April Exams are CANCELED

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed... it's a real downer.  The truly amazing part is that they haven't converted the test to electronic testing yet.  The technology existed over 15 years ago yet there are still these paper and pencil exams.  It's insane.  My wife is a CPA and had to take like 4 (qty), 5-hour exams, likely harder than the PE exam, she completed that over 10 years ago at a local testing agency, computer based.  Also consider that they chose to convert the Civil PE last... the biggest group of testers each year.  Makes me wonder if they were motivated in some other way to delay the conversion.  I wonder if NCEES gets more cash with paper and pencil rather than paying another third party test administration company...?  

Agreed... it's a real downer.  The truly amazing part is that they haven't converted the test to electronic testing yet.  The technology existed over 15 years ago yet there are still these paper and pencil exams.  It's insane.  My wife is a CPA and had to take like 4 (qty), 5-hour exams, likely harder than the PE exam, she completed that over 10 years ago at a local testing agency, computer based.  Also consider that they chose to convert the Civil PE last... the biggest group of testers each year.  Makes me wonder if they were motivated in some other way to delay the conversion.  I wonder if NCEES gets more cash with paper and pencil rather than paying another third party test administration company...?  
I would think they want to start small, like a pilot. That way if something goes wrong they don't affect many test takers. If they screwed up the Civil exam administration, that would be HUGE. Civils are the most test takers and rely on their license the most of any group.

Also they have announced the CBT conversion for a long time, but they moved slowly. I assume this is to allow test takers, course creators, book publishers, and state boards time to adjust. There are a lot of moving parts to PE licensure. In every other situation we would be applauding them for moving slowly and deliberately. But in this case, now it's a burden on everyone. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration. But I don't want to criticize NCEES unnecessarily. This situation isn't their fault. They are handling it as well as possible.

The 3rd party test method doesn't all have to be CBT.  There is no reason that a 3rd party testing agency couldn't administer paper and pencil exams for part or sections of the exam.  The risk of cheating is not greater.  If they are trusting the agency to administer the exam as a CBT then they should be able to trust them with paper and pencil.  In this day and age of scanning and digital imaging it isn't a matter of technology.  Sure paper and pencil exam scores would not be immediate for the SE if there are written problems that need to be sent back to NCEES for review.  There is not doubt that they cannot make a mistake in this transition, I get it, there is a safety concern/risk with issuing licenses to unqualified testers.  Most other industries have converted to more efficient testing methods more than 10 years ago, some of which are also enabling licensees to perform very safety/risk focused professions.  Considering that NCEES are engineers, I would think we should be leading the industry technology, not falling behind or last.

This is from wikipedia regarding how architects are licensed.... computer based testing started in 1997:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architect_Registration_Examination

"In the late 1980s, as the practice of architecture moved into the computer age, NCARB began to develop a computer-based exam. After a decade of research and development, the last paper-and-pencil test was issued in 1996, and the computer-based exam rolled out in 1997."

Not a good situation. Now it is not known when we will join the exam. But this has one plus - we have more time to prepare, but I found work on the Internet for the quarantine period, it takes a lot of my time, but I hope top essay writing service will help with the preparation for the exams. For example, a story, an essay on which I never liked to write.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not possible, not everyone would be able to agree on postponement date. It'd wouldn't be fair to those who had paid for an agreed upon date. Only option they had was October. Stop complaining and start social distancing like a responsible adult. 
According to your explanation, it wouldn't be fair either to wait until next October for those who had paid for an agreed upon date in April..... 

May be you are tempted to respond too quickly without reading carefully first and that's not good for an engineer.... so I'll try to explain this better for you.

I think we all want to follow precautions here and act responsibly by using social distancing and act responsibly.

There are countries that have been locked down for several weeks and by implementing social precautions and safety measures to contain spread out of the virus, they were able to return to a normal life and restart the country economy. We might find the same situation in October and the exam might be cancelled again. You don't have to stop professional exams, shut down construction sites and stop driven industries of a country to fight the virus.

You just need to use precautions and good common sense including social distancing, among others. 3 months are more than sufficient to reorganize an exam in different places and fit people by respecting social distances. This would allow a social distance bigger, safer and more responsible than the distance you use at the supermarket on a daily basis most likely.

If multi-day would allow for a collusion issue, so let's do multi-places....I guess NCEES has enough means to be able to organize in the same day 5 or 10 indoor spaces coordinated to each other in the new york metro area...This would allow much lower density of people in the gyms rather than usual, therefore being able to respect social distances and all other precautions...

Again, this is a very serious matter in every professional's life and cannot be jeopardized if there are ways that allow possible solutions. Besides the exam, it works the same for other important activities. There might be other influenza in the next future and we should always have a plan B to face these unforeseen pandemics instead of shut down the entire country. 

If multi-day would allow for a collusion issue, so let's do multi-places....I guess NCEES has enough means to be able to organize in the same day 5 or 10 indoor spaces coordinated to each other in the new york metro area...This would allow much lower density of people in the gyms rather than usual, therefore being able to respect social distances and all other precautions...

Again, this is a very serious matter in every professional's life and cannot be jeopardized if there are ways that allow possible solutions. Besides the exam, it works the same for other important activities. There might be other influenza in the next future and we should always have a plan B to face these unforeseen pandemics instead of shut down the entire country. 

According to your explanation, it wouldn't be fair either to wait until next October for those who had paid for an agreed upon date in April..... 

May be you are tempted to respond too quickly without reading carefully first and that's not good for an engineer.... so I'll try to explain this better for you.

I think we all want to follow precautions here and act responsibly by using social distancing and act responsibly.

There are countries that have been locked down for several weeks and by implementing social precautions and safety measures to contain spread out of the virus, they were able to return to a normal life and restart the country economy. We might find the same situation in October and the exam might be cancelled again. You don't have to stop professional exams, shut down construction sites and stop driven industries of a country to fight the virus.

You just need to use precautions and good common sense including social distancing, among others. 3 months are more than sufficient to reorganize an exam in different places and fit people by respecting social distances. This would allow a social distance bigger, safer and more responsible than the distance you use at the supermarket on a daily basis most likely.

Again, this is a very serious matter in every professional's life and cannot be jeopardized if there are ways that allow possible solutions. Besides the eam, it works the same for other important activities. There might be other influenza in the next future and we should always have a plan B to face these unforeseen pandemics instead of shut down the entire country. 
Short sighted on both solutions. 1. For the postponement, how would you get thousands of people to agree on a postponement date? The October exam date has been set for awhile so it's an easier pill for folks to swallow if they have to take exam that day given it's a pre-determined date set routinely by NCEES. Plus, if you fail the exam that is most likely the date you'd next take the exam anyways. 

2. How would NCEES have enough proctors to oversee exam if the sites were spread out to allow for social distancing? Makes no sense. 

Again, just be glad you have your health and allow others to have their health by being a responsible human and social distancing until it is proven we are well over the curve. The test isn't going anywhere; it'll be waiting for you once society opens back up again. Most important oath as an engineer is to protect life and safety of society. Here is your chance to have a maximum impact. 

Hmm, interesting! It is good for me and for those who were not ready at all. I was going to buy the academic paper. I chose the one but decided to know more info about it. The review here about service BoomEssays does not recommend using it. Yes they claim a lot, but on practice did not keep the promise. There’s no verification of whether the site is legit. That is why I like to look for more info about companies, you could know many useful mentions and comments about any subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
You say it all, and well represent the professional engineer community, @StandardPractice

Short sighted on both solutions. 1. For the postponement, how would you get thousands of people to agree on a postponement date? The October exam date has been set for awhile so it's an easier pill for folks to swallow if they have to take exam that day given it's a pre-determined date set routinely by NCEES. Plus, if you fail the exam that is most likely the date you'd next take the exam anyways. 

2. How would NCEES have enough proctors to oversee exam if the sites were spread out to allow for social distancing? Makes no sense. 

Again, just be glad you have your health and allow others to have their health by being a responsible human and social distancing until it is proven we are well over the curve. The test isn't going anywhere; it'll be waiting for you once society opens back up again. Most important oath as an engineer is to protect life and safety of society. Here is your chance to have a maximum impact. 

You need to respond to each of the two separate discussion topics by Wednesday the latest. And, including Wednesday, you need to respond to each of the 2 discussion threads on 3 different days. For example, you could come in as late as Wednesday and respond to topic one and two.[SIZE=11pt]<a href="https://www.devrycourses.com/" > [/SIZE]ACCT 304 WEEK 1 DISCUSSIONS LATEST[SIZE=11pt]</a>[/SIZE]

You need to respond to each of the two separate discussion topics by Wednesday the latest. And, including Wednesday, you need to respond to each of the 2 discussion threads on 3 different days. For example, you could come in as late as Wednesday and respond to topic one and two.[SIZE=11pt]<a href="https://www.devrycourses.com/" > [/SIZE]ACCT 304 WEEK 1 DISCUSSIONS LATEST[SIZE=11pt]</a>[/SIZE]

Back