CA SEISMIC & SURVEYING

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone give me a recommendation for surveying? I just failed it miserably, although I felt good when talking it. I'm structural not civil, so it's New territory. Thanks.
Two H's, I did not take surveying in school but felt pretty confident after the test and passed my first try. I do have plenty of experience using topographic maps, scaling, and interpreting route plans, but I really recommend studying the following way if you have limited prior knowledge:

1.) Read all of the Cuomo book; only topics that will be on the exam of course

2A.) Take the CPESR course - The on-demand course is $350, has about 8 1-2 hour video segments, with a quiz at the end of each one that builds on the previous segment. It takes about 20 hours to complete the course videos, with four computer based, 2.5 hour simulation exams ranging from easy to very hard, that you can take over and over. I honestly feel these CBT exams are the reason I passed, as his questions are very similar if not much harder than the actual exam. It also comes with a nice booklet of equations/sample problems, including relevant California laws. His videos are very top quality. If you can complete each of the CBT exams at least three times, you'll be good. I'd say I spent about 60 hours studying using these class materials, and the course prepared me for about 50/55 questions on the exam.

AND/OR

2B.)  Mansour's course/book. I did not take the course (i have heard good things though), but I skimmed through the book, and I had it as a backup reference. I ended up using it to answer the remaining 5/55 questions.

And don't bother with the 120 problems, they are too easy. Another personal tip is to use the Casio Fx-115 (it's about $20). It is in my opinion the best calculator for the test, even though others prefer the TI-36x pro or TI-89 (I even did a review on it haha), because it has a DMS button and saves you the frustration of not entering the degree/minutes/second symbol correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed the NCEES and Surveying exams in October 16 and passed the Seismic this round. Do I need to fill out that Successful National Examination form or do anything to get my license number or will they update the database over the next week or two?

I failed surveying, granted I didn't study for it since I focused on the 8 hour (and passed). I took surveying in college and dabble a bit in design work so the material was not entirely new to me. My diagnostic results indicated 3/5 topics as marginal. The other two, deficient.

Is getting a marginal on all topics the threshold for passing or is it a mix of marginal and proficient. Any input will help figure out what areas to focus on thanks!

I passed the NCEES and Surveying exams in October 16 and passed the Seismic this round. Do I need to fill out that Successful National Examination form or do anything to get my license number or will they update the database over the next week or two?
The CA board already have your record and status that you need to fullfill the Seismic specific exam for your license. Your application for license was also approved since it was submitted prior to 2017. I think you be okay and no need to fill out the Successful National examination form. Can anyone verify this.....thanks.

The CA board already have your record and status that you need to fullfill the Seismic specific exam for your license. Your application for license was also approved since it was submitted prior to 2017. I think you be okay and no need to fill out the Successful National examination form. Can anyone verify this.....thanks.
Corrections: prior to December 12, 2016

Also, the new application process did not mentioned about any other documents requirements for prior approved applicants, its only for the new applicants after December 12, 2016. 

I had one deficient and that screwed me over, so probably could have been 3-4 questions tops. 
That's pretty close to passing. I did not manage my time well and was not able to finish all problems. Had to guess at the end (probably last 11 items) and those appears to be the easy ones. I wonder if the problems are the same and chronologically arranged the same way for all examinees so as not to affect the possible outcome. 

The only way to ace this exam is through practice, practice, practice. And on the day of the exam you just have to go!go!go! Do the easy ones first.

14 hours ago, Airplane fanatic said: I had one deficient and that screwed me over, so probably could have been 3-4 questions tops. 
That's pretty close to passing. I did not manage my time well and was not able to finish all problems. Had to guess at the end (probably last 11 items) and those appears to be the easy ones. I wonder if the problems are the same and chronologically arranged the same way for all examinees so as not to affect the possible outcome. The only way to ace this exam is through practice, practice, practice. And on the day of the exam you just have to go!go!go! Do the easy ones first.
Sounds exactly like me. I guessed on the last dozen and realized that they were easy. But do you think going through and doing the easy ones first is a good strategy? Do you think you could end up wasting time that way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I failed surveying, granted I didn't study for it since I focused on the 8 hour (and passed). I took surveying in college and dabble a bit in design work so the material was not entirely new to me. My diagnostic results indicated 3/5 topics as marginal. The other two, deficient.Is getting a marginal on all topics the threshold for passing or is it a mix of marginal and proficient. Any input will help figure out what areas to focus on thanks!
From what I could gather it seems that 65% is the passing grade. That's what the diagnostic report indicates. So I think it's just however you can accumulate 65%. The report gives a mock scenario and explains what the individual would have needed to pass.

3 hours ago, doubleH said: Can anyone give me a recommendation for surveying? I just failed it miserably, although I felt good when talking it. I'm structural not civil, so it's New territory. Thanks.
Two H's, I did not take surveying in school but felt pretty confident after the test and passed my first try. I do have plenty of experience using topographic maps, scaling, and interpreting route plans, but I really recommend studying the following way if you have limited prior knowledge:1.) Read all of the Cuomo book; only topics that will be on the exam of course

2A.) Take the CPESR course - The on-demand course is $350, has about 8 1-2 hour video segments, with a quiz at the end of each one that builds on the previous segment. It takes about 20 hours to complete the course videos, with four computer based, 2.5 hour simulation exams ranging from easy to very hard, that you can take over and over. I honestly feel these CBT exams are the reason I passed, as his questions are very similar if not much harder than the actual exam. It also comes with a nice booklet of equations/sample problems, including relevant California laws. His videos are very top quality. If you can complete each of the CBT exams at least three times, you'll be good. I'd say I spent about 60 hours studying using these class materials, and the course prepared me for about 50/55 questions on the exam.

AND/OR

2B.)  Mansour's course/book. I did not take the course (i have heard good things though), but I skimmed through the book, and I had it as a backup reference. I ended up using it to answer the remaining 5/55 questions.

And don't bother with the 120 problems, they are too easy. Another personal tip is to use the Casio Fx-115 (it's about $20). It is in my opinion the best calculator for the test, even though others prefer the TI-36x pro or TI-89 (I even did a review on it haha), because it has a DMS button and saves you the frustration of not entering the degree/minutes/second symbol correctly.
Thank you for taking the time!

1 hour ago, doubleH said: Can anyone give me a recommendation for surveying? I just failed it miserably, although I felt good when talking it. I'm structural not civil, so it's New territory. Thanks.
Oh man, in the exact same situation as you! I felt good after I took it, but didn't pass. I had one deficient and that screwed me over, so probably could have been 3-4 questions tops. Passed the nationals and seismic though. Well the only suggestion is start studying earlier than you did this time around. Get hold of Coumo's book, they say it's good and Monsour is another good author, though I wouldn't completely rely on only one book, learned the hard way this time. And then I'm def going to do the 120 solved questions book this time. And remember to be smart when you tab your material for the exam. Not to mention you have little to no time to refer to your material during the test so you should pretty much know how to solve a question when you see it. And that requires putting in more hours and practice. 

Make sure you nail down the field measurements portion because that's a good chunk of the test questions pie. That's what screwed me over this time. 

And as always, second time's a charm! 
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Corrections: prior to December 12, 2016

Also, the new application process did not mentioned about any other documents requirements for prior approved applicants, its only for the new applicants after December 12, 2016. 
@mrManager, in addation to my comments the candidates who have not passed the national exam (8-hour exam) after December 12, 2016 are required to submit the form to inform CA board that they passed the national exam. In your case, since you did a refile only for CA specific exam and passed the board will process your licensure. See the links below.

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/pubs/bulletin49.pdf

Sounds exactly like me. I guessed on the last dozen and realized that they were easy. But do you think going through and doing the easy ones first is a good strategy? Do you think you could end up wasting time that way?

This is one of the most essential strategies on the CBT tests. You only have 3 minutes per question, so you should be skipping hard problems first to get all of the easy ones out of the way. For both of the tests, I probably went through the problems 3 times in a snake order.

First run through: Do all easy questions that take little time. Mark easy questions that I know how to do, but take a little time.

Second run through: Do all easy questions that take a little bit of time.

Third run through: Take remainder of time to do all remaining questions that are "more difficult" in their order of difficulty. At 5 minutes remaining, you should be going through every question and if you cant solve it in 1 minute or so, guess.

This is one of the most essential strategies on the CBT tests. You only have 3 minutes per question, so you should be skipping hard problems first to get all of the easy ones out of the way. For both of the tests, I probably went through the problems 3 times in a snake order.

First run through: Do all easy questions that take little time. Mark easy questions that I know how to do, but take a little time.

Third run through: Take remainder of time to do all remaining questions that are "more difficult" in their order of difficulty. At 5 minutes remaining, you should be going through every question and if you cant solve it in 1 minute or so, guess.
Reading through, I made it a little confusing.

First do questions that take no time. Then do questions you know but take more time. Then do questions that are harder. Sorry for confusion.

Just now, Peeks said: This is one of the most essential strategies on the CBT tests. You only have 3 minutes per question, so you should be skipping hard problems first to get all of the easy ones out of the way. For both of the tests, I probably went through the problems 3 times in a snake order. First run through: Do all easy questions that take little time. Mark easy questions that I know how to do, but take a little time.

Reading through, I made it a little confusing.First do questions that take no time. Then do questions you know but take more time. Then do questions that are harder. Sorry for confusion.
The only reason I question the strategy is because I would have to go through and read the question, determine which category it falls in, and solve or move on. I would have to do that for all 55. If it takes 1 minute to read and determine, I would spend an hour categorizing. That's not to mention solving any. If I spend another 1.5 minutes solving the easy ones (say they comprise of 0.333 of the exam), I would be an hour and a half into the exam with about 35 problems left.

Can anyone offer advice on their test taking strategy? Did you just do them in the order they came, or did you do the easy ones first, or...?

Can anyone offer advice on their test taking strategy? Did you just do them in the order they came, or did you do the easy ones first, or...?
Sorry, specifically for Surveying.

Back