April 2021 15k Spam Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely not a small wedding, I unfortunately am a sucker for attention, so it's going to be about 125 people. I think I just need to research more and find someone who is high quality but also not an insane amount of money
In my family, 125 is small. But, I mean, just my hubs immediate family was 20 people (parents, siblings, spouses, kids). And his mom has 12 siblings, his dad 11, my mom has 15, and my dad has 5. So I think we sent out like 150 invitations, and the initial guest list was around 500. We had about 220 actually come.

I don't know, it's really hard for me to put a price tag on a day of attention directed fully at me
Definitely get the day of coordinator! If you’re like me, you don’t want to be burdened with all the logistics, and/or will feel guilty for having a friend or family member do it. That is money well spent, in my opinion. The one wedding I went to that didn’t have one was fun, but kind of a mess. The groom himself was telling everyone what table’s turn it was for the buffet. Maybe I’m old school, but I knew I didn’t want to have to do that at my wedding!

Also, we could byob at our venue also. We chose to go with BevMo, rather than Costco, because they could deliver, and our wedding site was a little bit remote. So that’s something to consider as well, especially if you’re buying a LOT of alcohol, like we were.
FWIW, we did not have a DO coordinator (this was not really a thing when I got married? Maybe it was other places?) Our catering place did the table release stuff, and the DJ drove the boat if you will.
But, I am pretty low key, and took the "if something happens on the day, nobody but you will notice its not right." to heart. And there were things that went wrong. like nobody filled the centerpieces with the floating candles with water before the photographer came to take pictures. All the big picture stuff happened more or less as planned.

Also here's a Q for all the wedding having folks, what was your first dance song?
We didn't do a first dance. My husband would be mortified if we had to do that 😂 We actually kind of eloped and just did a reception later. We had a dj and fun lights and music but didn't do any of the official dance stuff.

In my family, 125 is small. But, I mean, just my hubs immediate family was 20 people (parents, siblings, spouses, kids). And his mom has 12 siblings, his dad 11, my mom has 15, and my dad has 5. So I think we sent out like 150 invitations, and the initial guest list was around 500. We had about 220 actually come.
WOW. We have a lot of family but definitely not that much. And while we're hoping for everyone to make the trip from the Midwest to the east coast, we're not sure if everyone will. Hence the two back up lists.

@beccabun PE so i should give a little more info to explain how we kept the numbers down. i wish i could say that it was my hard nose, no-nonsense style of project management. but honestly, most of my husband's family couldn't travel internationally to make the wedding (visa issues, money, couldn't take time off work, failing health), so we had a mash up of a few actual family members, friends and "adopted family" from his college years who really took on the role. when he came to america, he had a college mom who pretty much took on the role as american mom for him. so she and her husband stepped in as his parents.

because of all of this, we are thinking about renewing our vows in jamaica to allow his family to attend and celebrate.

We didn't do have any kind of wedding planner or day of coordinator. But I will say that weddings receptions in the south are much less formal than other places seem to be. No assigned seating. No pre-selected, plated food. It's mostly a pretty informal party, but in fancy clothes. People arrive, sit or stand wherever. Waiters walking around with hors d'oeuvres. Multiple buffet lines that are self managed. No formal sit down toasts/speeches. I think my best man grabbed the mic and said some words between tossing the bouquet and the garter.

Also here's a Q for all the wedding having folks, what was your first dance song?
@txjennah PE @jean15paul_PE @civilrobot @djl @vhab49_PE @MeowMeow
Beyond by Leon Bridges. It was the song we were listening to in the car when I realized I loved her. 🥲
Also, totally agree with what @jean15paul_PE said- one of the floral arrangements went haywire in the middle of the sermon during our ceremony, and fell off a ledge onto the stage. My wife just laughed! Her mother was not quite so enthused, but neither here nor there! Enjoy the day!

FB95B747-EB89-49D3-8610-46BA2B662CC7_1_105_c.jpeg
These were my kitties.
Millie (brown) was the sweetest thing ever and a great big sister.
Siren (gray) was so frickin cute but a terror. Didn't have her long though.
My wife, the loveliest woman on earth is the perfect person for me in almost every way except this one: she's allergic to cats! I had to give my little buddies away when we got married. :cry:
...Totally worth it but I still miss my sweet kitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back