buying a car

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done both. I like buying new. With the amount of miles I put on a vehicle, being new I know how the car was treated. Hondas hold value very well!!!

When Mr snick was selling his camry, just for fun we plugged in the info for my 2006 CRV with over 110K miles on it and it was still worth over $10000. We paid Like $19,700 for it. Not too much much of a loss considering all the miles.

I always buy used. My wife bought a Honda Accord new before we were married and I'm still driving it. I'm looking to sell it and buy a used pickup truck now. I have a friend that gets me into the wholesale car auctions so I end up saving a lot of money that way. One thing that will save you money if you're buying used is to look at craigslist. Don't go to the dealers if you're looking for a deal.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried to get financing for a privately owned vehicle? How does that work?
Same as for any other deal. credit union just cuts a cashier's check to the individual.

If there's a lien on it, it might get more complicated....

Last edited by a moderator:
I always buy used. My wife bought a Honda Accord new before we were married and I'm still driving it. I'm looking to sell it and buy a used pickup truck now. I have a friend that gets me into the wholesale car auctions so I end up saving a lot of money that way. One thing that will save you money if you're buying used is to look at craigslist. Don't go to the dealers if you're looking for a deal.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried to get financing for a privately owned vehicle? How does that work?
Same as for any other deal. credit union just cuts a cashier's check to the individual.

If there's a lien on it, it might get more complicated....

Cool. That's probably how my next vehicle will be purchased. Going to hold off since I'm about to put an f-load of mileage on my car with the pending job change, but the only CTS-V's I can find anymore are privately owned.

A comments about checking the car fax...in some states like IL that is a waste of $ if you have to pay for it. IL does not require agencies to report things to the car fax company. So you will most likely just end up with a bunch of maintanence information if the previous owner took it to dealership to get worked on.

My typical MO is to buy new and then run it 'til the wheels fall off. Currently the stable includes a 20 year old car and an 11 year old truck. I'm considering a new truck simply to switch from an extended cab 1/2 ton to a crew cab 3/4.

A comments about checking the car fax...in some states like IL that is a waste of $ if you have to pay for it. IL does not require agencies to report things to the car fax company. So you will most likely just end up with a bunch of maintanence information if the previous owner took it to dealership to get worked on.
I totaled my ranger in 2002. Did a CarFax on it last year or so, and it is on the road in FL with 100k more miles on it and NO MENTION AT ALL THAT IT WAS EVEN IN AN ACCIDENT!!!

I'll never pay for CarFax again.

I totaled my ranger in 2002. Did a CarFax on it last year or so, and it is on the road in FL with 100k more miles on it and NO MENTION AT ALL THAT IT WAS EVEN IN AN ACCIDENT!!!

I'll never pay for CarFax again.
Apparently IL is not the only state the doesn't require reporting.

Most states don't. I know of cars that ended up with a salvage title that never had anything reported.

all those commercials about show me the car fax before they will buy a car make me laugh.

they have really done a good job of marketing -> instead of telling you to buy the report, they tell you any reputable dealer should have it for you. Forces the dealers to buy them.

all those commercials about show me the car fax before they will buy a car make me laugh.

they have really done a good job of marketing -> instead of telling you to buy the report, they tell you any reputable dealer should have it for you. Forces the dealers to buy them.
and then they will start adding a mysterious fee to the invoice to cover the cost.

I just bought a 2009 Honda Fit... certified used. I paid less than the KBB dealer value. The warranty is important to me on a used car because you don't know how it was treated (CarFax reports notwithstanding!) I also went from 4.3% to 3.4% from Honda because of the warranty. One thing nice about the CarFax is if it shows you how long the car has been in the dealer's hands - it makes it apparent if they're having trouble moving a car for the listed price.

I found most dealers were pretty firm that they couldn't move off their Internet Price. Ultimately it wasn't the case, but I walked out and waited a week before the sales guy called me and said his manager was off that day and the assistant was willing to work a deal. I almost had to walk out again over $92. Kind of silly because we all knew they hadn't stayed late (normally they close at 9:00pm and this was around 10:30pm) for nothing.

I've owned two cars, both used. Got one in high school, drove it partway through grad school, then got my current car. Have an 01 CRV with 150,000 on it. It's in good condition given the mileage and regularly maintained. It still has some value to it, I get decent trade in offers sometimes when I takee it to the shop for service. I just like the not having car payments thing a whole lot. I'd like to get it to 200,000 or more and should be able to squeeze at least 3 more years out of it.

I'd like to buy new on the next one, simply because I've never owned a new car.

I almost had to walk out again over $92. Kind of silly because we all knew they hadn't stayed late (normally they close at 9:00pm and this was around 10:30pm) for nothing.
If you keep knocking money off the price of the car, then maybe they are staying late for "next to nothing"

I'd like to buy new on the next one, simply because I've never owned a new car.
It is fun driving off the lot with a brand new car, but it's not new for very long.

Yep, nothing like buying a brand new black car, then finding fine scratches and craze marks on it when you pull up in your driveway.

Yep, nothing like buying a brand new black car, then finding fine scratches and craze marks on it when you pull up in your driveway.
black cars suck like that, but they look so good when they're all waxed up.

I agree, but I'd really rather not own another one. Lucky for me, my other favorite car color is white. Unlucky for me, almost every CTS-V out there is black :(

I almost had to walk out again over $92. Kind of silly because we all knew they hadn't stayed late (normally they close at 9:00pm and this was around 10:30pm) for nothing.
If you keep knocking money off the price of the car, then maybe they are staying late for "next to nothing"
Not on a used car... there's plenty of margin in those things, right?

I've bought so many black cars, that when my Mom saw my latest, she said, "Oh, look! Cap bought a black car!" in mock surprise.

She keeps saying she's going to get a pirate flag for me to fly on my black car, but she's been saying that since 89 when i got my Civic Si.

Back