this sub-forum.

You'll find the primary information about Crash Modification Factors (CMFs) in chapter 3 (Vol 1, Part A) (and also Chapts 13 - 17, Vol 2, Part D) of both the 2009 draft and the 2010 first edition (they are called 'Accident Modification Factors' in the draft).  FYI

Lastly, CMFs are not exclusive to AASHTO's HSM.  You can check out the Crash Modification Factors Clearinghouse or the FHWA Office of Safety to read more about CMFs. 

Back