CA Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passed All!! 1st time taker for all three. Civil Construction Specific for the 8-hr. Haven't seen anyone post about that one so gotta represent for all the Construction guys/gals!

Thanks to this thread for getting me through the past few days. You all are the only ones that really understand the emotional roller coaster.

Last name: W
I just took the 8hr this round for the first time with the Structural depth and failed.  What was your educational background as well as professional background that made you decide to take the Construction depth? 

Reason I ask is because I bombed the PM section and am considering signing up for the Construction PM instead this next round based on many co-workers' recommendations for how they passed.  I dabbled in multiple disciplines (structural, geotech, and materials) for my undergrad and my job only involves calculating wind and dead loads for power lines as far as true structural design goes.  I've done some construction support but have just 3 years work experience and none of it was full blown field engineering.

I just took the 8hr this round for the first time with the Structural depth and failed.  What was your educational background as well as professional background that made you decide to take the Construction depth? 

Reason I ask is because I bombed the PM section and am considering signing up for the Construction PM instead this next round based on many co-workers' recommendations for how they passed.  I dabbled in multiple disciplines (structural, geotech, and materials) for my undergrad and my job only involves calculating wind and dead loads for power lines as far as true structural design goes.  I've done some construction support but have just 3 years work experience and none of it was full blown field engineering.
I took construction as well last year . To be frank if you have a multiple displine background like me coz I got undergraduate on structure and master in construction , and you don't have chances to refer usual codes during work, PM construction should be easier than structure for you !

Just got a letter from CA. Don't want to open it but I want to know. Grrrr! I really wanted to enjoy this weekend.

Failed both CA tests. F this. I'll wait till next April. Not worth ruining my summer.

I took construction as well last year . To be frank if you have a multiple displine background like me coz I got undergraduate on structure and master in construction , and you don't have chances to refer usual codes during work, PM construction should be easier than structure for you !
Thanks for the info.  Would you say the construction PM has a fair amount of actual calculation/logic based problems or are there a lot of questions that only practice & experience could answer?  Also did you self study or take a review course for the PM part?

Failed the Survey in first try. Could someone recommend some review course or study material? Thank you very much= =
Failed Survey first time using Mansour book. Second time I used Mahalatti book (Fall 2013 boo) and studied chapters 1, 2,3,5,6,8,10. Practiced problems 5 times to gain speed.

For Surveying, I studied Heiner work book  all chapter, practiced problems 5 times.  I did not take any review course.

Do all problems 5 times, by the third time problems will be easy.

Failed Survey first time using Mansour book. Second time I used Mahalatti book (Fall 2013 book) and studied chapters 1, 2,3,5,6,8,10. Practiced problems 5 times to gain speed.

For Seismic, I studied Heiner work book  all chapter, practiced problems 5 times.  I did not take any review course.

Do all problems 5 times, by the third time problems will be easy.

Thanks for the info.  Would you say the construction PM has a fair amount of actual calculation/logic based problems or are there a lot of questions that only practice & experience could answer?  Also did you self study or take a review course for the PM part?
I am studying on myself because I have leant most of the construction knowledge in graduate class. If you never learnt construction systematically you still need spend time on books. Most of them are simple caculation. But for structure , the PM has a lot chances refer to Code, which is tough for me at least. 

I failed Structures Depth portion of 8 hr exam (20/40 Afternoon). I am looking to find out what class to take other than School of PE for helping me study and increase the scores. School of PE helped me for the morning portion but didn't help much in the afternoon. Any helpful ideas much appreciated in advance. Thanks!

I chose to take the Construction Depth because I work in construction. Have been for about 3 years. Project Engineer. Work in the field a lot and do a lot if takeoffs, which helped during the exam. Went to Cal for undergrad for Civil Engineering. No specific depth. I remember the PM being heavy in soils, takeoffs, and OSHA. Glad I had the OSHA book!!! But that's not to say it'll be the same next go around. They like to mix it up. Good luck to you!!

Everyone;

By the grace of God, I am glade to anounce to you all that I am a PE in Califronia. Congrats to all that passed and for ones that failed, keep on pressing....

God bless you all. 

Back