buying a car

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udpolo15

Reaction score
After 5 years of being a 1 car family, we finally need to buy a second car. We are really interested the honda pilots. While a new one is a little more than I would like to spend, we will keep it for a long time so I am not sure I want somebody else's 30K miles. I have looked around at some later model used with less than 10K miles and I don't see much price difference between new. In fact, in some cases the list price seem more expensive than what I could get a new one for.

Does anyone have any experience buying a late model/low mileage car? What type of discount did you see? Thanks.

Best thing to do is to compare it against the Blue Book value, IMO. Honda is one company that holds it's value remarkably well. You'll see significantly steeper discounts on most American makes/models compared to a Honda. When my girlfriend bought her Pilot, it was already a few years old and she only saved about 30% over new.

After 5 years of being a 1 car family, we finally need to buy a second car. We are really interested the honda pilots. While a new one is a little more than I would like to spend, we will keep it for a long time so I am not sure I want somebody else's 30K miles. I have looked around at some later model used with less than 10K miles and I don't see much price difference between new. In fact, in some cases the list price seem more expensive than what I could get a new one for.
Does anyone have any experience buying a late model/low mileage car? What type of discount did you see? Thanks.
kbb.com

I have never bought new. Anything used certified with under 50k miles will run for a long time as long as it is taken care of. Always check the car fax too. good luck

A new car, once you sign the dotted line and drive it off the lot, loses 10% (random >0 number) of its value immediately. Used cars, once driven off the lot, can be sold for the same price at which you bought it. Besides, how many cars during this day and age are NOT expected to last at least 100,000 miles?

If you are dead set on a Pilot AND you are going to keep it for a long time, yeah, buy new. Those things retain value pretty well, so buying one a couple years old isn't going to save you all that much.

However, if you aren't dead set on it, a two-three year old American sedan is a screaming deal.

I bought a few new cars, and don't think I'll do it again. (Other than for a toy, like a new Camaro convertible).

We were in the market about 6 months ago, and bought a used Volvo XC90 for my wife.

The new one was $53,000 and way more than I wanted to pay. We found a used one with the color and trim we wanted, the V8 that I wanted, and only paid $24,000 for it. It's an '07 with 50,000 miles. however, I figure a V8 Volvo will easily get 300,000 miles since my brother currently has 240,000 on his 6 cyl.

My wife works 3/4 mile from the house and averages 6,000 miles per year. If she keeps it 5 years, it will have 80,000 on it.

For our low mileage situation, the $$ savings was a no brainer.

I bought a few new cars, and don't think I'll do it again. (Other than for a toy, like a new Camaro convertible).
We were in the market about 6 months ago, and bought a used Volvo XC90 for my wife.

The new one was $53,000 and way more than I wanted to pay. We found a used one with the color and trim we wanted, the V8 that I wanted, and only paid $24,000 for it. It's an '07 with 50,000 miles. however, I figure a V8 Volvo will easily get 300,000 miles since my brother currently has 240,000 on his 6 cyl.

My wife works 3/4 mile from the house and averages 6,000 miles per year. If she keeps it 5 years, it will have 80,000 on it.

For our low mileage situation, the $$ savings was a no brainer.
Do you like your XC90? My wife bought an XC90 before we got married and loved it. I definately think its one of the best styled SUV's out there. It didnt drive very well though. We traded it in for an XC70 and I must say we love that car.

As for the original question, I was in the same bought. The transmission on my car was about to die about two years ago and I needed a new/used car. It ended up being WAY more economical going with a 2 year old used car (I ended up with a Volve S-60; yeah we're Volvo people). As for pricing, I would recommend going online and seeing what the specific car your looking at is going for. Look at all the dealers in the are, even private sales.

We both love the XC90.

I was not impressed by the 4 or 6 cylinder versions, but the first V8 I test drove, I was sold. 315 HP. Handles great for a 3rd row seat SUV.

It has the 6 speed transmission, and the 4&6's only had a 3 speed tranny. Makes HUGE difference too.

kbb.com
I have checked the blue books value and 2010 Pilot doesn't have blue book values yet. From the advertised prices there doesn't seem to be that much of a discount (or any discount in some cases) over a brand spanking new one. For example as 2010 EX-L with 10K is 36K and Edmunds says I can get a new 2011 for 35.3K Even a 2009 Pilot with 26K miles only gets a $2,000 discount.

Plus Honda is having either 0.9%/1.9% (36/60 months) financing deals which is a plus for buying new.

Last edited by a moderator:
We both love the XC90.
I was not impressed by the 4 or 6 cylinder versions, but the first V8 I test drove, I was sold. 315 HP. Handles great for a 3rd row seat SUV.

It has the 6 speed transmission, and the 4&6's only had a 3 speed tranny. Makes HUGE difference too.

We have thought about the XC90. It has been a while since I looked closely and may look at some used ones. How is the leg room in the 2nd row? Also - I am not sure I want to pay for premium fuel, especially in Chicago. What about maintenance- do you find it more expensive?

I always buy used. My wife bought a Honda Accord new before we were married and I'm still driving it. I'm looking to sell it and buy a used pickup truck now. I have a friend that gets me into the wholesale car auctions so I end up saving a lot of money that way. One thing that will save you money if you're buying used is to look at craigslist. Don't go to the dealers if you're looking for a deal.

The Pilot was one of the final runners in our search, but the Volvo (in our opinions) was heads and shoulders above.

the leg room in 2nd row is nice, 3rd row not so much.

Maintenance is above average, synthetic oil, that type of thing. I put in 87 octane. Runs like a scolded dog on it.

We both love the XC90.

We have thought about the XC90. It has been a while since I looked closely and may look at some used ones. How is the leg room in the 2nd row? Also - I am not sure I want to pay for premium fuel, especially in Chicago. What about maintenance- do you find it more expensive?
Look at consumer reports before you pull the trigger on the XC90. I looked at buying one for my wife a few years back and the maintenance records were terrible. I ended up buying her a used Acura MDX with 50k miles on it.

I always buy used. My wife bought a Honda Accord new before we were married and I'm still driving it. I'm looking to sell it and buy a used pickup truck now. I have a friend that gets me into the wholesale car auctions so I end up saving a lot of money that way. One thing that will save you money if you're buying used is to look at craigslist. Don't go to the dealers if you're looking for a deal.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried to get financing for a privately owned vehicle? How does that work?

That bad reports on the XC90 were from a model known as the T6. they quit making that version. Terrible problems with it. Transmission issues.

Latest posts

Back