CALIFORNIA - RESULTS Oct 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On July 17th CAPELS who I think is AKA Ric Moore wrote this:
"July 16, 2010, at 4:26 pm, 16 buckets of exam results were picked up by the US POST office, pre-postmarked for delivery.

Good luck and Please don't start calling on Monday looking for your results...Give the mail some time, and the license lookup too."

I can't remember what the refile deadline was then, but think it was at least 2 weeks later. Think I'll try to look it up. Yes, I am going crazy, bored, not working, doing useless things etc.etc.

:brickwall:
I think the final post date is 8/23/10 (Monday) last time.

On July 17th CAPELS who I think is AKA Ric Moore wrote this:
"July 16, 2010, at 4:26 pm, 16 buckets of exam results were picked up by the US POST office, pre-postmarked for delivery.

Good luck and Please don't start calling on Monday looking for your results...Give the mail some time, and the license lookup too."

I can't remember what the refile deadline was then, but think it was at least 2 weeks later. Think I'll try to look it up. Yes, I am going crazy, bored, not working, doing useless things etc.etc.

:brickwall:
I think the final post date is 8/23/10 (Monday) last time.

I WOULD SAY SOMETIME NEXT WEEK IS DAY.

There is a disagreement between us and board in the way January is divided, board considers only two proportions, one is early and other is late.
well thats a retarded way to divide a month, so...makes sense. I can see them trying to explain that jan 14th is early january and jan 16th is late january
I ASKED A FED GUY ABOUT WHAT EXACTLY EARLY JAN MEANS...... HE SAID, IT IS GENERALLY THE FIRST WEEK BUT CAN BE EXTENDED TO 15.

I ASKED A FED GUY ABOUT WHAT EXACTLY EARLY JAN MEANS...... HE SAID, IT IS GENERALLY THE FIRST WEEK BUT CAN BE EXTENDED TO 15.
15th is a Saturday. In which, if we don't get the results by Friday before, all of us in California will be absolutely pissed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh! Its really hard for me not to feel like my life is on hold until I get these results. (no matter what the result) I know that means I don't have a life or whatever. Its just that I flew all the way from KC and I've only given myself this one shot. If I fail, I'm not flying out there again.

I called the board. The lady over the phone told me that results will be out next week. She also mentioned that on website they have posted that results will be out early january.

By the way, I called the California Board up recently, and I talked Ric Moore. The results are not coming out this week, but he expects them to be released next week. That's where I'm drawing the line in terms of my patience.

Ugh! Its really hard for me not to feel like my life is on hold until I get these results. (no matter what the result) I know that means I don't have a life or whatever. Its just that I flew all the way from KC and I've only given myself this one shot. If I fail, I'm not flying out there again.
I flight to CA from NY three times already. I am going to get my 4 years experience soon..so if I didn't pass this time that I will take in NY as the new taker...

I flight to CA from NY three times already. I am going to get my 4 years experience soon..so if I didn't pass this time that I will take in NY as the new taker...
Yeah, I have two more years to get my 4 years of experience. If I don't pass I'm going to just wait 2 years and take the test in Kansas. I feel like I really put myself out there taking the test early. The first thing my boss said when I got back after the test was that everyone in our office has passed it on their first try, so I better not break that trend.

I flew from PA to CA just to retake the Survey exam. I hope I passed it. I used to live in CA, I miss the redwoods but not CA politics. CA is going to completely collapse, you can't have everyone taking from the pot and noone contributing. People migrate to CA just to get on welfare! But it is a beautiful state and much nicer folks than the east coast in my opinion.

Yeah, I have two more years to get my 4 years of experience. If I don't pass I'm going to just wait 2 years and take the test in Kansas. I feel like I really put myself out there taking the test early. The first thing my boss said when I got back after the test was that everyone in our office has passed it on their first try, so I better not break that trend.
So if you passed, you'll be a PE in CA in two more years? Are you CIV? Did you take the Surveying and Seismic exams? Will Kansas allow you to transfer your CA license?

By the way, I called the California Board up recently, and I talked Ric Moore. The results are not coming out this week, but he expects them to be released next week. That's where I'm drawing the line in terms of my patience.
So much for early January...nice job CA.

So if you passed, you'll be a PE in CA in two more years? Are you CIV? Did you take the Surveying and Seismic exams? Will Kansas allow you to transfer your CA license?
CA only requires 2 year of experience. If I pass, I will be a P.E. in CA. I have my degree in architectural engineering. I do Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing design. I took the Mechanical test. Most people in my office have architectural P.E.'s (CA doesn't recognize them, btw) I will have to wait until I get my 4 years of experience before I can get reciprocity in KS. In reality a PE in CA is more beneficial to me. Everyone in my office is licensed in KS, but nobody is licensed in CA. I decided to take it early because my husband took it last October in KS and I helped him study so much I felt I was ready to take it. We also don't want to start a family until after I get my PE. If I don't pass in CA, that means waiting a year longer than we want. If I end up taking a test in KS, it will probably be architectural and it is only offered in the spring. That means actually wait 3 more years.

CA only requires 2 year of experience. If I pass, I will be a P.E. in CA. I have my degree in architectural engineering. I do Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing design. I took the Mechanical test. Most people in my office have architectural P.E.'s (CA doesn't recognize them, btw) I will have to wait until I get my 4 years of experience before I can get reciprocity in KS. In reality a PE in CA is more beneficial to me. Everyone in my office is licensed in KS, but nobody is licensed in CA. I decided to take it early because my husband took it last October in KS and I helped him study so much I felt I was ready to take it. We also don't want to start a family until after I get my PE. If I don't pass in CA, that means waiting a year longer than we want. If I end up taking a test in KS, it will probably be architectural and it is only offered in the spring. That means actually wait 3 more years.
You should also start to take master degree in KS. Maybe you don't need to wait additional 2 years.

You should also start to take master degree in KS. Maybe you don't need to wait additional 2 years.
I considered getting my masters degree when I was still in undergrad, but all of the employers I spoke to said it would not give me an advantage in my field (consulting MEP firms). It would take me 2 years to get a master's degree anyway...

So much for early January...nice job CA.
What gets me irked about all of this is that there are a lot of people working there that have done this exact process, and have done this probably 4 + times + they know how many tests? They could of easily known, with a day or so, when this will be completed in my humble opinion. They could of said, looks like around Jan 10th, for example. It would of saved a lot of grief. by saying "early Jan" a lot of us thought it would have to be this week.

Please do not be offended, but how does having a license in California help you as an employee of an engineering firm in Kansas? Unless your company is large enough to compete with firms from California and win work there, it seems like having a license for a state your company has not broken into the market in isn't beneficial for you or them. I find it hard to believe that if you are the only one in your company who is licensed (or who will be providing you passed the exam) in California that your company will have any chance of winning any work there. You kind of need to show a resume with multiple jobs that have similar design requirement as California and people who are familiar with California's requirements, etc. This seems like a check the block move to me and not a realistic career enhancing or company advancing move. I can understand wanting it out of the way before having a baby, but I do not believe it is going to be as transferable as you may think. Most states have some sort of clause in their codes that state for commity licensure, you must have met the eligibility requirements for the state you applying to at the time of initial licensure in the state you are licensed in. If you haven't talked to the Kansas board yet, I think you had better, if you anticipate remaining there and practicing as a licensed (in Kansas) engineer. Also, be prepared not to put PE in your email signature, on your memorandums, letters, desk, door, business cards or anywhere else so long as you are living and working in Kansas and licensed in California. You could get in a heap of trouble and not only risk not getting licensed in Kansas but losing your California license as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
SapperPE said:
Please do not be offended, but how does having a license in California help you as an employee of an engineering firm in Kansas? Unless your company is large enough to compete with firms from California and win work there, it seems like having a license for a state your company has not broken into the market in isn't beneficial for you or them. I find it hard to believe that if you are the only one in your company who is licensed (or who will be providing you passed the exam) in California that your company will have any chance of winning any work there. You kind of need to show a resume with multiple jobs that have similar design requirement as California and people who are familiar with California's requirements, etc. This seems like a check the block move to me and not a realistic career enhancing or company advancing move. I can understand wanting it out of the way before having a baby, but I do not believe it is going to be as transferable as you may think. Most states have some sort of clause in their codes that state for commity licensure, you must have met the eligibility requirements for the state you applying to at the time of initial licensure in the state you are licensed in. If you haven't talked to the Kansas board yet, I think you had better, if you anticipate remaining there and practicing as a licensed (in Kansas) engineer. Also, be prepared not to put PE in your email signature, on your memorandums, letters, desk, door, business cards or anywhere else so long as you are living and working in Kansas and licensed in California. You could get in a heap of trouble and not only risk not getting licensed in Kansas but losing your California license as well.
Well, my company has a branch office that does already do work in CA and someone there has a CA license. I understand you don't feel like it will help me in my company, but I spoke with my boss about it and he felt it would be a good move for me. Like I said before, I helped my husband study for it every night for months before he took the test last October. After helping him prepare, I felt like I was ready to take it. That is the only reason why I jumped the gun on it.

If I end up needing to retake the test in KS, that's just the way its going to be. My husband has had co-workers go out to CA and take it with no problems getting reciprocity.

I have spoken with a lot of people about this and all the things you outlined above are probably the reasons why I am so anxious about results.

I also took the test in CA (working in NY) because of the 2-yr experience requirement. My supervisory did the same thing about 12 yrs ago and has received reciprocity to be a licensed PE in about a half dozen other states without being required to retake the test.

play sudoku... last time I couldn't focus at all for my results- i FAILED anyways, but I guess I knew I was gonna get a big FAIL, so i plated sodoku for hours on my phone to take my mind off days before the results.. IT WORKED.. oh and then I made my husband check the mail 4 times for like 2-3 days straight.. I feel not more confident, but not as anxious this time around.....

Back