Buy 12 glue stick, 45 crayons, 6 reames of paper

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I have found it funny and annoying that colleges send a “list” of stuff entering freshman need also - and maybe we can all related but at an engineering only college - OCD personality freshman - doesn’t understand when I tell him he doesn’t need a few things in this list (or they are not critical) they just want the list “checked off”

Some things I found funny on the list:

Iron / ironing board
Safe
Small vacuum cleaner?
Microwave

I mean the kid couldn’t find the vacuum cleaner in our house if I asked him to find it - but he wants to buy one for a dorm room that probably won’t get cleaned until May 2019....
The-Vong.jpg

I was glad we got our roommate assignments ahead of time at both schools I went to.  We conference called in advance so we didn't bring duplicate shit.
same. and i had the best fit for a roommate, ever! 

also, do not remember ever vacuuming my dorm room :dunno:  

They also stress renters insurance!

But the kid is freaked out we didn’t get everything on “the list” lol - I just told him to call grandma if he felt like he needed anything else once he gets there - I’ll be busy converting his bedroom to Airbnb

They also stress renters insurance!

But the kid is freaked out we didn’t get everything on “the list” lol - I just told him to call grandma if he felt like he needed anything else once he gets there - I’ll be busy converting his bedroom to Airbnb
renters for dorms? I never had renters in the dorm, but def when I got my apartment.

Everyone is latching on to make $$$ of this process... it’s like being at the county fair Ik terms of being nickeled and dimed...

Everything from renters insurance to people that want to sell you a dorm packet of sheets towels, bed linings and such.

No shit we even got a letter from people who will send custom care packages to your kid while in college - $25- “home made cookies” thanksgiving package $200. Etc.

The people are even greedier than the governments running the damn colleges...

A guy in the office is being forced to buy renters insurance to sign a lease.  I didn't think that was legal in a lease.  I'd never force my tenants to purchase insurance. 

It is legal in a lease, and I find it to be more common than not, more so for liability than any property damages.

Each May we had to go find where the vacuum was kept. There was one for each floor. Same way with a microwave and ironing board, which was only used by the kids who had rushed fraternities. 

My kid used dry erase markers for math- I can see requiring them for that, but not 16. Our teachers could teach them their, "These are fucking expensive, so put the fucking lids back on all the way!" speech. 

eldest RG JR got his own dorm room, - no roommate - he paid the extra $500 a semester for it.  I bought him the mini fridge and told him if he wanted the microwave that was on him..

I kind of believe not having a roommate will make him more of a slob and not clean up to be honest... But I wont be involved in seeing it or cleaning it so not really my problem..

on a funny note, a friend of his is going to Cornell, he has been helping her with some math placement test (or something)  all summer - Jr was like, weird I am tutoring someone who got into Cornell...

Everyone is latching on to make $$$ of this process... it’s like being at the county fair Ik terms of being nickeled and dimed...

Everything from renters insurance to people that want to sell you a dorm packet of sheets towels, bed linings and such.

No shit we even got a letter from people who will send custom care packages to your kid while in college - $25- “home made cookies” thanksgiving package $200. Etc.

The people are even greedier than the governments running the damn colleges...
the custom care package isn't that new.  They had those when I went.  The alumni group organized it, IIRC, as a fundraiser.  

"If God in his infinite wisdom did not want Marines to eat crayons, he wouldn't have made them in so many pretty colors." - Lee Ermey

Back