Anything new in your life since November 2010?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completed the supercritical boiler I was working on and made the move to the corporate office. Same company, but now doing all nuclear work with some cleanup duty on the fossil jobs that are winding down. Bought my first house in April of '11, which MIAF's daughter is doing her best to destroy. Other than that, SOS.
I saw your home theater thread. Most impressive sir.

I got this for Christmas this year:

http://www.lg.com/us/home-theater-systems/lg-LHB336-home-theater-system

Now I have home theater envy after seeing yours. It's certainly not even close to what you've done, but considering I have 3 kids under six sleeping upstairs, anything any louder and I'd wake them up. We have a family room so there's no place for a dedicated theater, but I did by a 55" Plasma and mounted it over the fireplace. It beats the hell out of what we did have which was a 27" CRT.

Sounds like things must be going well with MYAF and junior. Sounds like you need to start looking at rings pal. Where is the corporate office that you landed?

Completed the supercritical boiler I was working on and made the move to the corporate office. Same company, but now doing all nuclear work with some cleanup duty on the fossil jobs that are winding down. Bought my first house in April of '11, which MIAF's daughter is doing her best to destroy. Other than that, SOS.
I saw your home theater thread. Most impressive sir.

I got this for Christmas this year:

http://www.lg.com/us...-theater-system

Now I have home theater envy after seeing yours. It's certainly not even close to what you've done, but considering I have 3 kids under six sleeping upstairs, anything any louder and I'd wake them up. We have a family room so there's no place for a dedicated theater, but I did by a 55" Plasma and mounted it over the fireplace. It beats the hell out of what we did have which was a 27" CRT.

Sounds like things must be going well with MYAF and junior. Sounds like you need to start looking at rings pal. Where is the corporate office that you landed?
Thanks. Thankfully, Junior can sleep through just about anything, though most of its use comes out of Friday/Saturday movie nights. I too am contemplating moving the TV over the fireplace downstairs, but am wondering how big a PITA it will be to move the outlet, cable line, etc. Having the TV where it is really limits furniture arrangements in there now.

Corporate position is in uptown Charlotte. Bought a home just southwest of Charlotte on the SC line. I go out the front of the subdivison, I'm in Charlotte city proper. Out the back of the subdivision, I cross into SC. I wanted to stay southwest-ish of the city, because if the Lee nuclear project comes to fruition out in the Gaffney, SC area, I am slated for an engineering manager spot out there, and it would be a doable commute.

Thanks. Thankfully, Junior can sleep through just about anything, though most of its use comes out of Friday/Saturday movie nights. I too am contemplating moving the TV over the fireplace downstairs, but am wondering how big a PITA it will be to move the outlet, cable line, etc. Having the TV where it is really limits furniture arrangements in there now.

Corporate position is in uptown Charlotte. Bought a home just southwest of Charlotte on the SC line. I go out the front of the subdivison, I'm in Charlotte city proper. Out the back of the subdivision, I cross into SC. I wanted to stay southwest-ish of the city, because if the Lee nuclear project comes to fruition out in the Gaffney, SC area, I am slated for an engineering manager spot out there, and it would be a doable commute.
That's great. That's a nice area and the cost of living is reasonable. I'm up there fairly often. My brother lives in Concord and he and his wife had their first kid back in September so I try to visit every now and again. I'm heading up there next week for some training on a CAD package I purchased recently. Congrats on the house. And send some more pics on the finished home theater. Is the MYAF working again or is she staying at home with junior?

6db75a8d-d294-4128-87e4-1eeb01d62aae.jpg

That's great. That's a nice area and the cost of living is reasonable. I'm up there fairly often. My brother lives in Concord and he and his wife had their first kid back in September so I try to visit every now and again. I'm heading up there next week for some training on a CAD package I purchased recently. Congrats on the house. And send some more pics on the finished home theater. Is the MYAF working again or is she staying at home with junior?
MIAF is still cutting hair. Will take some more pics of the HT soon. I am anticipating starting to build the candy counter next weekend, maybe tomorrow if I get motivated. I have another movie poster to pick up from WalMart today (a website called TinStudio has fancy graphics of a TON of manufacturers logos, so I made a "this theater features" sign to go outside the door), some fixes to make here and there (hunting down some rattles, finish painting the trim, etc), and I really need to start planning a rack for the electronics (I want to get rid of the door to go behind the speakers and make it a moveable rack instead). Still large ways to go, but at least the popcorn machine is there and works great!

Let me know when you're up this way sometime, and we can meet up with Ble for a beer or seven!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back, CT! Glad to see that everything is going well for you. Let's see, since November 2010 mini-ble2 came along, I passed the new 2 day SE exam, and work is still limping along. Can't complain, I've got a beautiful family and life is good.

Let me know when you're up this way sometime, and we can meet up with Ble for a beer or seven!
Sounds good (but I don't think I will be drinking 7 beers with ya'll. Since having kids I've turned into quite the lightweight.)

I too took a 'net sabbatical from 'bout 12/10 to 12/11. Job-wise, somebody took a flyer on me and I'm working at the State level. Now its just pretty much getting ready for the whole end-of-days thingy this December :rolleyes:

Welcome back, CT! Glad to see that everything is going well for you. Let's see, since November 2010 mini-ble2 came along, I passed the new 2 day SE exam, and work is still limping along. Can't complain, I've got a beautiful family and life is good.

Sounds good (but I don't think I will be drinking 7 beers with ya'll. Since having kids I've turned into quite the lightweight.)
Having kids is all the more reason to drink...

I changed jobs twice, and am now working for the evil Feds. I am not personally involved in monitoring your activities, chucktown, but I did pass your name along.

Been simmering bones since Saturday in 2 separate pots. Now the bones come out and the liqud remaining is strained and reduced until thick like Jello.

MIAF is still cutting hair. Will take some more pics of the HT soon. I am anticipating starting to build the candy counter next weekend, maybe tomorrow if I get motivated. I have another movie poster to pick up from WalMart today (a website called TinStudio has fancy graphics of a TON of manufacturers logos, so I made a "this theater features" sign to go outside the door), some fixes to make here and there (hunting down some rattles, finish painting the trim, etc), and I really need to start planning a rack for the electronics (I want to get rid of the door to go behind the speakers and make it a moveable rack instead). Still large ways to go, but at least the popcorn machine is there and works great!

I'm definitely envious of your home theater system. I wish I had a spare room where I could create something like that. Maybe one day. I could also pop the top on my detached garage and build a room over which would serve as a home office/theater. The only problem is that I don't think the wife would want to leave the kids alone in the house.

I ran speaker wires this weekend to the rear channels and the subwoofer. I installed these:http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042503&p_id=3324&seq=1&format=2 near each speaker.

I'm leaving the center channel in the book case to the right of the television because Mrs. Chucktown has a major issue with me putting speakers on the mantle. The right front channel will be there as well but will be up in the shelves about 3 feet above the center channel. The left front channel is a major bone of contention right now. I'm trying to find some sort of telescoping bracket so it can sit behind the TV. The TV is angled down so there is about an 8 inch gap between the top of the TV and the wall at the top of the TV. I'm thinking I can mount a speaker bracket back there and when I want sound I can pull it out. I just can't find anything that's affordable.

Any thoughts on this arrangement from you home theater gurus? Also, is there a rule about not running speaker wire near electrical lines. Is there any risk of impedance in the lines?

I'm definitely envious of your home theater system. I wish I had a spare room where I could create something like that. Maybe one day. I could also pop the top on my detached garage and build a room over which would serve as a home office/theater. The only problem is that I don't think the wife would want to leave the kids alone in the house.

I ran speaker wires this weekend to the rear channels and the subwoofer. I installed these:http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2 near each speaker.

I'm leaving the center channel in the book case to the right of the television because Mrs. Chucktown has a major issue with me putting speakers on the mantle. The right front channel will be there as well but will be up in the shelves about 3 feet above the center channel. The left front channel is a major bone of contention right now. I'm trying to find some sort of telescoping bracket so it can sit behind the TV. The TV is angled down so there is about an 8 inch gap between the top of the TV and the wall at the top of the TV. I'm thinking I can mount a speaker bracket back there and when I want sound I can pull it out. I just can't find anything that's affordable.

Any thoughts on this arrangement from you home theater gurus? Also, is there a rule about not running speaker wire near electrical lines. Is there any risk of impedance in the lines?
If you're really space limited, you may want to consider replacing the front three speakers with a sound bar (L,C,R all in a single enclosure). The problem with offsetting the speakers to the right of the screen and compromising the speaker arrangement is that the voicing will be all off, e.g., it's going to sound like someone is talking to the left of the screen.

As far as running it near electrical wires, rule of thumb is to cross at 90° if it has to cross at all.

If you're really space limited, you may want to consider replacing the front three speakers with a sound bar (L,C,R all in a single enclosure). The problem with offsetting the speakers to the right of the screen and compromising the speaker arrangement is that the voicing will be all off, e.g., it's going to sound like someone is talking to the left of the screen.
+1. Prices are usually pretty reasonable too.

As far as running it near electrical wires, rule of thumb is to cross at 90° if it has to cross at all.
Good rule of thumb though I've never encountered any distortion or interference issues. Typically where your home theater equipment and speaker wiring is, there isn't anything that has enough high power that it would induce interference/distortion.

Back