Anyone other Envls here?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VtEnviro:

I am an Environmental Eng. - degree is in Civil (the Env. program at my school wasn't ABET accredited by the time I graduated, so I did Civil with all the same classes required for Env.)

Based largely on that, I took and passed the Civil PE with Env. afternoon. I've been in the Enviro business for about 15 years.

Wow, didn't mean to tell my life story, but there you go....

Hi. My BS is in Chemical Engineering but I have worked in Env since I graduated. I consider myself an Env Eng.

There is probably more here than you think.

I have a BS ChE and passed the October 06 Env PE (very suprising)

I have been dealing with wastewater issues for over 16 years.

It is weird when people ask - what kind of engineer are you ?? Truth of the matter, the work I do is primarily enviornmental (remediation/waste management) but then I do a whole lot more than just your average turd tumbler
sterb127.gif

I ended up taking the Civil Principles & Practice exam, because my education was more aligned with the Civil - Env, Geotech, and WR subject matter than the Env Principles & Practice exam. I was also looking for the portability and broad scope of practice that passing the Civil PE exam would provide.

I think for someone with a ChE background that the Env Priniciples & Practice exam would be suitable, both fields emphasize process design. '.02' There is a level of comfort when approaching problems from that perspective. Some of the regulatory and biological topics would probably be unfamiliar territory, but I assume that is easy enough to remedy.

Best of luck in your preparation.

JR

When people ask me I tell them I'm civil with a focus on envl.

My degree is envl, but on the job I've done the environmental side of civil rather than straight envl.

Stuff like water and sewer, permitting, stormwater, erosion control, etc.

As opposed to straight up landfill design or haz wastes.

My degree is also in chemical engineering and I work in environmental. I took a large number of environmental classes in school so Ive got a pretty broad base of knowledge.

I mostly do hazardous waste investigations (fun!), remediation of waste sites (fun!) and environmental planning (NOT fun!). Unfortunately the (NOT fun!) is out numbering the (fun!) lately and Im seriously considering moving on after I finish the class Im taking this semester.

Last edited by a moderator:
BS Chem E, MS Env E... But I consider myself more of an Env E with concentration of water/wastewater.

I've got a BS and MS in Envl, but work more in the civil field. So I consider myself a civil with a specialty in envl
I have BS in EnvE and finishing MS in Civil (Geotechnical) plus I have started coursework towards PhD in ChemE.

So, I consider myself confused :huh:

13.gif

JR

I have BS in EnvE and finishing MS in Civil (Geotechnical) plus I have started coursework towards PhD in ChemE.
So, I consider myself confused :huh:

13.gif

JR

So what area are you going to focus on? I'd recommend taking at least one electrochemical engineering course. It was a tech elective for my undergrad, but half the class was PhD students. It was great real world stuff...like being able to calculate how long it would take for water to rust out metal bridge supports and the thickness needed when coating electronic boards...I know it sounds dorky, but if the basics would have been taught in the same real world contexts, I probably would have done a lot better in school.

So what area are you going to focus on? I'd recommend taking at least one electrochemical engineering course. It was a tech elective for my undergrad, but half the class was PhD students. It was great real world stuff...like being able to calculate how long it would take for water to rust out metal bridge supports and the thickness needed when coating electronic boards...I know it sounds dorky, but if the basics would have been taught in the same real world contexts, I probably would have done a lot better in school.
It is funny. On a whim, I thought it would be cool to take a few ChemE classes and I was required to start of with a Energy and Material Balance class. Okay, it was introductory level .. blah, blah, blah .. but I actually learned a lot from that class! I was especially fascinated by the degree of freedom analysis - this has come in handy for A LOT of the hazardous waste treatment/disposal calculations and some more complicated remediation projects that I review.

My primary area of interest concerns immiscible fluids in porous media. I have taken my fair share of EnvE and CivE coursework to where I feel I cannot really benefit from another fate and transport class. Concepts like chemical thermodynamics and phase separations is the way to take my education to the next level, so that is what I plan to focus on. I would like to take a broad range of classes just because I enjoy a good challenge. :BS: Ultimately, I would like to develop a dissertation project that evaluates the groundwater mechanics of Dense Non-Aqueous Phase Liquid (DNAPL) through porous media that addresses fate and transport on a smaller scale than conventional models (MODFLOW, MCT3D, etc.).

So how's that for a nerdy answer for you ??
1.gif

JR

I cannot really benefit from another fate and transport class. Concepts like chemical thermodynamics and phase separations is the way to take my education to the next level
I took your traditional mechanical engineer's thermo class. It was fine and interesting enough I guess. But I also had a whole bunch of chemical thermo in my envl chem classes and I liked that much more.

I took your traditional mechanical engineer's thermo class. It was fine and interesting enough I guess. But I also had a whole bunch of chemical thermo in my envl chem classes and I liked that much more.
My ChemE thermo was split into 2 semesters. The first one covered typical thermo (laws of thermo, heat cycles, engines etc). The second semester focused almost exclusively on vapor-liquid equilibrium (VLE) which is the bread and butter of chemical engineering. Knowledge of VLE has helped me so much in environmental work and I highly recommend that anyone taking a thermo class take one that focuses on VLE.

I always found the stuff on spontaneity of reactions to be the most helpful.

You know the stuff like: Will scale form on this pipe at this temperature and this concentration of Ca, etc.

I'm an Env. New to this forum. Degree is in Petroleum, but evolved to environmental due to lack of work. Graduated from Miss State.

Welcome! I'm an ME myself, but also evolved (devolved?) into an Enviro, after doing oilfield work for a while. Are you taking the exam this April? Or already passed? I took it in OCtober and passed, but am still waiting on my state board to decide on my license application.

Welcome! I'm an ME myself, but also evolved (devolved?) into an Enviro, after doing oilfield work for a while. Are you taking the exam this April? Or already passed? I took it in OCtober and passed, but am still waiting on my state board to decide on my license application.
Taking the exam in October.........So, I'm looking for any advice I can get on preparation.

Back