April 2021 15k Spam Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
definitely considering renting, but i gotta deal with with plus size nonsense, so i know alterations would need to happen. I'm hoping that I can find something on resale through fb marketplace.

Pants are a nightmare that's why I wear leggings and dresses 95% of the time
I have a dress. Only used once, then shoved in a bag. I should take it out and look at it.

Why are weddings so expensive? Why am I so bad at staying on budget? I am dreading dress shopping. I don't want to pay for invitations and save the dates.
conspamulations!

best advice i ever got, just remember it's a big party. only invite the people you want to spend this one day with. screw everything else.

my advice: pick the one or two things you want to splurge on. everything else can be basic. no one will remember the small details - trust me. budget wise, only plan for what you can live with a month later or a year later. it's not worth it to go into your marriage financially stressed.

Current grievances per @MeowMeow 's post:

-Project management. Just project management.
-I'm tired and I don't want to do anythinggggggggggggggg
-My (male) project manager keeps interrupting the (female) client in this meeting
-I need to sell a kidney for my rental car expenses for my trips in June/July

definitely considering renting, but i gotta deal with with plus size nonsense, so i know alterations would need to happen. I'm hoping that I can find something on resale through fb marketplace.

Pants are a nightmare that's why I wear leggings and dresses 95% of the time
Eeee exciting that you're planning your wedding. If there's one thing I'd change, it's the dress. I really cheaped out on the dress, which was fine, but I ended up spending more money on alterations than the actual dress.

This may not be an option at your venue...but we saved a lot of money by just hiring a bartender to come, and we bought all our booze at costco. We had like 4 different kinds of beer, 4 kinds of boxed wine - 2 red and 2 white (Bota Box is da shizzz), and we did 4 cocktails (one delicious vodka drink the bartender made up for us with strawberries and some other stuff - I named it Drunk in Love, Horsefeather, some Gin drink, and something else I can't remember)...The drinks were free for our guests but I put a bowl out so people could tip her and I think she made a killing. And it was only like $250 to pay her to come for the night. And I think we spent maybe like $1,000 on booze. We had around 120 people.

Also, I bought a template on Etsy for invitation (did not do save the date), and then printed them on cardstock at FedEx. Bought nice envelopes online on envelopes.com. I also did RSVP with little envelopes that were already stamped so they could mail back. But you could have them RSVP on some kind of online thing to save money!
Luckily our venue allows us to BYOB, so we're definitely going to go to costco for our booze! And we're going to do RSVPs online as well, which will save us money and let us track RSVPs easier than cards. Basically at this point in my budget I need to save money wherever I can, which is NOT fun. Luckily I have 14 months to figure it all out and make it happen

@beccabun PE Also expect at least 5 people who wait to cancel until after you have already provided your caterer the final headcount :mad:
or don't show up. i got married 8 years ago. i invited 70 people. 3 people didn't show up. i will never forget.

(one had a really good excuse). the other two... i will always remember. always.

@beccabun PE Also expect at least 5 people who wait to cancel until after you have already provided your caterer the final headcount :mad:
I've already started forming our second back up list of people who live 15 minutes away and could potentially have a saturday free. Not to be confused with our first back up list of local-ish people to invite when our family members don't want to travel.
conspamulations!

best advice i ever got, just remember it's a big party. only invite the people you want to spend this one day with. screw everything else.

my advice: pick the one or two things you want to splurge on. everything else can be basic. no one will remember the small details - trust me. budget wise, only plan for what you can live with a month later or a year later. it's not worth it to go into your marriage financially stressed.
We definitely splurged on our venue and photographer... which are the only two things we've booked so far..... I think we should be good to stay on budget or go under on everything else, I just need to be anxious about everything all the time always.

We definitely splurged on our venue and photographer... which are the only two things we've booked so far..... I think we should be good to stay on budget or go under on everything else, I just need to be anxious about everything all the time always.
omg me too! my hair is constantly on fire. lol

omg me too! my hair is constantly on fire. lol
I'm also hoping that if I can be anxious about the wedding for the next 14 months, then maybe by the actual wedding, I'll be hella cool and chill and not anxious.
crowd-laughing.gif

Oh no, that's awful! I'm sorry that happened and I hope it wasn't too awkward. :(
We did a pretty big wedding... less than 200 people, but not much less, fully catered, open bar at the botanical gardens. (we took out a loan for our wedding). So it wasn't a huge deal, just had to listen to the caterer fuss for a moment and increase our bill slightly.

Our wedding was awesome, but took years to pay off. Don't be like me. :)

Last edited:
Here is the rundown of the last minute cancellations:

-2 family members with very legit excuses.
-My aunt's two kids and husband, realizing that there was a soccer tryout on the day of my wedding (I got married on a weekday). I was super annoyed at having to pay for three extra plates with the late notification, but whatever. No hard feelings, it happens.
-Friend was going through a divorce and spouse decided not to attend. I get it. But that marriage was also over long before my wedding and the spouse wasn't really close to either me or my husband, so that person COULD HAVE MADE THAT DECISION EARLIER IS WHAT I'M SAYING.
-At least one or two people saying they would show up with plus ones and neither attended. Like @civilrobot said, these are the ones I do not forget.

What mattered is that the people who were really important to us, our core group, was there. Since we didn't leave for our honeymoon until about a week later, we invited a bunch of our friends to our house the day after the wedding and used the extra food for the party. It was a lot of fun. There was no way to use up ALL the extra food, but we gave it a good college try :)

@beccabun PE I can relate! I constantly have to be worried about something.

To be honest, the most stressful part of the wedding day (for me) was just forking over allll my money to the vendors for final payments and tips. The logistics can be a headache too, but if you get a good planner (which we did), it's not too bad.

But be ready to have the biggest decision fatigue of your life by your wedding day. I remember being broken when we had to select napkin colors. I DID NOT CARE WHAT SHADE OF GREEN THEY WERE. My planner could have used paper towels for all I cared at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back