camping / backpacking thread...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its an igloo 120 qt (ish) the kind  you used to find at a camping store before the Lexus ones came out, we will freeze some empty milk jugs (with  water) and put in the cooler and it works like a champ - I've had it at least a decade, I used to have it on my boat back in Atlanta - 

Camping gear has just gotten kind of cra cra expensive the last 5 years though.

the options for insulated womens hiking boots is garbage.

there are 14 options on REI.com, 21 options for men. And of the 14 for women, at least 3 would be terrible hiking boots for the White Mountains, ADK, etc. And then of those 11 left, like 3 have 400g of insulation which is what's recommended in the Northeast. And one pair of the 400g boots is lined in white fleece... WHY?!

Most insulated boots offered are 200g. And it's proven that women run colder. Why wouldn't you capitalize on that and offer more 400g & even 600g?!

I'm looking at the Keen Summit County boots which only comes in mens. 450g in the toes and 300g elsewhere. My other option is to re-buy my 200g womens boots up another half size so I can wear 2 pairs of socks - my 9.5s don't give me enough space and I lost feeling in my feet on my hike a week ago (didn't help my hiking partner hikes slower than I do - I thought she'd be faster than I since she hikes weekly and outhiked me in the summer) 

I'm lucky I have big enough feet to wear mens boots - especially when it comes to EH rated safety toe boots.

We found some Merrells for men and women (winter hiking boots) that they dont sell at REI (we found them at Cabelas) and they have been great for Rocky Mountain Snow Shoeing (not sure of the grams of insulation), but we usually wear thin wool sock liners also, but we have used them in -10's.

We found some Merrells for men and women (winter hiking boots) that they dont sell at REI (we found them at Cabelas) and they have been great for Rocky Mountain Snow Shoeing (not sure of the grams of insulation), but we usually wear thin wool sock liners also, but we have used them in -10's.
I found a pair of Merrells but I didn't like the lacing - I prefer to have 2 eyehooks for lacing in winter and these only had 1. I've got wonky ankles and the way they hit was annoying. 

I also looked at local places and some direct manufacturer sites prior to going back to REI.com 

& I thought my wife as picky :D

The ones we have are around 5 years old and I haven't seen any like these since we bought them - they are about due for replacement but since they are usually strapped to snow shoes they have tons of support and tread life left -

Did you check the website "backcountry.com" by chance?

the options for insulated womens hiking boots is garbage.

there are 14 options on REI.com, 21 options for men. And of the 14 for women, at least 3 would be terrible hiking boots for the White Mountains, ADK, etc. And then of those 11 left, like 3 have 400g of insulation which is what's recommended in the Northeast. And one pair of the 400g boots is lined in white fleece... WHY?!

Most insulated boots offered are 200g. And it's proven that women run colder. Why wouldn't you capitalize on that and offer more 400g & even 600g?!

I'm looking at the Keen Summit County boots which only comes in mens. 450g in the toes and 300g elsewhere. My other option is to re-buy my 200g womens boots up another half size so I can wear 2 pairs of socks - my 9.5s don't give me enough space and I lost feeling in my feet on my hike a week ago (didn't help my hiking partner hikes slower than I do - I thought she'd be faster than I since she hikes weekly and outhiked me in the summer) 

I'm lucky I have big enough feet to wear mens boots - especially when it comes to EH rated safety toe boots.
US Army "Bunny boots". Warmest boots ever made (maybe too warm). Everyone who is anyone in Alaska has a pair of these. And  beaver fur hat.

You can't get them new anymore, but you can find surplus everywhere and if you have smallish feet (compared to dudes) you can probably find your equlivalent size easily.

410XBdO8WYL._SY355_.jpg

I dont recall the brand but I bought a mid range one from JAX (local version of REI store) around $35 bucks. very light and comfortable to wear, but thats about my limit on spending money on one.

I use this one from energizer. Been using energizer headlamps for a while and I like them.
I have a couple of energizer ones.

I really wish i could remember the lumens for each one.

Boyfriend has this absurd Milwaukee one and it's SO BRIGHT. but so very uncomfortable since it's meant for a hard hat lol

I have an older led petzel.  It has a unique design with an elastic retractable coil instead of a strap.  
 Packing tonight for winter camping.   Going to be a cold one this year and some snow.  Dragging out all the heavy weight gear. 

I am really looking forward to camping this summer. For whatever reason I am not really feeling ski season this year so lets just let the snow melt and do some 4 wheeling and camping!

Only been skiing once so far.  Bad last few weeks for snow in the northeast.   Just stopped for liquor on the way up to the white mountains.   Expecting below 0F and 8” of snow up there.  

Only been skiing once so far.  Bad last few weeks for snow in the northeast.   Just stopped for liquor on the way up to the white mountains.   Expecting below 0F and 8” of snow up there.  
i'm jealous, i've only gotten up there once this winter so far. haven't skied yet - next weekend tho.

i have a Northern Presi hike soon tho. belated birthday present to myself was a mountaineering class and guided hike with Redline 

i'm jealous, i've only gotten up there once this winter so far. haven't skied yet - next weekend tho.

i have a Northern Presi hike soon tho. belated birthday present to myself was a mountaineering class and guided hike with Redline 
are you planning on taking on some high peaks?

are you planning on taking on some high peaks?
Yeah - I don't know which yet, hoping Madison or Adams. Obvs depends on weather and what Agiocochook wants to do that day - I'll get a hike regardless but it may not be extended time above treeline 

Back