Buy 12 glue stick, 45 crayons, 6 reames of paper

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
**Warning Lack of Compassion in this Thread**

[SIZE=8pt]dissenters will be told to fuck off...[/SIZE]

for those of us with kids going back to school, something I cant really stand is you get this list of shit to buy for "your kids" for mine it was

24 penciles

6 packs of notebook paper

8 notebooks

4 erasers

etc,etc,etc,

4 sharpies (wtf does a second grader need with a sharpie? I have more security at my house over the sharpies than i do with my guns!)

and they have the nerve to tell you not to label the stuff the YOU bought, so they can part it out with the schmucks who dont go buy anything!!!!

Yeah Yeah teachers buy stuff with their own money for class, I'm sure there the only proffession that has to use there own money for stuff...

anyways, my wife is super pissed because I used one of the four sharpies to label every fucking thing....

thanks for listening, i do feel a little better..

Last edited by a moderator:
Screw the schmucks who don't bring in their own stuff. That is absurd. I would be angry too.

I just made labels for the kids tablets and folders last night.

Does that school have some top secret Sharpie remover that they will not share with the rest of the world?

we always had to supply 1-2 red pens or pencils for the teacher so they could grade papers with. With the 20 or so kids per class that should have lasted them all year and then some. Maybe thats what the sharpies are for?

I would have just sent what my own kid needs at the given time and labeled it like you did. A couple pencils, notebooks and a package of paper. Then replenish as needed the rest of the year...the teacher doesn't need to hold onto the looseleaf paper or extra pencils for my child. There are organizations that help out those that can't afford school supplies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you have to provide paper towels, kleenex, and toilet paper? I read a story about that the other day on CNN. Schools have had their budgets cut so much that they are asking parents/kids to supply basic paper products for the classroom. Come to think of it, I remember taking a box or two of kleenex to school when I was in grade school.

kleenex... lucky bastard, when I was in grade school we had to blow our noses on $100 bills... those things chafe!

Suppose you had only one sharpie. How would you label it?

When we were kids we had a pencil box. It was up to us how much stuff we had in our own pencil box. If the cute girl sitting next to me needed a pencil I'd give her one of mine.

Our school district has standardized the lists for the entire city. They are finally letting kids have pencil boxes again. For awhile there, they weren't allowed to have them at all for whatever reason.

We had to bring kleenex when I was in school and guaranteed at the end of the year, we still had like 30 boxes chilling in the classroom.

There were unusual items on my daughter's list last year when we sent her off to kindergarten, dry erase markers was one of them. We questioned the teacher about these items, and a lot of them were for the teaching staff due to money issues. Kleenex, paper towels, cleaning wipes, and paper plates were among some of the others.

They have a program around here where you can buy the school supplies and them just drop them in a bin for those who are less fortunate. I'm pretty socially conscience and charitable, so I thought it was great and took no issue with it. Not to mention I still like the look of a fresh box of crayons. I'd feel like a real dick if I knew I deprived a 6 year old of that experience. My stance shifted a bit, however, when I found out what a box of crayons, and other items, cost this time of year at Target, or alike I suppose. At last check, a box of 24 count crayolas is $0.25. I would imagine that you could probably fulfill most of a child's personal items on that list for under what a value meal costs at Mc. D.'s. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I would imagine that anybody can scape together 5 bucks over a 12 month period, especially for your child. Not to mention, this act performed by a struggling family would go a long way in showing the child how important their education is, and may just foster a bit more respect for it.

At any rate, I still bought the stuff and put it in the bin, but I did also wish I would have seen the family that came in on the buss, or hitched a ride with a neighbor to buy their kid some new pencils and what nots.

The sad thing is that there are parents who steadfastly REFUSE to buy school supplies for their kids because they know someone else will. These children go into the world primed for failure because they pick up the attitudes of the parents.

for 3 kids i think my bill at wal-mart was just under 300 bucks (for "back to school") to get everything on "the list"

a few years ago our "PTA" built a walking track for the teachers & I guess students to use at the school, had they not IMO wasted the money on that I wouldnt be so agitated at this, you can buy a lot of paper for what the cost of asphalt is these days...

**Warning Lack of Compassion in this Thread** [SIZE=8pt]dissenters will be told to fuck off...[/SIZE]

for those of us with kids going back to school, something I cant really stand is you get this list of shit to buy for "your kids" for mine it was

24 penciles

6 packs of notebook paper

8 notebooks

4 erasers

etc,etc,etc,

4 sharpies (wtf does a second grader need with a sharpie? I have more security at my house over the sharpies than i do with my guns!)

and they have the nerve to tell you not to label the stuff the YOU bought, so they can part it out with the schmucks who dont go buy anything!!!!
2zoermt.jpg

You can bet your bottom dollar that I would have labeled my kid's stuff as well. Like Woodslinger said, basic school supplies are cheap this time of year at wally world, so it shouldn't be too hard to get your kids the essentials. I'm not heartless, but I'm not going to buy supplies for a teacher to give out to whoever they please.

We figured our son would need basically the same supplies every year while in Elementary school, so we stocked up on supplies when they were bottom dollar. All we needed to get was a few new items this year.

But I agree with some posts here - it pisses me off to know that some parents would rather take the handout over taking some time for their own children to get them their needed supplies.

I'd feel like a real dick if I knew I deprived a 6 year old of that experience.
Just remember that it's not you that's depriving them of that experience, it's their lazy ass, good for nothing, sloth-like parents and you won't feel like a dick.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I would imagine that anybody can scape together 5 bucks over a 12 month period, especially for your child.
You're not ignorant, there's no excuse. Even if the $100 figure that RoadGuy mentioned is the number, that can easily be paid for by cancelling your freaking iPhone plan and going without a cell phone for a month.

for 3 kids i think my bill at wal-mart was just under 300 bucks (for "back to school") to get everything on "the list"
Does that include bookbags and stuff?

a few years ago our "PTA" built a walking track for the teachers & I guess students to use at the school, had they not IMO wasted the money on that I wouldnt be so agitated at this, you can buy a lot of paper for what the cost of asphalt is these days...
I'd tell the teachers to screw off and enjoy their walk. What a bunch of horse shit.

Oh, and a big "thank-you" to those families that so graciously pay several thousand dollars a year in property taxes to support this place but spend another chunk of money to send their kids to private school because this place sucks so bad.

Back