Big 12 No More?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF Nebraska stays the Big 12 still survives. Man if you are one of the smaller Big12 schools don't you wish you had been nicer to the Huskers?

I think Nebraska is gone though, no real reason to stay based on Texas promising you that they won't screw you again on the TV money.

The Texas Schools will be the last to leave but really what else can they do? Start their own league? Unlikely at this stage you need at least 2-4 marque programs for a super league. And Oklahoma and Texas just isn't enough.

Latest rumor I read -- Texas and A&M go to the Big 10, and OK goes to the SEC.

I couldn't write a better consipiracy theory.

Our (Clemson's) dumbass president is on the ACC task force to evaluate expansion. They're a day late and about $100 million dollars short. They need to fire our president and AD because we are going to get left out of the realignment. Any school that gets left out of what will be the 4 power conferences, can kiss their athletics goodbye for the next 50 years.

I'm interested to see how this affects scheduling, and the smaller D-1 schools that are competitive. We're gonna see less Cinderella stories; these powerhouses are going to have less room to schedule good out-of-conference games when they play in these new 12- and 16-team conferences. I'd imagine that they would split them up into sub-conferences, but who knows? Even Notre Dame could lose some big games, especially if a team like USC is playing in the PAC-16.

so USC loses bowl eligibility over something that none of the current staff or players were involved in, yet ncaa punichses the current folks..

I am in no way a USC fan but I disagree with how the ncaa handles these types of situations, they need to go after the boosters, players, even maybe make the players involved suspended for x# of games if they are in the NFL...

so USC loses bowl eligibility over something that none of the current staff or players were involved in, yet ncaa punichses the current folks..
I am in no way a USC fan but I disagree with how the ncaa handles these types of situations, they need to go after the boosters, players, even maybe make the players involved suspended for x# of games if they are in the NFL...
I agree and disagree. It sucks that the student athletes that were not involved will be punished now. From what I've heard all upperclassmen athletes at USC will be allowed to transfer if they wish without having to be subject to the usually 1 year loss of eligibility. Underclassmen are stuck if they don't want to lose eligibility. Should the players that were responsible for having these sanctions leveled against USC be punished? Yes. But how are you going to do that? They are no longer subject to the rules of the NCAA, so what can the NCAA do to punish them? Nothing. Hopefully Bush will lose his Heisman, but who cares about that now?

I think punishments like this are more to do with punishing the school and the administration. The schools reputation takes a hit and their pocketbook takes a hit. The two year post season ban and loss of scholorships will hurt the teams performance on the field. Which will hurt fan support. Which will hurt ticket sales, tv revenue and donations to the school. The school administrators don't want that. The school administrators are the ones that hire the coaches. The coaches recruit the players. If you don't want to find your school in a situation like this the school administrators need to be on top of the coaches to recruit players who are less likely to put the school in a precarious situation and the coaches/administrators need to monitor the players to be sure that they are doing everything on the up and up.

USC was punished for "a lack of institutional control" which means they knew about what was going on with Bush and Mayo and chose to ignore it or they weren't doing their jobs and were completely oblivious to the whole thing. The real slimeball in all of this to me is Pete Carroll. He knew what was coming so he bolted while the getting was good. The funny thing is that Lane Kiffen walked into a total clusterfuck. Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow. ;)

I agree and disagree. It sucks that the student athletes that were not involved will be punished now. From what I've heard all upperclassmen athletes at USC will be allowed to transfer if they wish without having to be subject to the usually 1 year loss of eligibility. Underclassmen are stuck if they don't want to lose eligibility. Should the players that were responsible for having these sanctions leveled against USC be punished? Yes. But how are you going to do that? They are no longer subject to the rules of the NCAA, so what can the NCAA do to punish them? Nothing. Hopefully Bush will lose his Heisman, but who cares about that now?

I think punishments like this are more to do with punishing the school and the administration. The schools reputation takes a hit and their pocketbook takes a hit. The two year post season ban and loss of scholorships will hurt the teams performance on the field. Which will hurt fan support. Which will hurt ticket sales, tv revenue and donations to the school. The school administrators don't want that. The school administrators are the ones that hire the coaches. The coaches recruit the players. If you don't want to find your school in a situation like this the school administrators need to be on top of the coaches to recruit players who are less likely to put the school in a precarious situation and the coaches/administrators need to monitor the players to be sure that they are doing everything on the up and up.

USC was punished for "a lack of institutional control" which means they knew about what was going on with Bush and Mayo and chose to ignore it or they weren't doing their jobs and were completely oblivious to the whole thing. The real slimeball in all of this to me is Pete Carroll. He knew what was coming so he bolted while the getting was good. The funny thing is that Lane Kiffen walked into a total clusterfuck. Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow. ;)
Does their pocket book really take a hit? They made many many millions during the period in question. While certainly they will take a hit during the next few years, my guess is the gains far out weigh the losses. In two years, things will be back to normal and the money will continue to roll in.

If the NCAA/Universities really wanted to crack down, they will start levying high dollar fines against schools. Imagine if USC would have to forfeit all gate receipts and TV revenue for the games in question? If school's cared, they would put clawback provisions in coaches contract. Would Carroll allowed this to go on if he knew he might be returning millions to the school? Unfortunately there is too much money involved for folks to act rationally. Everybody turns a blind eye to this kind of stuff then act appalled when someone gets caught.

Mountain West or WAC may pick up some of the Big12 remnants...Boise St may finally get their wish to play more bigtime football, or at least those conferences won't be quite as pathetic
Ouch.

You know, sometimes you need crappy conferences for crappy schools to keep their crappy athletic departments so there are bowl games for the rest of us to go to!

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the Big 12 schools are anywhere close to the Pacific Ocean. I think if the Pac-10 ends up getting all of the schools they are going after, they need to completely change their name instead of just the number (i.e. Pac-16). I suggest Cornfed Hippie Conference. That embodies both the west coast hippie movement and the Great Plains reputation for growing abnormally large humans.

If the Pac10 goes to 16. I suggest the conference is renamed the PowerPac.

Although if they end up at 12 teams I want it to be the 12-Pac.

If the Pac10 goes to 16. I suggest the conference is renamed the PowerPac.
Although if they end up at 12 teams I want it to be the 12-Pac.

The PowerPac is a leftist PrObama NPO based out of California...

Welcome, Nebraska, to the new Big 10 (12)!

from SI on Big 12 meltdown:

With the Big 12 on the verge of implosion, other conferences are circling. The Mountain West, after delaying a decision last week on whether to add Boise State, changed course and decided to add the Broncos on Friday. If nothing else, the addition of Boise State strengthens the Mountain West's effort to qualify for an automatic qualifying berth in the BCS for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. "As the week progressed and dominoes started falling, the feeling was, hey, let's get better," Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson told SI.com on Friday.
But Thompson added that the Mountain West may not stand pat. If five more schools do leave the Big 12, Thompson said his league would consider adding some of the leftovers -- Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri could be left in the league -- or even potentially merging with the Big 12. "That could be a possibility," Thompson said. "Everything is on the table right now." Thompson said some schools have approached the Mountain West. "Phones work both ways," he said. "I've had several phone calls from institutions in the past 24 hours."

Other conferences also are circling the Big 12. In a note to fans posted on the East Carolina athletic department Web site, athletic director Terry Holland said Conference USA also intends to make a play for the schools left behind in the Big 12. "Conference USA ," Holland wrote, "is rapidly preparing to compete for the remaining Big 12 members if the meltdown continues to a full implosion."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...p#ixzz0qbUFQA7g

It wouldn't be a horrible thing for the Big East to pick up Missouri and Kansas from the rubble. But I don't think it will happen.

I'm actually surprised that the Big 10 didn't end up with more out of this deal. Just picking up Nebraska seems like a loss for them considering what the Pac 10 is getting out of the deal.

Anyhow, call me crazy, but I still think the Big 10 is going after Texas. There's a whole lot going on behind the scenes.
I agree fully. All isn't decided yet.

I'm actually surprised that the Big 10 didn't end up with more out of this deal. Just picking up Nebraska seems like a loss for them considering what the Pac 10 is getting out of the deal.
see quote above, if this is all Big10 gets, I agree with you. But I think this thing is far from finished.

THe other impact the talking heads haven't seemed to really touch on is how this affects all the "small" teams such as track, diving, etc. Can a small sport such as women's golf in TX afford to make the trek to OR? Is that in their budget to do so?

When they discuss the big money teams like basketball and football - it's not as tough because they are chartering flights...but when you're in a 15 passenger bus for 20+ hours for a one day event...it's a lot tougher to justify these conference moves over huge distances.

Nebraska makes sense for the Big-10, even logisitically...as it's all still a days drive away (although Penn-State to Nebraska will be a helluva drive), but it's generally a feasible option. With some of the other choices....it just doesn't make as much sense!

Back