COVID-19

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol.  Slight exaggeration...but if I have to take it next year I'll be studying with our first baby in the house.  Given the choice of peaceful studying and hazmat suit or studying with a baby and zero sleep...its close.  Either way, best case is they give everyone at the exam center their own table and jug of hand sanitizer and require masks and let us take it this october.
I agree. full tables, space the rows further apart, maybe the tables have a couple feet on each side too, gives us more space to put all our references too! 

also probably smaller rooms of people. 

Maybe I shouldn't even bother applying for next spring then? Haha... I actually just don't want to think about putting the silly SE exam application together (for California's BPELSG).

Lol.  Slight exaggeration...but if I have to take it next year I'll be studying with our first baby in the house.  Given the choice of peaceful studying and hazmat suit or studying with a baby and zero sleep...its close.  Either way, best case is they give everyone at the exam center their own table and jug of hand sanitizer and require masks and let us take it this october.

I agree. full tables, space the rows further apart, maybe the tables have a couple feet on each side too, gives us more space to put all our references too! 

also probably smaller rooms of people. 
I agree, I could see this working fairly easily for the SE exam takers, specifically on Saturday. Not so much the PE exam takers which makes me think the exam will get cancelled as well. I keep studying though, but with the mindset it's for the betterment of myself as an engineer so I don't get disappointed with a cancellation lol. Thankfully my studying is review of material I was studying hard in the spring. So I'm not trying to muster motivation to slog through new concepts.  

I agree, I could see this working fairly easily for the SE exam takers, specifically on Saturday. Not so much the PE exam takers which makes me think the exam will get cancelled as well. I keep studying though, but with the mindset it's for the betterment of myself as an engineer so I don't get disappointed with a cancellation lol. Thankfully my studying is review of material I was studying hard in the spring. So I'm not trying to muster motivation to slog through new concepts.  
Yeah, I dont know if its this way in all states, but in SC the SE takers already got their own table and they were already a few feet apart.  Cap the # of test takers (this possibility is why I signed up the first day)...find a 2nd testing center for the overflow...kick the CBT transition effort into high gear (least likely)...if they really want to I think they can figure something out.  They've had 4 months to think about it and have 3 more until go time.  I choose to remain optimistic.  An entire year of not allowing any newly licensed engineers just sounds crazy

Last edited by a moderator:
So in Michigan we had our own 8 footer, see picture... and we only had 4 or 5 people sitting for it on both days.  So I can't see how much more distanced we can be lol ... the issue was the THRONG of PE people we had to slither thru to get to our room so at least at my test site, I can see these logistics being complicated with any social dist requirements. 

Not trying to be negative, but I see all the folks not wearing masks and congregating (Google Torch Lake Michigan 4th of July, for example) ... and then look at the numbers and it's not hard to see where this is going.  

20191026_125419.jpg

Not trying to be negative, but I see all the folks not wearing masks and congregating (Google Torch Lake Michigan 4th of July, for example) ... and then look at the numbers and it's not hard to see where this is going. 
Walking in NYC, I see just about every other person walking down the street not wearing a mask. I can't imagine how it is in other states and cities with lesser restrictions.

Walking in NYC, I see just about every other person walking down the street not wearing a mask. I can't imagine how it is in other states and cities with lesser restrictions.
So I travel quite a bit for work, and at least what I've seen from the mid west (Detroit, Ohio, Tennessee,  and Kentucky) ... I'm seeing 50 percent (at best) in terms of masking wearing.  That's why I'm a bit bearish on the whole notion of this test actually happening.  I'll certainly prepare as if it were happening but unless something big changes to keep the numbers from going up.  So we'll see.  

So I travel quite a bit for work, and at least what I've seen from the mid west (Detroit, Ohio, Tennessee,  and Kentucky) ... I'm seeing 50 percent (at best) in terms of masking wearing.  That's why I'm a bit bearish on the whole notion of this test actually happening.  I'll certainly prepare as if it were happening but unless something big changes to keep the numbers from going up.  So we'll see.  
50% sounds high when you're talking about those states.

btw, do you know what is the current MI's restrictions on in-door gatherings?

I think this has been adjusted now due to COVID, right?  If I remember correctly, the exam schedule is now on Thursday and Friday and they've split the PE takers between these days too.  So the good thing is the total amount of people on any given day is less, but the second day won't be as empty as it would have been also. 

I think this has been adjusted now due to COVID, right?  If I remember correctly, the exam schedule is now on Thursday and Friday and they've split the PE takers between these days too.  So the good thing is the total amount of people on any given day is less, but the second day won't be as empty as it would have been also. 
Dang I didn't know this! Good to know

So splitting the days is a good first step, but the test in my mind will be if masks are allowed.  Otherwise I'm not sold on how effective it'll be.  You'll still have people sharing a room for 8 hours breathing the same air, coughing, sharing the door knobs and bathrooms ... and good luck finding proctors.  We'll see.  

but why is the finish flag shown? cause like it's not really visible yet?

Email from NCEES today...this is good news, it seems they're determined to have the exams in October.  There's a chance they can cancel some peoples exams if the center is too crowded and they need to reduce their numbers...that would suck. Hopefully they let people who were signed up for an exam that got cancelled in April get priority and not get 2 exams cancelled in a row.

image.png

Anyone have any recommendations on types of masks/face coverings?...I have the issue that they are always fogging my glasses. Plus comfortable wear for 8hrs+?...

Anyone have any recommendations on types of masks/face coverings?...I have the issue that they are always fogging my glasses. Plus comfortable wear for 8hrs+?...
i've actually found that the kid size ones from target fit my face the best, i just have to extend the elastic so it doesn't pullmy ears forward. 

Latest posts

Back