Could what's happening in Egypt happen here?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Thats why I said we'll do it with a lot of slashing. Regardless, there are going to have to be cuts."Of course the cuts will be in Social Security, not in military expenses. No one is concerned about a bunch of over-65s taking to the streets to protest the loss of their SS payments. The billionaires in the arms industries will continue getting richer while the older folks who made it possible for them to be there will get bread and water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course the cuts will be in Social Security, not in military expenses. No one is concerned about a bunch of over-65s taking to the streets
You have got to be kidding. Of course nobody is concerned about them taking to the streets - but American politicians are extremely concerned about this demographic because they actually turn out to vote. They don't call SS the "third rail" of politics for nothing. They would have made bigcuts to SS already if not for this reason.

I saw Mitch McConnell on a Sunday Morning show last wek and they couldn't get him to mention a single specific about cutting this - he just kept repeating that it was insolvent and the Pres had to show "leadership". When the interviewer asked for any specifics he kept parroting this same mantra.

That's why any proposed cuts will be "down the road" - affecting only younger voters who don't bothewr to vote and don't expect to get anything anyway. And even there , I doubt there will any more than the pushing back of the retirement age a bit.

Maybe Chucktown got so worried about the demise of the US he went off the grid and is living in a bunker somewhere and that's why we never hear from him anymore.
I sort of doubt it though.
yeah,

where the frick has he been?

and YES, it can happen here, we probably aren't as far from it as some think. Just 150 years ago, we were shooting each other in this country. Don't be foolish enough to think we've "evolved" that much in the last 150 years.

SapperPE said:
I tend to go back and forth on this. It is easy for us to become complacent in our lifestyles, thinking that we have a peaceful country. The truth is that the propensity to do terrible things lies just beneath the surface. There are sporadic outbursts of irrational violence in this country every day. They are typically contained, but they happen all the time. Take street gangs for example. There are some places in almost every city in America that could theoretically be considered a combat zone, with gunfights in the streets. Granted, the bulk of that activity is confined to certain geographic areas, but we aren't exempt.
If the right mixture of discontentment is fueled by the right mixture of oppression or economic instability, we could have some very bad business in this country. The key difference is that we have such a large geographical area for our country, that it would be unlikely to see the type of activity across the entire country, but if such activity erupted in DC, New York, and some other places, it could be a similar scale as what is going on elsewhere in the world.

Our hope is that there are more rational people than irrational, and more people willing to work things out peacefully.
We have had several guys from other countries lecture some of my MBA Entrepreneurship classes, and I interviewed Johnny Halberstadt (CEO of Boulder Running Company) for OSU's MBA program 50th Anniversary book of distinguished alumni. All have said that the thing that sets us apart is freedom to go for your dream and create your own company, free to speak as you wish, and the IRS is there to keep everyone in line. Other countries oppress people from starting their own thing, or speaking against government actions.

BTW, Johnny still has death threats in SA for speaking up against the apartheid. http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/other/art...hnny-looks-back

I bet if the Romans had a fleet of C5's, satellite communications, and AR15's, they probably would not have fallen. ;) I have a feeling they just stretched themselves too thin. An interesting read is the autobiography of Julius Cesar. It opened my non-military eyes to the logistical problem of moving a military during the days of horses. Imagine the supply lines. Imagine soldiers showing up and stripping the land and livestock bare. Eventually it has to give out, because you just can't move enough goods by horse.
I will agree, we're in a pickle though. Too many people want a handout, too many people just want easy street. Don't want to work. Many Americans lack the motivation to actually accomplish something in their lives.

Social Security will be gone by the time I think about retiring, I have no doubt. And I wouldn't be surprised when they want to absorb 401k accounts in to Social Security. That'll be a domino that really pushes a lot of buttons. At that moment, I'll withdraw my 401k and spend it on ammunition and canned goods.
That's one thing that will definately get the masses rioting. At least I will join in if my 401k got absorbed.

Social Security will be gone by the time I think about retiring, I have no doubt. And I wouldn't be surprised when they want to absorb 401k accounts in to Social Security. That'll be a domino that really pushes a lot of buttons. At that moment, I'll withdraw my 401k and spend it on ammunition and canned goods.
I would gladly forfeit all the money I've "donated" to SS if I could opt out. It's a shame that I put almost as much into SS every month as I put into my ROTH IRA.

with the start of our new state legislative sesison there is talk of expanding the pension reform to include existing employees, not just new employee as was already passed. Even though it is against the IL constitution to do such a thing.

I'd be more than happy taking the $ i've put into the pension system out lump sum and invest it how i wish with a 401(k) type of thing...then at least I am in control somewhat

I would gladly forfeit all the money I've "donated" to SS if I could opt out.
I would, too.

If they do try to absorb IRAs, 401(k)s, and 457s into SS, as I keep hearing more and more mention of, I'm going to trip offline. I think a LOT of people would. Matter of fact, if they do that, I believe you'd see the second American Revolution happen real quick.

with the start of our new state legislative sesison there is talk of expanding the pension reform to include existing employees, not just new employee as was already passed. Even though it is against the IL constitution to do such a thing.
I'd be more than happy taking the $ i've put into the pension system out lump sum and invest it how i wish with a 401(k) type of thing...then at least I am in control somewhat
It makes me a little mental when I think about having 4.2-6.2% of my pay stolen from me and then lied to about the reason for the theft.

Just not right.

At some point, people will begin to hit a breaking point and either quit or fight back. The less rational individuals that fight back will most likely resort to violence. Like the guy who flew his plane into the IRS building.

Hope that it doesn't come to that on a large scale.

SapperPE said:
I have to say that if 401(k)s got absorbed into the Social Security, I'd be ready for war myself, but I mean seriously, is there any chance of that happening? I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm seriously asking, is that even possible?
I don't know if a full seizure would be involved, but there's been talk of changing the way 401k works, to making it a mandatory after-tax contribution, with the pool run by the government...

http://boortz.com/nealz_nuze/2008/11/your-...l-security.html

This is just a quick example I found from a Google, there are other places out there that discuss it as well.

SapperPE said:
I have to say that if 401(k)s got absorbed into the Social Security, I'd be ready for war myself, but I mean seriously, is there any chance of that happening? I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm seriously asking, is that even possible?
I didn't think it was, but I keep hearing politicians talk about it. And if they are talking about it, they dang sure are thinking about doing it.

And I'm not kidding about that triggering the second American Revolution. I think folks would riot over that. I mean, I've accepted my whole life that SS won't be there for me and 6.5% of my salary is going away to the gov, and that's frustrating enough, but if they touch money I've socked away for my retirement and confiscate it to bolster SS, I will not be a happy camper.

The idea of "absorbing" 401k and IRA money into the government coffers has been floated a couple of times in congress but nothing has come from it yet. The supporters of this idea would like to use a market correction as a basis for taking control of your investments and putting them in the expert and safe hands of the all knowing federal bureaucracy. If it comes to pass, the stock market is going to crash in a major way. I can't be the only one that would be pulling everything out and paying the penalty rather than handing it over to the fed for the promise that they'll take care of me later.

"Yeah, we could not make Social Security work with the money we had before. Nobody is quite sure what happened there. Wow, that was crazy. But anyway... get us another batch of money and I'm sure we'll be cool this time."

Sincerely,

The Gubment

SapperPE said:
I found out the hard way that lawyers can do almost anything if they have the right judge, including take your supposedly untouchable 401K.

SapperPE said:
I found out the hard way that lawyers can do almost anything if they have the right judge, including take your supposedly untouchable 401K.
Not to beat a dead horse...But

In order to get a Building permit in PA for a residential lot with disturbance over one acre, the government is mandating that you deed restrict your storm water management BMP and agree to take care of it forever. Then you have to contribute a few grand to a stormwater fund.

It is essentially a backdoor way of them taking your land while providing nothing in consideration.

How it is legal I have no idea.

So do I believe that they would take something while citing some sort of public service that they are providing, of course.

I can't be the only one that would be pulling everything out and paying the penalty rather than handing it over to the fed for the promise that they'll take care of me later.
No, I'd be there with you. Then I'd probably purchase a lot of guns, ammo, canned food and bottled water.

So do I believe that they would take something while citing some sort of public service that they are providing, of course.
Well, the SCOTUS has determined that it is perfectly legal for the government to seize your land if it can make more taxes off of it by giving it to a developer. How 'more tax revenue' equals 'for the common good' is beyond me, but the precedent has been set.

Interesting times we live in that a bunch of engineering professionals seriously contemplate the kinds of moves being discussed here.

May it never be.

Well, the SCOTUS has determined that it is perfectly legal for the government to seize your land if it can make more taxes off of it by giving it to a developer. How 'more tax revenue' equals 'for the common good' is beyond me, but the precedent has been set.
They're trying to do something about that in Texas:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-09/t...rty-rights.html

Though Rick Perry is the same man who wanted to take 500,000 acres of Texas land and turn it in to a tollway run by a Spanish company (the Trans Texas Corridor)... I don't trust that sumbeech... he's in it for one thing. What's good for Rick Perry.

Interesting times we live in that a bunch of engineering professionals seriously contemplate the kinds of moves being discussed here.
Ain't that the truth. The scary thing is that I'm hearing it from a number of professional groups, people you wouldn't think of as wild-eyed nuts. Its beginning to become mainstream.

Back