Adding Credentials

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Illinois you must have 4 years experience working under a licensed PE. The PE will fill out a VE-PNG form and sign and seal it in an envelope then return it to the applicant to include with his/her application. I just had this conversation with my boss who will help me with my VE-PNG form. He also told me about the required PDH's for renewing licenses.. which i had no idea about.
I don't know what your discipline is but Megger and AVO Training Institute both have free monthly webinars that are worth one pdh each.  Megger did one last month on harmonics that I found interesting.  

In Virginia, all the licensing application actions take place prior to taking the exam. The Board assigns you your license number in advance. I spoke with DPOR and they will have to manually enter our info on their website which will take 2 weeks but we can refer to our license numbers assigned to us in the PE License Application email. 

I filed my PE application yesterday I’m TX. I was told it takes 6-8 weeks. Was told the same when I applied for a EIT and obtained it after 2 weeks. 

Does anybody have any information about recent turnaround times?

According to the Minnesota's board, there are instructions sent with the official "you passed" letter (still waiting on it). I had to apply for the license first so I believe it is as simple paying them money and they give me a number. Anyone from MN have any experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
I filed my PE application yesterday I’m TX. I was told it takes 6-8 weeks. Was told the same when I applied for a EIT and obtained it after 2 weeks. 

Does anybody have any information about recent turnaround times?
If you just submittd the application, it will take 6 - 8 weeks. Mine was submitted in Nov last year and the approval came in this Jan.

The reason I guess was the number of applictions is large, but when it comes to your turn, its pretty fast.

You can track the progress online.

:party-smiley-048:

According to the Minnesota's board, there are instructions sent with the official "you passed" letter (still waiting on it). I had to apply for the license first so I believe it is as simple paying them money and they give me a number. Anyone from MN have any experience?
Yep, that's about it.

Pay the man and you'll get a number.

In Oregon you take the PE Exam before you even apply for license. So now that I just did the exam, I now have to actually apply for license and provide references, and document work experience etc to jump through all those hoops. So I’m still a good 3-6 months away from having P.E. after my name. :(

At least the test is out of the way. 

In Oregon you take the PE Exam before you even apply for license. So now that I just did the exam, I now have to actually apply for license and provide references, and document work experience etc to jump through all those hoops. So I’m still a good 3-6 months away from having P.E. after my name. :(

At least the test is out of the way. 
Michigan is similar but they let you transmit your NCEES record rather than all the documentation. Is Oregon the same? Might save you some time and hassle.

So if we have passed the PE exam should we wait until after paying the licensing fee and being assigned a license number before displaying the “PE” credentials? 
can you drive a car prior to obtaining your driver's license?

Can you operate on a person prior to obtaining your medical license?

Can you practice law prior to obtaining your lawyer license?

this is pretty straight forward

Michigan is similar but they let you transmit your NCEES record rather than all the documentation. Is Oregon the same? Might save you some time and hassle.
I need to call OSBEELS. The website and application are a bit confusing. It appears you can transmit your NCEES record if you are already licensed, like if you moved here from out of state and we’re already licensed, but not if you are a new first timer. Weird. I need all my college transcripts and 5 (at least 3 being PEs) refencences to fill out a multiple page reference form, plus a bunch of writing up examples of my work etc. The license application itself might be harder than the darn PE Exam was. Then if all that goes through, I have to wait until their October board meeting to be reviewed there. It’s a journey. Even more difficult because I work for the federal gov (D.O.E.) where no one has a PE because we’re not required to, so finding PE references is nightmare. None of my supervisors have even been PEs, but I think there’s some waiver somewhere on that requirement of working under a PE if you’re federal because they know there are  about 1 or 2 PEs out of like 600 engineers. 

Im one of the only weirdos doing this for personal achievement, with zero raise or recognition for it. No extra money, no promotions. But if I ever go private sector or retire and want to become a consultant, it will be worth it. 

I need to call OSBEELS. The website and application are a bit confusing. It appears you can transmit your NCEES record if you are already licensed, like if you moved here from out of state and we’re already licensed, but not if you are a new first timer. Weird. I need all my college transcripts and 5 (at least 3 being PEs) refencences to fill out a multiple page reference form, plus a bunch of writing up examples of my work etc. The license application itself might be harder than the darn PE Exam was. Then if all that goes through, I have to wait until their October board meeting to be reviewed there. It’s a journey. Even more difficult because I work for the federal gov (D.O.E.) where no one has a PE because we’re not required to, so finding PE references is nightmare. None of my supervisors have even been PEs, but I think there’s some waiver somewhere on that requirement of working under a PE if you’re federal because they know there are  about 1 or 2 PEs out of like 600 engineers. 

Im one of the only weirdos doing this for personal achievement, with zero raise or recognition for it. No extra money, no promotions. But if I ever go private sector or retire and want to become a consultant, it will be worth it. 
In WA, being a federal employee exempts you from needing to work under a PE. Although you still need "3 PE references" out of 5. I know a lot of people from undergrad that got their PE before me and 2 of my federal co-workers got theirs as well so I had plenty of references. Fortunately I had to apply and be accepted prior to the exam so that part is over with for me! Just waiting on my license number now. 

Also, are there no jobs at BPA that require a PE? I could have sworn I've seen a few postings that required a PE or on the path to obtaining a PE (already have EIT, about to take PE). I know for a fact Army Core of Engineers and WAPA (Western Area Power Administration) have job postings that require a PE. 

In WA, being a federal employee exempts you from needing to work under a PE. Although you still need "3 PE references" out of 5. I know a lot of people from undergrad that got their PE before me and 2 of my federal co-workers got theirs as well so I had plenty of references. Fortunately I had to apply and be accepted prior to the exam so that part is over with for me! Just waiting on my license number now. 

Also, are there no jobs at BPA that require a PE? I could have sworn I've seen a few postings that required a PE or on the path to obtaining a PE (already have EIT, about to take PE). I know for a fact Army Core of Engineers and WAPA (Western Area Power Administration) have job postings that require a PE. 
There are very few that have it as a specific requirement, but many job postings have it listed as an OPTION to qualify. Like “to meet the requirements of this xxxx position, qualified candidates must have an ABET accredited degree OR a valid PE license, OR 10 years engineering experience ” for example. 

Oregon is listed as a state that you can use the NCEES record for initial licensure. 

CA001DA8-9B02-4A5F-B8D3-50570F48C88A.png

Even more difficult because I work for the federal gov (D.O.E.) where no one has a PE because we’re not required to, so finding PE references is nightmare. None of my supervisors have even been PEs, but I think there’s some waiver somewhere on that requirement of working under a PE if you’re federal because they know there are  about 1 or 2 PEs out of like 600 engineers.
PEs aren't that uncommon in DOE or at the Federal level. It becomes more common in organizations that deal with regulators, or self regulations (DOE/AU) and there are some jobs that require a PE particularly at the supervisory level. It may take some effort but you should be able to find 3 PE references either within your organization and/or field office. Worst case someone may be able to point you in the direction of one.

One nice thing about Georgia is that they apparently issue the PE # before they authorize NCEES to release the results.  On the other hand, it makes for an anxious wait when everyone is receiving their Pass/Fail results on Day 1.  We have to apply and pay fee up front before being allowed to sit for the exam. 

PEs aren't that uncommon in DOE or at the Federal level. It becomes more common in organizations that deal with regulators, or self regulations (DOE/AU) and there are some jobs that require a PE particularly at the supervisory level. It may take some effort but you should be able to find 3 PE references either within your organization and/or field office. Worst case someone may be able to point you in the direction of one.
Can confirm.  I work for an sub-agency of DOE and there are plenty of PEs here.

Does anyone know how long it takes for NY from past experiences? The website says 4-6 weeks to check eligibility.
NY application process already includes the whole 4 year experience, recommendations and all before being approved to sit for the test, so I was thinking this 4-6 weeks sounds too long?

Does anyone know how long it takes for NY from past experiences? The website says 4-6 weeks to check eligibility.
NY application process already includes the whole 4 year experience, recommendations and all before being approved to sit for the test, so I was thinking this 4-6 weeks sounds too long?
Best bet is to check past test cycles. People always post when the license numbers start coming out. Seems to me that NY is a longer wait than other states.

I just got my Maryland PE license number and applied for my original license. They say it will take 48 to 72 hours before I can print off my license and will a paper copy of it within 4 weeks. Beyond excited!!

Back