CA Specific Exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@CAPLS, so now that it has been established that you know more than I do regarding these tests, any insight you could provide would be well received as I have to take surveying again.

1) The board's website says starting April 1st, surveying will be offered on a continuous basis. Will it be offered during the entire quarter, or only for a portion of the quarter?

2) Will test takers have to wait until everyone takes the test that quarter to receive their results, or is it shifting to an individual by individual basis (i.e. cut scores determined from statistical data)?

3) I've heard someone say there are 5 beta questions out of the 55 that get thrown out, is that true?

4) Is there anyway to determine what the cut score is?

5) Do you have any insight on exam strategy? 

Congrats everyone! Passed both seismic and surveying, so now I can get my California license via reciprocity! I'm hoping to never study for another exam the rest of my life if at all possible!
Congrats! Time to celebrate with a CAB (after work of course)! :thumbs:

@CAPLS, so now that it has been established that you know more than I do regarding these tests, any insight you could provide would be well received as I have to take surveying again.

1) The board's website says starting April 1st, surveying will be offered on a continuous basis. Will it be offered during the entire quarter, or only for a portion of the quarter?

2) Will test takers have to wait until everyone takes the test that quarter to receive their results, or is it shifting to an individual by individual basis (i.e. cut scores determined from statistical data)?

3) I've heard someone say there are 5 beta questions out of the 55 that get thrown out, is that true?

4) Is there anyway to determine what the cut score is?

5) Do you have any insight on exam strategy? 
1) The two California civil engineering exams will be offered everyday on a nationwide basis and subject to those dates/times when the CBT testing centers are open.  I believe this is mostly 6 days a week.

2) Results are scheduled to be released on a monthly basis somewhere about mid-month in the month following.  Ex. All April results will be released about mid-May, May results released mid-June, and so on...

3) To the best of my knowledge, there are 55 questions on each of the two civil engineering exams.  Examinees should strive to answer all 55 questions to the best of their ability.  Each question is worth the same number of points (1 point each) and there is no penalty for an incorrect answer...you just don't receive the 1 point.

4) No

5) Study the published test plan specifications as it relates to your unique education and experience.  Nothing...NOTHING...is more helpful then actual work experience.  Ask others what has worked for them and consider whether that will work or not work for you.

Approved candidates will only be able to sit ONCE per exam within a calendar quarter, which means that candidates now have 4 opportunities to test throughout the year.

CAPLS, I have a question that I can't seem to find on this site or in the Board's emails.  I passed the 8 hr exam and surveying in April and just passed the seismic.  Is there anything I have to do further, or does the Board handle everything from here?  Thanks for all your info.

Will a congrats email/letter be sent from the Board to all that passed with our license number? I know that has been that case in the past, but I have yet to get that notification.

Passed my NCEES, Surveying and Seismic first try! Congrats to ones who passed and good luck to people who haven't! 

CAPLS, I have a question that I can't seem to find on this site or in the Board's emails.  I passed the 8 hr exam and surveying in April and just passed the seismic.  Is there anything I have to do further, or does the Board handle everything from here?  Thanks for all your info.
Good question...when you received your national exam results from NCEES, there should had been a 'Next Step' choice that would had linked to more information, presumably on the Board's website (which ever Board you registered for at NCEES), and which would have included a link to a notification form.  Submitting this to the California Board tells the Board that you passed the national exam portion so they can update their database with that information.  If you have now met all the criteria for licensing in California, your account will then be flagged for licensing.  That form can be found at http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/board_notification_form.pdf

Will a congrats email/letter be sent from the Board to all that passed with our license number? I know that has been that case in the past, but I have yet to get that notification.
Only when you have met all the required criteria for licensing.

Prior to testing, I verified with the Board that I had met all the criteria except for one remaining exam. I have passed my last exam. But didn't get a congrats email. Did others that have met the criteria get a congrats email yesterday?

Good question...when you received your national exam results from NCEES, there should had been a 'Next Step' choice that would had linked to more information, presumably on the Board's website (which ever Board you registered for at NCEES), and which would have included a link to a notification form.  Submitting this to the California Board tells the Board that you passed the national exam portion so they can update their database with that information.  If you have now met all the criteria for licensing in California, your account will then be flagged for licensing.  That form can be found at http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/board_notification_form.pdf
I thought this was with the next go around starting next year.  has it always been this way?

Back