California Senate Bill 1085 (exam every two years for all licensees)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question is by how much will the renewal fee go up?

It doesn't sound logical that they'd add another administrative task to their workload, set up a system for this test, and not get paid for it. Sounds nice on paper... keeping people current on laws and all. But sounds more like a way to sneak in revenue.

And to think I used to complain linving in Taxachusetts.

This was a hot topic at the last PECG meeting. From my understanding it is an attempt to keep PEs current on the applicable laws and reduce the number of infractions. PECG is of course opposed to the bill. Not sure where I stand. 

PECG leaders met with Richard Moore, the Executive Officer for the Board of Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists regarding Senate Bill 1085 (Roth). This Board-sponsored bill would require all licensees who apply for renewal to take an examination (now amended to an “assessment”) which includes (but is not limited to) questions regarding knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations. As explained by Mr. Moore, about 50,000 engineers, land surveyors, and geologists apply to renew their license every year. The Board processes about 50 violations each year for such activities as “failing to include all required elements in a written contract”, and “failing to sign and seal professional documents in the manner required by law.” These activities “did not rise to the level of warranting formal disciplinary action”, but the bill would authorize disciplinary action if the assessment is not completed within 60 days.

PECG questioned why all licensees should be required to take an exam every two years to deal with “non-practice related infractions” by 50 (0.1%) of the licensees, and why the Board should be authorized to impose disciplinary action when such authority does not currently exist.

PECG is opposed to SB 1085. Members who wish to express their views should call the Board at (916) 263-2284.

Question is by how much will the renewal fee go up?

It doesn't sound logical that they'd add another administrative task to their workload, set up a system for this test, and not get paid for it. Sounds nice on paper... keeping people current on laws and all. But sounds more like a way to sneak in revenue.

And to think I used to complain linving in Taxachusetts.
The FAQs say the fees won't go up.  We'll see....

This was a hot topic at the last PECG meeting. From my understanding it is an attempt to keep PEs current on the applicable laws and reduce the number of infractions. PECG is of course opposed to the bill. Not sure where I stand. 

PECG leaders met with Richard Moore, the Executive Officer for the Board of Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists regarding Senate Bill 1085 (Roth). This Board-sponsored bill would require all licensees who apply for renewal to take an examination (now amended to an “assessment”) which includes (but is not limited to) questions regarding knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations. As explained by Mr. Moore, about 50,000 engineers, land surveyors, and geologists apply to renew their license every year. The Board processes about 50 violations each year for such activities as “failing to include all required elements in a written contract”, and “failing to sign and seal professional documents in the manner required by law.” These activities “did not rise to the level of warranting formal disciplinary action”, but the bill would authorize disciplinary action if the assessment is not completed within 60 days.

PECG questioned why all licensees should be required to take an exam every two years to deal with “non-practice related infractions” by 50 (0.1%) of the licensees, and why the Board should be authorized to impose disciplinary action when such authority does not currently exist.

PECG is opposed to SB 1085. Members who wish to express their views should call the Board at (916) 263-2284.
I don't like it when people use acronyms I don't know.  I never know if it's their fault for not defining the acronym or if I am stupid for not knowing it.  I have no idea what PECG is.  :eek:

So, wait, I'm just seeing this now. It looks like it actually went into effect. Has anyone here had to actually do this exam?

So, wait, I'm just seeing this now. It looks like it actually went into effect. Has anyone here had to actually do this exam?
I almost forgot about this thread and this SB.  Did it really pass?  Do you have a link with more info?  Thanks. 

Check out the Amended Bill (amended two days after this thread was started).  It removes all reference to an "examination" and, instead, calls it an "assessment".

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/15-16/bill/sen/sb_1051-1100/sb_1085_bill_20160407_amended_sen_v98.html

Ahhhh.... found it.  Approved September 25, 2016. 

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1085 

My last renewal was early 2016.  So my next one is early 2018.  Thus, I have not experienced the "assessment" yet.  Has anyone experienced it? 

Yep, that's what I saw. Well, it will be interesting to see what happens. I don't think anyone in my office has had to renew since September last year. I wonder how you'll even access the assessment.
"For the purposes of this section, “assessment” means an online program that contains educational reading material and questions."

"For the purposes of this section, “assessment” means an online program that contains educational reading material and questions."
Yep yep, I just meant, how will renewal applicants find out about and get access to said online program? Has said online program already been developed?

I guess I've just gotta wait until someone on here goes through it.

Yep yep, I just meant, how will renewal applicants find out about and get access to said online program? Has said online program already been developed?

I guess I've just gotta wait until someone on here goes through it.
I just assumed there would be an invitation to the online assessment along with your (still physically mailed?) bi-annual renewal notice.  If no one goes sooner, I will clearly state my experience with the assessment here when I go through it in 3 or so months. 

I asked around the office and any PE who has had their registration renewal within the last 12 months (on guy as recently as last month)  has not yet had to take the assessment.  I suspect that SB 1085 has been approved but not yet implemented.  

Latest posts

Back