Average Age to take FE/PE/SE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 17762

Just saw this graphic in the NCEES 2019 squared report and I thought that it was interesting. Over the last 4-5 years people are waiting slightly longer to take the FE exam and are taking the PE exam slightly earlier than before. Any ideas on why this is? For the PE exam possibly states relaxing laws on when you are able to take the PE exam? Also it looks like average age to take the SE exam is about 36. Anyone willing to volunteer their age? I will be 30 at this October's test.
My understanding is that when you present your experience on your PE application, it all has to be as an EIT.  So waiting to take you FE can result in a severe delay in obtaining your PE.

Gone are the days of taking both the FE and PE exams on the same weekend.

My understanding is that when you present your experience on your PE application, it all has to be as an EIT.  So waiting to take you FE can result in a severe delay in obtaining your PE.
I believe each state has different rules on this. Some states are even allowing people to sit for the PE Exam fresh out of school. They still have to get the experience required before becoming licensed but they can have the exam part done well before licensure.

FE - 22

PE - 27 

SE -54

Basically lived an entire second life between the PE and SE.

FE - 25

PE - 30 (CA Seismic & Surveying + NCEES)

SE - 33 (Pending on results in a week or so)...

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 17762

Just saw this graphic in the NCEES 2019 squared report and I thought that it was interesting. Over the last 4-5 years people are waiting slightly longer to take the FE exam and are taking the PE exam slightly earlier than before. Any ideas on why this is? For the PE exam possibly states relaxing laws on when you are able to take the PE exam? Also it looks like average age to take the SE exam is about 36. Anyone willing to volunteer their age? I will be 30 at this October's test.
We continuously monitor all of the state requirements at PDHNow and we have not seen any relaxing of laws or eligibility requirements. This is an interesting trend, thank you for sharing.

FE - 22

PE - 24

CA Seis+Survey - 25

SE - Sitting for the first time at age 27. Don’t know what age I’ll be when/if I pass

EIT-20
PE-23
CA PE-24

Doesn't really matter for getting my PE at work since I am not a manager but it is nice to get it out of the way

Wow I think @Route420PE and @popskiller broke the record so far on this forum getting their PE at 23.
I was confused at first but the question is phrased to ask about taking the exams, not getting licensed...looks like more and more people are taking the exams right out of school. Good for them! I took mine about a year and a half out of school and tell all the young engineers I talk to that they should take it as early as possible

Back