Can I apply for PE exam without getting EIT certification? (NJ)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sof

Reaction score
I recently passed both FE and PE exams in New Jersey, but I did not apply for the EIT. I am wondering if I can directly apply for the PE exam without getting an EIT. Anyone had a similar situation?

Do you have the required experience to qualify for PE license? Looking over the NJ regulations, it doesn't look like you necessarily need to have EIT certification to qualify for the PE license, but you need to pass the 2 exams. As an EIT, you don't have the power to seal plans and EIT designation goes away once you become licensed.

Why would you not have gotten the EIT? That's like passing the PE but not applying for licensure!

I am registered in NJ and was never an EIT. I went back to test after 20 years. Took the FE one month, PE the next. No problems getting licensed when results came out. If you have proper experience that meets the requirements for license, it's no issue. Not everyone goes traditional route.

Why would you not have gotten the EIT? That's like passing the PE but not applying for licensure!
not all states value the EIT in their PE requirements as much as PA does. Most states just care about your experience, not your experience after a title has been activated.

not all states value the EIT in their PE requirements as much as PA does. Most states just care about your experience, not your experience after a title has been activated.
But isn’t the FE exam a prerequisite everywhere? Why would some states not value it?

But isn’t the FE exam a prerequisite everywhere? Why would some states not value it?
Remember the FE is required but the EIT isn't in most states. States like Delaware will use any experience you have whether before or after your FE for application to the PE. Now PA will only count experience once your EIT is issued for your PE experience hence why PA puts so much weight into it while the EIT means nothing in Delaware.

Remember the FE is required but the EIT isn't in most states. States like Delaware will use any experience you have whether before or after your FE for application to the PE. Now PA will only count experience once your EIT is issued for your PE experience hence why PA puts so much weight into it while the EIT means nothing in Delaware.
I know the rules in my own state. No need to explain them to me.

Also, I didn't realize that you were differentiating the FE exam from the EIT certification. I was equating them. The fact is that every single state requires the FE exam prior to any application for licensure (and should require the PE exam prior to an application). I personally don't agree with decoupling education from experience like some states have done. It leads to college graduates attempting the PE exam just to get it out of the way, and that's a dangerous attitude to have in engineering.

The EIT certificate gives you no professional power(ability to sign/seal plans, testify at hearings etc.), but gives credability and lets others know that you passed the FE exam and are working towards the PE since there used to be a 3-4 year gap in most states between passing FE exam and qualifying for PE exam. With the decoupling of exams, you can take the exams whenever you want regardless of experience and your experience doesn't need to come after passing the FE exam.

The EIT certificate gives you no professional power(ability to sign/seal plans, testify at hearings etc.), but gives credability and lets others know that you passed the FE exam and are working towards the PE since there used to be a 3-4 year gap in most states between passing FE exam and qualifying for PE exam. With the decoupling of exams, you can take the exams whenever you want regardless of experience and your experience doesn't need to come after passing the FE exam.
Not entirely accurate. Even if you take the two exams on consecutive days, no state will grant you a license until you meet the experience requirement.

Decoupling the education from experience doesn't negate your initial point where proof of passing the FE shows that you're pursuing your professional license.

Not entirely accurate. Even if you take the two exams on consecutive days, no state will grant you a license until you meet the experience requirement.

Decoupling the education from experience doesn't negate your initial point where proof of passing the FE shows that you're pursuing your professional license.
The experience is required before license is issued. However, if you get your experience before taking the 2 exams, and you meet all requirements for the PE license, the time to process EIT certificate and PE license may be the same.

Previously you had to apply to the Board for EIT certification before you can take the FE exam. Now anyone can take the test as long as you pay NCEES.

The experience is required before license is issued. However, if you get your experience before taking the 2 exams, and you meet all requirements for the PE license, the time to process EIT certificate and PE license may be the same.

Previously you had to apply to the Board for EIT certification before you can take the FE exam. Now anyone can take the test as long as you pay NCEES.
You proved my point:
......no state will grant you a license until you meet the experience requirement.

I am registered in Maryland. I never received the EIT. Maryland allows you to apply based on your work experience alone, or work experience combined with formal education. It depends on the State you decide to apply to.

Back