Average Age to take FE/PE/SE

Help Support Engineer Boards:

djl PE

Reaction score
Interesting, I see quite a few posts saying FE was failed during the senior year. I don’t understand why so many attempt it almost without any studying in the busiest time of their studying life.
My hands were so full (job, family, senior design) that I didn’t even think to take FE then. Instead, I’ve studied after senior design for a couple months and passed FE without any issues.
But I guess it helps with a job search after graduation.
My university required us to take it before graduation! I chose effort toward senior design rather than FE....

Be-n

Reaction score
FE- 21
SE - 25

Not sure if I'll take the PE someday
Wow, this is the first time I hear someone skipped PE exam and passed SE!

why would you need to take a PE exam? States without SE licenses usually still give you a PE license based on SE exam result.

ruggercsc

I was once fast and scrappy, then lost my s's
EB Supporter
Reaction score
FE - 23 (Just after graduation)
PE - 50 (I thought I would be the oldest Exam Taker, but was not)

mmarlow123

Reaction score
Wow, this is the first time I hear someone skipped PE exam and passed SE!

why would you need to take a PE exam? States without SE licenses usually still give you a PE license based on SE exam result.
I occasionally do some work that is civil in nature, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to stamp the drawings if I've only taken the structural exam

LEEDengineer

Reaction score
My school required you to take the FE at least one full semester prior to graduation. I was a December grad so I ended up taking it 3 semesters before graduation.
FE at 21.
PE at 31.

organix

Reaction score
Interesting, I see quite a few posts saying FE was failed during the senior year. I don’t understand why so many attempt it almost without any studying in the busiest time of their studying life.
My hands were so full (job, family, senior design) that I didn’t even think to take FE then. Instead, I’ve studied after senior design for a couple months and passed FE without any issues.
But I guess it helps with a job search after graduation.
My undergrad also made it a requirement that we attempt the test to graduate. Luckily I passed and it made life easier.

Reaction score
My undergrad also made it a requirement that we attempt the test to graduate. Luckily I passed and it made life easier.

We were not required to take the FE exam, but our student ASCE chapter encouraged it for graduating seniors. When I took the FE, it fell on the Saturday smack in the middle of final exams. I recall a couple of my peers complaining to one professor, "How are we suppose to study for the final when many of us are taking the FE exam on Saturday?"

To which the professor replied, "I'd be a lot more worried about my final exam than the FE." He was correct.

Last edited: