College Town Suggestions?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was in College Station, Texas (Texas A&M), I would go to the Dixie Chicken and have a beer and a hamburger.

If I was in Stillwater, Oklahoma (Oklahoma State) I would go to Eskimo Joe's, have a hamburger, beer and buy a shirt.
If you go to College Station, Dixie Chicken is awesome, but you'll have to go to Freebirds and have a burrito. If you can find it, there is a little home run Mexican place in Bryan(College Station and Bryan grew into each other) called Tampico's and they have AWESOME breakfast, they're cactus n potatoes are amazing! The original owners have turned it over to the kids, so I'm not sure it's as good since they made it more Americanized, but it used to be fantastic...My cuz and his wife lived there while she got he doctorate in genetics, so we visited one or two times a year over the last 10 years or so

If I were in Columbia, MO (Univ of Missouri, MIZZOU), I would definitely go to Deja Vu for drinks and dancing or the entire upstairs is a comedy club with some of the hottest comics in the nation, grab a pizza at Shakespeares and if there is a Mizzou game, go to the Field House or anyplace along Broadway St.

If I were in Columbia, MO (Univ of Missouri, MIZZOU), I would definitely go to Deja Vu for drinks and dancing or the entire upstairs is a comedy club with some of the hottest comics in the nation, grab a pizza at Shakespeares and if there is a Mizzou game, go to the Field House or anyplace along Broadway St.
Deja Vu around here is a strip club...full nudity if I remember correctly from the radio ads. The owner has a PT cruiser completely custom decaled with near naked girls hugging each other and he drives it around town, to/from work, etc. It is usually at the gas station convinence store every morning as I drive by on my way to work.

I guess I should contribute to my own thread.

MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (EAST LANSING)

Best Hotel - Marriott (MAC Avenue)

Best Burger & Beer - Crunchy's (Grand River Avenue)

Best Dog/Brat & Beer - What Up Dawg? (Albert Avenue)

Best Breakfast - Leo's (MAC)

Best Ice Cream - MSU Dairy Store (Farm Lane or Student Union)

Best Pub - Harper's (Albert)

Best Dive Bar - The Riv (MAC)

Best Place to Eat/Drink Outside - Peanut Barrel (Grand River)

Best Place to Eat/Drink on a Roof - El Azteco (Albert)

Best Place to Get a Cigar - Campbell's Smoke Shop (MAC)

I see I broke my own format a little but you get the idea.
Interesting, I've never even heard of most of those and the only one I've been to is El Azteco. Even though I only live a half-hour away.

I will, however, add: Best Indian Food - Swagath Indian Cuisine (Trowbridge)

I've been to the Peanut Barrel and MSU Dairy Store. I second the opinion on Swagath, but Woody's Oasis not so much.

I've been to the Peanut Barrel and MSU Dairy Store. I second the opinion on Swagath, but Woody's Oasis not so much.

The Woody's on Grand River is a lot nicer than the one on Trowbridge.

And have you even been to the other Indian place in East Lansing?

If you have one night to spend in Atlanta Georgia [Ga Tech], you should have a chili-dog and Frosted Orange at the Varsity, then (if you survive) mosey on over to Sweetwater Brewery for a tour and sample a "Dank Tank", "Road Trip", or "Happy Ending". After that, take in a show (any show!) at the legendary Fox Theatre, followed by a trip over to Northside Tavern for the weekly blues jam.

I would skip The Varsity part though.

If you have one night to spend in Athens Georgia [uGA], you should have a chicken finger plate at Guthries, then drink a local Terrapin Ale "Hopsecutioner" at the 40-Watt Club while listening to trendy local bands (most of whom are talentless nobodys that will break up tomorrow, but some of whom will go on to become REM or the B-52s). Then wander the rest of the downtown watering holes and see what you see.

If you have one night to spend in Athens Georgia [uGA], you should have a chicken finger plate at Guthries,

Guthries is awesome. They had locations in Haleyville and Jasper when I still had family living in Alabama. Best chicken fingers I ever had.

If you have one night to spend in Athens Georgia [uGA], you should have a chicken finger plate at Guthries,
Guthries is awesome. They had locations in Haleyville and Jasper when I still had family living in Alabama. Best chicken fingers I ever had.
Chickens have fingers?! Who knew...

If you have one night to spend in East Lansing, MI (Michigan State), you should witness a couch burning. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Ann Arbor firefighters respond to couch fires after U-M basketball victory

April 7, 2013

By Elisha Anderson

Detroit Free Press Staff Writer

Ann Arbor firefighters responded to four couch fires after the University of Michigan basketball team’s victory Saturday night.

The couches were set on fire in different areas near campus starting just before midnight and ending around 3 a.m., Battalion Chief Kevin Cook said.

“We responded and put them out,” he said.

QFT

I would add in going to Flatbranch for many beers. Another good place in town is D. Rowe's.

Deja Vu around here is a strip club...full nudity if I remember correctly from the radio ads. The owner has a PT cruiser completely custom decaled with near naked girls hugging each other and he drives it around town, to/from work, etc. It is usually at the gas station convinence store every morning as I drive by on my way to work.

Are you saying you've been to said club, or only heard the ads?

If you have one night to spend in East Lansing, MI (Michigan State), you should witness a couch burning. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Ann Arbor firefighters respond to couch fires after U-M basketball victory

April 7, 2013

By Elisha Anderson

Detroit Free Press Staff Writer

Ann Arbor firefighters responded to four couch fires after the University of Michigan basketball team’s victory Saturday night.

The couches were set on fire in different areas near campus starting just before midnight and ending around 3 a.m., Battalion Chief Kevin Cook said.

“We responded and put them out,” he said.

I saw that on facebook, pretty funny.

Maybe a lil moonlighting?

only hear the ads and see the car almost every day. On the local rock station around here deja vu has a commercial nearly every commercial break so it is hard to avoid.

Maybe a lil moonlighting?
only for mr snick :dance:

I guess I should contribute to my own thread.

MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (EAST LANSING)

Best Hotel - Marriott (MAC Avenue)

Best Burger & Beer - Crunchy's (Grand River Avenue)

Best Dog/Brat & Beer - What Up Dawg? (Albert Avenue)

Best Breakfast - Leo's (MAC)

Best Ice Cream - MSU Dairy Store (Farm Lane or Student Union)

Best Pub - Harper's (Albert)

Best Dive Bar - The Riv (MAC)

Best Place to Eat/Drink Outside - Peanut Barrel (Grand River)

Best Place to Eat/Drink on a Roof - El Azteco (Albert)

Best Place to Get a Cigar - Campbell's Smoke Shop (MAC)

I see I broke my own format a little but you get the idea.

Interesting, I've never even heard of most of those and the only one I've been to is El Azteco. Even though I only live a half-hour away.
Lots of the above are within a "stone's throw" of El Azteco.

The Riv is literally across the street from El Azteco and has been there for decades.

Peanut Barrel and Crunchy's are old too.

Harper's used to be Dooley's Bar back in the old days.

What Up Dawg opened in 2010.

Leo's is newer than that.

Back