Can someone freak out with me a little here?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
So I took the exam twice now and failed, just barely, both times and probably because I stressed during the test. I wrote my board to see if maybe I could sit out the next go round and I got this reply:

"You are application is good for two (2) years. Your application was originally submitted 12/5/2006 so your application is good until 12/5/2008. If you don't wish to take the October Exam then you would need to resubmit your application, $100, updated references and work history. Also, you can take the exam three (3) times if you don't passed the third time you will need to take 12 college semester credits in the areas you are deficient in as stated in the evaluation form that is sent with your exam results letter."

TWELVE college semester credits?! I don't plan on failing a third time, just like I didn't plan on failing the other two times, but signing up for a whole semester worth of college credits has me a little freaked out and putting way more stress on passing this time. It almost seems like I should wait, resubmit everything, and really try and get it the next go round with all I've got, because I have to admit that the thought of taking that much school has me thinking I would just never get licensed.

And just to clarify, yes, I've studied and yes, I am studying and I would just study through and yes, I missed it by 3 the first time.

I just am blown away by the cost and time commitment on top of studying that awaits me if I don't pass. It's not that I don't know how to engineer...it's not letting test anxiety eat my brain.

I agree in that 12 credits seems a bit much. My way of looking at it is this:

Considering the time and cost involved in obtaining another 12 college credits, the best option would seem to be spend the $100 and give yourself the extra preparation time. Trying to rush preparation for the October '08 exam along with all the additional junk that would be at stake will likely make your test stress just that much worse. :2cents:

not letting test anxiety eat my brain.
Test anxiety has always gotten me too. Slightly different situation where you have to make a financial decision, $100 vs a potential Thousands of dollars, but I approached the test process with the mentality that I will be taking it again. It is a rather negative approach, but I have to think that way or the stress would have been too overwhleming. I studied my butt off for the test. It's a mental game, but at the end of the day it is just a test.

I had the two years eligibility thing myself starring at me.

It added A LOT of pressure to my last attempt.

I just sucked it up, and studied the way I should have before.

It can be done by October, easily. That would be my plan, but that's just me.

What if you take the extra time and still fail? You would still need to do the additonal 12 hour thing, right? I think waiting and re-submitting everything (including more money) would be more stressful for me.

I find it odd that an application is only good for 2 years with no way of updating. A modified version of that exists in CO where the process is the same, but the 2 years is measured from the last time you took an exam. This way it allows the individual to take a break, miss an exam, and still sit for the following without the added pressure of resubmitting.

As much as the option of waiting and preparing that extra bit sounds attractive... the real question is, how different or how much extra are you planning to stuff in your preparation that you did not already cover in your first 2 attempts? If you know that there is something that you really should have done or should have studied differently then go with the extra time, but just to be mentally relaxed now I suggest that don't go for it.. Since, come April '09, you will still be floating in the same boat. It completely depends on how you are approachiing this 3rd attempt, then only it will help you decide if waiting will really help or just delay your nervousness...

I am not trying to discourage here, so please don't get me wrong... I myself was nervouse during the morning and while people claim to score the bulk in the morning I did opposite.. I lost easy pickings in the morning and got myself in a big hole.. but somehow managed enough in the afternoon. I am, in no way,an expert on anything. I just happened to get lucky, but barely... If you need any help from any of us here then you know that there will be plenty...

Keep us posted.

You got almost four good months of studying before the exam...I'd go for October.

And just to clarify, yes, I've studied and yes, I am studying and I would just study through and yes, I missed it by 3 the first time.
I just am blown away by the cost and time commitment on top of studying that awaits me if I don't pass. It's not that I don't know how to engineer...it's not letting test anxiety eat my brain.
The time I passed, I planned on spending two nights at a hotel near the test facility rather than just one. I never get a good night sleep the first night on the road.

I budgeted for a few massages to unwind, one each night, and one back home. Two nights before the test, I organized all of my books, and made sure I had my stash of batteries, snacks and drinks. The day before the test, I relaxed around town.

I passed it that time around with the new approach.

I look at it like a hitter getting ready to bat. If you are tight, you will probably strike out. I went in relaxed, deep breaths, and performed. There was nothing else to study, it was a matter of solving problems I knew how to, and guessing on the other ones with educated guesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or...

you could just take the transpo depth because I hear it is the easiest

(j/k...)

I would definitely take it again as soon as possible and modify my study/preparation habits. I am in the 4-timers club, and it was not until I took a course that I passed.

You can do it, if you put your mind to it.... here was my motto for my exam prep:

"Do it once, do it right, and never do it again."

You have a clean slate going into this exam... kick it in the ass and show it who's boss!

When you pass, we'll send you the guys of EB.com calendar!!!! :eyebrows:

I'm with bigray. You can pass it and we're here for any questions you may have. If we can answer them that is

edit: We'll have to discuss the guys calender thing though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back