Big 12 No More?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THe other impact the talking heads haven't seemed to really touch on is how this affects all the "small" teams such as track, diving, etc. Can a small sport such as women's golf in TX afford to make the trek to OR? Is that in their budget to do so?

With the big-name schools... yes. When I was on Ohio State's rifle team, we were the smallest D1 sport there, and still had a massive budget all things considered, and that was in addition to all the free Nike crap from the endorsement deal. Hell, since I left, they even went ahead and made it a full scholarship team. Loading a team in a couple vans/coach buses is nothing for any of the schools in the power conferences. We did on occasion also have matches on "neutral locations" (usually when it was a multi-team event), so I'd imagine they could also do something similar.

I was under the impression that other sports did not have to compete in the same conference if they were not the required size. If the swim team at Mizzou is actually a D2 sized team, then why compete on the D1 level? Sure its a D1 school, but I thought there were team size requirements for the big conferences?

Also, Mizzou regents met again last night and are still "dedicated to the Big 12". They want to keep it going and make it a 10 team conference called the Big 12. There HAS to be something going on behind the scenes that we cannot see. Like Illinois and someone else going to jump from the Big 10 and join the Big 12. It makes NO sense that Mizzou would be loyal to a conference that is losing teams and has rumors that the entire Big 12 South is going to join the Pac-10. Pac-10 Commish is meeting with Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, and Ok State today to discuss options.

I thought the talk about Mizzou, Kansas, and K-State going to the Mountain West were horrible. Sure I would love to see some Mizzou/Boise games on the Big Blue, but that is a long drive for the season.

I REALLY doubt anyone from the Big 10 is going to jump ship. Why take a pay cut? Methinks Mizzou's "dedicated to the Big 12" is somewhere along the lines of "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

Mizzou is only saying they are dedicated to the Big 12 because they haven't gotten an invite to go anywhere else yet and they are hoping they don't get left out in the cold if Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, & OSU take off for another conference. Mizzou knows if they don't get an invite to the big 10 their only chance to stay in a relevant conference is to try to keep the Big 12 together.

They need to fire our president and AD because we are going to get left out of the realignment.
They need to be fired for their piss poor reasons for eliminating the men's and women's swimming programs. :madgo:

They were losing money and the almight dollar is all that matters now.
Swimming and diving teams never make money. Never have and never will. But we sure as hell bring the athletic department GPAs up. Unfortunately, brains take a back seat to the sports that only serve to be the staging pad for professional sports and revenue with NO CARE (virtually) for prepping the athletes with job readiness for the majority who don't make the big time.

I was under the impression that other sports did not have to compete in the same conference if they were not the required size. If the swim team at Mizzou is actually a D2 sized team, then why compete on the D1 level? Sure its a D1 school, but I thought there were team size requirements for the big conferences?
At LSU, we always swam schools outside our conference and division. Every year or two we would swim against Western Kentucky, Colorado School of Mines, FIU, Florida A&M, Delta State, etc... They all did the same thing, too. To my knowledge, there are no size requirements. If you're in the SEC, your records reflect SEC in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the Big 10 is 12, and the Big 12 is 10...or something like that -

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The Big 12 Conference, which has lost Nebraska and Colorado within the past week, is close to moving forward with its 10 remaining schools, The Associated Press has learned.
A person with direct knowledge of discussions among the Big 12's remaining members said the University of Texas would be clear to set up its own TV network and keep all proceeds in exchange for remaining in the Big 12. The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because nothing has been finalized, stopped short of flatly predicting the league would survive, adding that details were still being worked out.

"Something could still happen," the person said Monday afternoon.

The fate of the conference born in 1996 when the Big 8 merged with four members of the Southwest Conference has been at risk for days, and Texas emerged as the key to the Big 12's survival when Nebraska (Big Ten) and Colorado (Pac-10) decided to leave over the next two years. The Pac-10 has courted Texas and other Big 12 South Division schools, while Texas A&M reportedly expressed interest in going to the Southeastern Conference barring a better offer.

Both Texas and Texas A&M are now leaning toward staying in the Big 12, the person told the AP.

"Everybody is feeling much more confident the Big 12 is going to survive," the person said. "Everybody's going to be making more money."

Big 12 officials have told member schools that the loss of the Denver television market and Nebraska would not weaken the league's negotiating position with TV networks as much as feared, the person said.

Texas, the biggest and most lucrative of the Big 12 members, has been the pied piper in the league discussions, with other schools seemingly ready to line up behind the Longhorns once the school decides where it wants its cash cow football program to compete.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe has reportedly told his remaining members that new television deals with a 10-team league would give league revenues a huge boost. Beebe did not return messages seeking comment Monday.

Texas A&M has represented another wild card, with school officials meeting with Pac-10 and SEC officials in recent days. If the Aggies are serious about leaving for the SEC, no matter what Texas and the others decide, would that prompt the Longhorns, Sooners and the rest to decide the Big 12 is not worth saving with only nine members?

Texas A&M regent Gene Stallings said Monday he wants the Big 12 to survive and would vote to keep the Aggies in the league if they don't get a much better offer. Stallings told The Associated Press that keeping the Big 12 together "would tickle me to death."

Stallings coached Alabama to a football national championship in 1992. He has said that if Texas A&M does move, he'd rather see the Aggies go to the SEC than the Pac-10, but his comments Monday suggested that would be a last resort.

Regents at Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State have scheduled meetings Tuesday and Wednesday to discuss conference allegiances. Stallings says he expects Texas A&M regents to meet later this week.

The Kansas Board of Regents on Monday lobbied its counterparts in Texas and Oklahoma to keep the Big 12 alive, sending a letter that said a 10-member league would be "extremely viable."

And the PAC-10 is 11.

They basically told TX that by staying in the Big 12, they'll make more money by promising them their own "Longhorn TV" channel in the next few years.

And the PAC-10 is 11.

They basically told TX that by staying in the Big 12, they'll make more money by promising them their own "Longhorn TV" channel in the next few years.
I'm absolutely amazed that TX was able to hold it together. I wonder how stable the new Big 128 is going to be. TX was already more equal than others.

And the PAC-10 is 11.

I'm absolutely amazed that TX was able to hold it together. I wonder how stable the new Big 128 is going to be. TX was already more equal than others.
Not stable at all.

The new TV deal looks to be lopsided to TX - which is fine, they are making their own demands because they are big enough to do it. They would much prefer to be in this situation than the PAC 10 where they wouldn't have as much say, that was just a power play on their part to call the Big 10's and the other schools that wanted away from Texas' bluff... (Mizzou and aTm).

So, here we are, I don't know what is good about this at all, but it's amazing to me what happens when people start talking money in college athletics.

I think Nebraska ended up with a sweet deal - they get to join a stable / very lucrative (both athletics and academics) conference, while getting away from UT.

Wonder if the Big 12 stays at 10 and holds together, if this stops "expansion" for a few more years...

Big 10 got a good deal out of it. They got their 12th school in, one with a storied football program, and one which won't lower the Big 10's academic caliber (too much). Texas gets a push - they were already taking the lion's share of Big 12 revenue anyways, although now their conference is easier to dominate - Pac 10 really are the losers here...they get Colorado (not really big in athletics or academics - sorry) and now they got 11 teams - so much for their conference championship games.

Utah has signed on with the PAC-10.

e100611_Plantepg-vertical.jpg

Jerry Jones and maybe T. Boone are coming up with a business plan to pull Arkansas and Notre Dame into the Big 12. That would be huge for the Big 12.
Good luck with that one... Maybe they can convince Alabama and Tennessee to come along as well.

[/sarcasm]

I think there is a lot of drama still to go. Will the Pac-Whatever sweeten the deal; for UT and OU? Maybe the SEC will? Why would the "Big-10" take in a power program from Nebraksa that could dominate the conference? It will get more enteresting as the days pass. Remember, it is always about the money....

And yes, I am drinking tonight.....

I think there is a lot of drama still to go. Will the Pac-Whatever sweeten the deal; for UT and OU? Maybe the SEC will? Why would the "Big-10" take in a power program from Nebraksa that could dominate the conference? It will get more enteresting as the days pass. Remember, it is always about the money....
1) Gives the big name schools more "quality" wins without having to rely on non-conference games.

2) Nebraska is going to dominate Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin?

1) Gives the big name schools more "quality" wins without having to rely on non-conference games.

2) Nebraska is going to dominate Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin?

That's what people said about Penn State 20 years ago when they joined the conference, that they would dominate and it would be the end of the days where the OSU-UM game determined the BIG 10 champ. Well in that time PSU has won or shared all of 3 Big 10 titles. So much for that theory.

My Nittany Lions are just getting geared up. I will enjoy watching them whip Nebraska's ass on a regular basis. :D

heh. i imagine Rich Rod will be outta here by time 'huskers are playing in Big 10 (yet another team for him to SUCK against!)

heh. i imagine Rich Rod will be outta here by time 'huskers are playing in Big 10 (yet another team for him to SUCK against!)
It is going to take time for Nebraska to build back up to a quality team. They were dominate in the Big 8 due to recruiting TX, but not having to play against TX. Now they won't be playing down south close to TX, so it will be hard for them to recruit TX.

Back