Best Cell Phone

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got AT&T wireless which is very solid around here, I've never had an issue with it. I'm on about my third Nokia bar (as opposed to flip) phone and they've always held up well. I've got the 2600 right now, which is basically the newer version of the last one I had.

Do any Verizon people know if I can get a smartphone without having to sign up for the "Smartphone Plan"? I just want to use it as a phone but also sync it to my computer so I can start keeping my schedule up to date now that I am travelling a lot more for work. I may see about getting a Samsung Saga (this is one does wifi so I could use it to go online without paying for a more expensive plan as long as there's wifi available) online somewhere and just using the *228 to program it to my number but I don't want my next bill to show up with a note saying my account has been switched because I now have a smartphone.
I dunno, but if it is an incompatable setup the phone wont work, regardless of the package type...no automatic changes will be made...you have to call or go into the store.

I have a blackberry pearl flip and I love it. It looks and feels like a normal phone, but has all of the convenience of a smart phone. I've had T-mobile for awhile and we have a great family plan that I can't get anywhere else. Yes, the iphone looks cool, but I'm an avid hater of all things made by Apple, so I'm resisting it as long as I can. Maybe when other carriers are offering the iPhone, I'll go to the darkside, but it will be at least a year before I can get another phone.

In answer to jeb's question, I know for T-mobile, they require a data plan in order to qualify for the phone rebate. Maybe if you can find a cheap phone that isn't part of a contract/rebate program, you might not have to get the data plan.

I got Samsung SCHi760 (edit - w/ Verizon). I like having the smart phone & pda capabilities. Being able to surf 'net or email from phone is nice, as is syncing outlook calendar w/ PC. Windows Mobile works well enough for my needs. I use it more for the pda features than as an actual phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Luddite. I just got a Tracfone for my b-day this May. Double minutes for life. WooHoo!

Perfect for me, though.

I just have the 5-6 yr old Nokia phone that cost me $10 when we got the plan.... still have the same plan with US Cellular... no one can beat the deal we have, at least when we've looked into changing plans/etc... I bought a Tracphone, but I haven't activated it yet... my wife has one, and loves it... I just need a phone that I can use to call home to see if I need to pick something up on the way home....

I have a motorola ZN5 which has a built in 5 megapixel camera with xenon flash that was designed by Kodak. It is awesome for work because I do construction inspection and site visits and I always have a quality camera handy. Also I can either upload them when I get back to the office or in some cases I have actually directly emailed them to people using a picture message (I don't have an internet plan but I do have unlimited text and multimedia messages for $4.99 a month).

My wife has a blackberry curve and loves it even without a data plan. The t-mobile versions of the curve have wifi capabilities and she is rarely away from wifi so it works out good.

Back