Anyone Taking the October ME PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's fine. Finding a couple of answers for a couple of obscure questions in a "just in case" reference was worth it for me. I don't have to take the test again.

I would take a Marks Standard if you can -- I found a couple of obscure references in there when I took the exam. I would also take an ASHRAE Fundamentals, even if you're not taking the HVAC depth. I found some good stuff in there too.

Like Master Slacker said, this is just advice from those that have been there before. Take from it whatever you want.

In my opinion, its worth lugging in the extra books just in case you run across a problem you have never seen and have no clue on. If you have a few extra minutes to look up the Index in Marks or whatnot, its better than guessing.

I will be taking lots of references in. I may only use a few of them but they'll be there if I need them.

I plan to take

MERM*

MERM Questions and Solutions

6 Minute problems (3 of them)

ASHRAE (all 4 Books)*

Crane*

Cameron's

1 three ring binder with my 4 equations sheets, ASHRAE Index and MERM index*

My 8 Clemson refresher course workbooks*

Shigleys

Sample Exams (1995, 2001, 2008)

Keenan and Kaye steam tables book US Customary*

Keenan and Kaye steam tables book SI*

Keenan and Kaye gas tables book US Customary

Keenan and Kaye gas tables book SI

Unit Conversions*

That's all I can think of. Thats a lot of books and workbooks. My guess is, I will only use the ones with an * by them. I guess it never hurts to bring in extra books as long as you are familiar with them. Oh and I have another MERM that will be in my truck so I will have it at lunch if I need to look something up.

I would not plan on using your practice exams, worked problems, solutions, etc... Those WILL be a crutch. You'll see a problem in the exam that "looks" familiar and then spend time looking for that practice problem and how to solve it. Truth is, the PE problem will not be anything like the practice problem and you just wasted 2+ minutes looking for it. :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not plan on using your practice exams, worked problems, solutions, etc... Those WILL be a crutch. You'll see a problem in the exam that "looks" familiar and then spend time looking for that practice problem and how to solve it. Truth is, the PE problem will not be anything like the practice problem and you just wasted 2+ minutes looking for it. :2cents:
I agree to this somewhat but not completely. The reason being that I did happen to take all my sample exams, 6 minute soultions, practice problems books ect. and to my amazement found a problem on the exam that were almost identical to a problem in one of the books. It just happened that I took a quick glance at one of my problems books the night before in the hotel, and when I saw that same problem on the test I remembered where it was in the problems book and was able to look it up.

Now granted this example is just plain dumb luck, but it saved me on one question. Sometimes one question is the difference between passing and not passing....so as long as you don't fall into the trap of using those practice problem books as a crutch, I think its a good idea to take them all. Just in case!

I will mainly use the MERM and my worked samples (with equations and solved methods)...I don't know it is the right approach or not because this is my first time try taking the PE.....But I will bring all related books which I have to the exam (just be a backup)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back