April 2018 15K SPAM thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regular AutoCAD or AutoCAD Electrical? I'm using the latter and it's super buggy.
Every time I turn on/off ortho or grid snap it freezes. Then I have to tab out of AutoCAD. Tab back in. Hit F8 or F9 again, and then it'll do what I ask. Super annoying.
Sounds like someone has been negligent on their software updates. And/or needs a new PC that can handle it all well. :thumbs:

Sounds like someone has been negligent on their software updates. And/or needs a new PC that can handle it all well. :thumbs:
Not me! We don't have authority to do updates on our work computers. I think it's something to do with how it polls the server. Something, something, network. I don't know, I'll have to talk to IT.

Speaking of shitty computers... after YEARS of no upgrades, my boss said FTS and got 4 new ones from the project site today, to bring back to the office on Thursday.  So what email do I get 2 hours ago?  "Please drop your laptop off at X to be upgraded" from our shitty ass corporate IT.

Any idea of the capacity of said crane???

<----- former material handling employee for the nuclear industry
Uh, 25 ton I think.  No pictures, not designed yet.  In the overall scheme of where I typically have been designing crane systems, it is big (they are typically in the 500lb-5ton range) but last year I got to design a crane girder that was 80 feet long and had the high possibility of having (2) 50 tons, (2) 30 tons and (1) 75 ton crane on it.  It was a fracking beast of a girder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, 25 ton I think.  No pictures, not designed yet.  In the overall scheme of where I am typically have been designing crane systems, it is big (they are typically in the 500lb-5ton range) but last year I got to design a crane girder that was 80 feet long and had the high possibility of having (2) 50 tons, (2) 30 tons and (1) 75 ton crane on it.  It was a fracking beast of a girder.
What was the girder thickness? The polar crane that we worked on at FPL in St. Lucie was 115 ft span, and 200 ton. :thumbs:  

You want to see something even bigger? Here's a crane that a friend of mine worked on at Manitowoc Cranes called the "31000". The picture depicts it's 5,500,000 lb test lift.  Its the biggest outdoor crane I've ever encountered. It has 55m (180ft) of boom in the pictures and 44 parts of 50mm diameter rope. And to give you an idea of the sheer size of this beast, the entire engineering dept stood on the crane to get an idea of scale. :D   @Ble_PE (or any other structurals) any guesses as to how thick the concrete test pad had to be?

3151_2010Apr20_100.jpg

31000 Engineers 0410 LR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What was the girder thickness? The polar crane that we worked on at FPL in St. Lucie was 115 ft span, and 200 ton. :thumbs:  

You want to see something even bigger? Here's a crane that a friend of mine worked on at Manitowoc Cranes called the "31000". The picture depicts it's 5,500,000 lb test lift.  Its the biggest outdoor crane I've ever encountered. It has 55m (180ft) of boom in the pictures and 44 parts of 50mm diameter rope. And to give you an idea of the sheer size of this beast, the entire engineering dept stood on the crane to get an idea of scale. :D   @Ble_PE (or any other structurals) any guesses as to how thick the concrete test pad had to be?

View attachment 11169

View attachment 11170
This is a big crane.  I don't work on that kind of crane.  :)   That may very well be bigger than the building my crane is going in.

I always get put in the kayak with the 10 year old.  Who doesn't paddle. And likes to see what pretty patterns the paddle makes when you put it in the water.  Then yells at me for steering into the reeds.

And lets not talk about the first time we went canoeing, and I had no freaking idea what I was doing.  And someone decided to put my boat in the water first.  Sigh.  Eventually we figured it out, without tipping over even.
And you can't even divorce the 10 year old!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back