Adding Credentials

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my Maryland PE license number and applied for my original license. They say it will take 48 to 72 hours before I can print off my license and will a paper copy of it within 4 weeks. Beyond excited!!
Hi SUGGSosarus.. Did you already receive an email from DRRL with your license/registration number? I'm still waiting for mine... Thought it would be up to two weeks. Can't wait to add those two little letters after my name in my email signature :)

Hi SUGGSosarus.. Did you already receive an email from DRRL with your license/registration number? I'm still waiting for mine... Thought it would be up to two weeks. Can't wait to add those two little letters after my name in my email signature :)
Yea. I received the email yesterday from DLLR with my number. It was a great feeling switching my letters from EIT to PE in my email signature. 

Same...  They must be adding 1 by 1 and sending out emails as they go. 

Is it possible in TX to submit your paperwork and apply for a license without taking the test. Then eventually pass the test and become a PE the next day?

Or is that fraudulent?

I have seen many fellow engineers awarding themselves the PE title after passing the test. 

Is it possible in TX to submit your paperwork and apply for a license without taking the test. Then eventually pass the test and become a PE the next day?

Or is that fraudulent?

I have seen many fellow engineers awarding themselves the PE title after passing the test. 
Not fraudulent. That's pretty much how everyone I know did it and if I'm not mistaken used to be required. Submit all your info then you were approved to take the test.

Your passing result was the last step. The TBPE roster then listed them as an active PE on the same day. 

In TX the exam can be decoupled from everything else. All you need is to pass the FE to be approved for the PE exam. Once you passed the PE, you might still need to wait 3-8 years depending on your degree and work experience before you can apply. 

I’d love to add PE to my name, but I saw that even though I turned everything in, it’s pending for review. Turnaround time 6-8 weeks.

I’ll wait. Adding a title without approval is prohibited in TX. However, it’s great to turn everything in and to become a PE immedialtye after passing the results. 

Same...  They must be adding 1 by 1 and sending out emails as they go. 
FYI for fellow Marylanders.. I just received the email from DLLR with my registration / license number and can proceed with paying the last bit of $$$ to wrap up my journey down this long and winding road that is PE licensure. If you haven't yet, your DLLR email should be coming soon.

FYI for fellow Marylanders.. I just received the email from DLLR with my registration / license number and can proceed with paying the last bit of $$$ to wrap up my journey down this long and winding road that is PE licensure. If you haven't yet, your DLLR email should be coming soon.
Got mine... Do you show up on the roster search yet? 

Got mine... Do you show up on the roster search yet? 

Not yet... I just paid the license fee.. Should be 48-72 hours afterwards.. I think the registration number they sent becomes our license number? I'm going to wait for that to be sure before ordering my stamp.
Was your registration number something like 52xxx? Then yeah, it'll become your license number. Might as well commit it to memory now.

I could find my name on the roster search the day after I paid, but for me the next day was a weekday. If you did it today you might have to wait until Monday? IIRC the expiration date was 2 years after the day that I paid the money. So you may already be licensed... but still wait until you see yourself in the database before you change your email sig, business cards, and buy a stamp.

Was your registration number something like 52xxx? Then yeah, it'll become your license number. Might as well commit it to memory now.

I could find my name on the roster search the day after I paid, but for me the next day was a weekday. If you did it today you might have to wait until Monday? IIRC the expiration date was 2 years after the day that I paid the money. So you may already be licensed... but still wait until you see yourself in the database before you change your email sig, business cards, and buy a stamp.
Yep.. 52XXX series. I'll wait. I won't have to pay (at least, not as as much) for my stamp since I was one of the lucky winners of the giveaways from PE Stamps.com that was touted elsewhere.. 

What about updating you LinkedIn as a PE? Do you need to wait until your actual license is issued for that?

Adding credentials after your name is the pinnacle of all the work that was done to accomplish a long-awaited goal. Even on the engineerboards I've seen instances of premature PE usage.

There was someone that had the username "[username] PE".  They ended up not passing, and then they wanted to take off the "PE" portion of their name. I felt terrible for them. I forgot who it was, but I hope whoever you were you passed this time around, and you put that PE back at the end of your name right where it belongs! It's weird, I've been thinking about them (a person I've never met) since the test in April and pulling for them. This is why I like this community here. /END SAPPY STORY

What about updating you LinkedIn as a PE? Do you need to wait until your actual license is issued for that?

Absolutely wait. You cannot represent yourself as a professional engineer without a license. Because the license hasn't been issued you as of yet, just don't even risk it. The difference between a couple days is not a big deal.

Yes, LinkedIn is essentially advertising your services to the public so you especially want to wait there. It would however be a factual statement to say that you have passed the PPE exam and are awaiting license. But you might be disciplined soon anyway, so you might as well wait.

Adding credentials after your name is the pinnacle of all the work that was done to accomplish a long-awaited goal. Even on the engineerboards I've seen instances of premature PE usage.

There was someone that had the username "[username] PE".  They ended up not passing, and then they wanted to take off the "PE" portion of their name. I felt terrible for them. I forgot who it was, but I hope whoever you were you passed this time around, and you put that PE back at the end of your name right where it belongs! It's weird, I've been thinking about them (a person I've never met) since the test in April and pulling for them. This is why I like this community here. /END SAPPY STORY
I mostly agree with the above statement. I don't really see the issue with people adding the PE after their username here after they pass the test but before getting license. No one is really offering their services to the public here so there is no misrepresentation per se. Plus no one is actually using their real identity in these forums anyway.

Was your registration number something like 52xxx? Then yeah, it'll become your license number
Mine is a 43xxx, and when I search it, it comes up as EIT,  and under my maiden name. I think that's only the case for my because I took the FE in MD. I would have thought they would have given a new license number, rather than reused my EIT number.

Mine is a 43xxx, and when I search it, it comes up as EIT,  and under my maiden name. I think that's only the case for my because I took the FE in MD. I would have thought they would have given a new license number, rather than reused my EIT number.
I know that some states recycle FE/PE numbers while some issue new numbers. I was an EIT in PA, PE in MD and lazily assumed it would be a new number. I guess Maryland recycles. Could be useful information for the next round of Maryland passers.

So they still don't have you in the system as a PE yet? When did you pay?

How about you @Jimbo Three, any progress?

I mostly agree with the above statement. I don't really see the issue with people adding the PE after their username here after they pass the test but before getting license. No one is really offering their services to the public here so there is no misrepresentation per se. Plus no one is actually using their real identity in these forums anyway.

I think my feeling is more self-directed. It wouldn't have even crossed my mind to add PE to my username here before I passed the PE exam. Now if I would have joined after you better believe my name would have been "Snevah PE". But ultimately you are totally right, there is ZERO problem with someone adding it to a username before passing the PE. I mostly had sad feelings for "[username] PE" guy making the decision to take the "PE" off. I just hope he decides to (and can) put it back.

Long story short, I agree with you on the usernames etiquette... usernames here don't matter. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that some states recycle FE/PE numbers while some issue new numbers. I was an EIT in PA, PE in MD and lazily assumed it would be a new number. I guess Maryland recycles. Could be useful information for the next round of Maryland passers.

So they still don't have you in the system as a PE yet? When did you pay?

How about you @Jimbo Three, any progress?
I paid on Friday afternoon, so I didn't expect any change until today. I'm curious about where @Jimbo Three is at too.

Back