April 2018 15K SPAM thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the girder thickness? The polar crane that we worked on at FPL in St. Lucie was 115 ft span, and 200 ton. :thumbs:  

You want to see something even bigger? Here's a crane that a friend of mine worked on at Manitowoc Cranes called the "31000". The picture depicts it's 5,500,000 lb test lift.  Its the biggest outdoor crane I've ever encountered. It has 55m (180ft) of boom in the pictures and 44 parts of 50mm diameter rope. And to give you an idea of the sheer size of this beast, the entire engineering dept stood on the crane to get an idea of scale. :D   @Ble_PE (or any other structurals) any guesses as to how thick the concrete test pad had to be?

View attachment 11169

View attachment 11170
Was the test pad upwards of 3' thick? I'm thinking it must've been. Maybe 4' or 5'?

Or maybe higher. I don't have any experience designing crane test panels, though I know others in my office have.

be5aebcec41cf48be86fe3b70e5b7ca2.jpg

Since we're playing "whose is bigger"... ;)

The Bigge HLD.  One at both project sites, now decommissioned.  2.28M lbs on the hook in this picture for an actual lift.  Rated at 7500 tons capacity.  At the time, it was the tallest structure in South Carolina.  No counterweights, it connected via a MASSIVE cable system that had the other end buried deep in the ground.

I think they've got a couple Liebherr 13000's now that all of the biggest lifts are done.

maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back